Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Discounts the Fire Phone to 99 Cents Right Before Apple Announces New iPhone

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Amazon Discounts the Fire Phone to 99 Cents Right Before Apple Announces New iPhone

Apple’s announcement for the next generation iPhone 6 is so close that we can almost feel it. But as the world is patiently anticipating the new lineup, Amazon has discounted their smartphone, the Fire Phone to 99˘ for customers signing a new two-year contract. It’s only been a month and a half since Amazon released the Fire Phone, which has a 4.7-inch display. It was priced at $199 for consumers with a two-year contract, which was the same price as the iPhone 5s. The only difference was that the Fire Phone has 32GB of storage compared to the 16GB for Apple’s device that was starting at $199.

Amazon’s Fire Phone only accounts for .015% of all smartphones currently used in Canada and the U.S. That number is pretty low, which means Amazon’s first try at the smartphone market did not do very well. The decreased price of the device comes just one day before the Cupertino-based company is expected to announce the iPhone 6 and the rumored ‘iPhone 6 Plus.’ We are assuming that Amazon’s decrease in price is it’s attempt to get as many customers to switch over to its device before Apple releases their new ones.

Source: Amazon
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-09-09 at 06:13 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

It might be worth mentioning that it's only available for AT&T.

Default Amazon Discounts the Fire Phone to 99 Cents Right Before Apple Releases New i...
    Right before they ANNOUNCE IT NOT RELEASE IT.

This is a smart move. Effective? Only time will tell. Amazon needs market share and the subsequent product testers/reviews that new Fire Phone owners will become. Gaining support for the Fire Phone is obviously paramount in order for it to gain any traction. It's a late start in this smart phone game, but the product seems good. We shall see if this marketing scheme works.

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Good catch, fixed.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

After looking at the reviews, they won't get anywhere with this. The average is 3 out of 5 stars. They need to stop trying to create an amazon purchase device/leash and improve the UI. I have the kindle fire hdx and hate the UI.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's more of a Desperate move. They aren't sure how the iPhone6 will be received. I think they should have left it at $199 to compete with the other iPhone versions 5,C,S because you KNOW Apple is going to lower the prices on those models and those Idiots who already WASTED their upgrade on a 5S will be in for a SHOCK & then they'll try & sell theirs to get the 6 and get LESS then what they paid for their 5S.

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Chill brah!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    This is a smart move. Effective? Only time will tell.
    How can it definitely be a smart move, but the effectiveness is questionable? Don't they go hand in hand?

This does smack of desperation. They may gain a few quick sales, but they'll lose out in value image. Now the Fire phone will just appear to be another $1 cheapo Android phone like the rest of the budget models. And timing it right before Apple's event just makes them look desperate, scared, and not at all confident in their own product.

But it's fun to see Bezos running scared and making more bad choices. I want to see Amazon die a painful death.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-09 at 01:35 PM.

Default Amazon Discounts the Fire Phone to 99 Cents Right Before Apple Announces New ...
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    How can it definitely be a smart move, but the effectiveness is questionable? Don't they go hand in hand?
    No they don't. It was smart to try and take as much as they could before the new iPhone steals headlines for 4 months. We will see how effective it is. They should have done this a week ago.

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    I think it's more of a Desperate move. They aren't sure how the iPhone6 will be received. I think they should have left it at $199 to compete with the other iPhone versions 5,C,S because you KNOW Apple is going to lower the prices on those models and those Idiots who already WASTED their upgrade on a 5S will be in for a SHOCK & then they'll try & sell theirs to get the 6 and get LESS then what they paid for their 5S.
    I used my upgrade to get a 5S, does that make me an idiot? I have the money to buy the 6+ if that's what its even called, plus Sprint has easy pay if I wanted to make payments on a phone.. so I am most certainly not in for a "shock" I bought my phone well knowing what I was doing.

That's was probably the most ignorant sentence I read so far today.

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    I used my upgrade to get a 5S, does that make me an idiot? I have the money to buy the 6+ if that's what its even called, plus Sprint has easy pay if I wanted to make payments on a phone.. so I am most certainly not in for a "shock" I bought my phone well knowing what I was doing.

That's was probably the most ignorant sentence I read so far today.
    Well, it really depends onthe timing of your upgrade. If it was within the last couple of months I'd say it was a bad move on your part, regardless of how much disposable money you have or what payment plans Sprint offers.

the moment the new phone hits the market it will be the most valuable and all other models will instantly be worth at least $100 less. If you had just waited to upgrade you could have received the new phone, sold it, bought a new 5S and pocketed the difference.

I wouldn't be as much of a jerk as the guy you responded to, but in all honesty, people who upgraded to a 5S in the past couple ofm onths did not make a good decision.

Who wants to buy a phone who's main purpose is to get you to spend more money at Amazon. The phone should have been free on contract when it was first released.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Amazon had attractive young women at Comic Con showing off their phone, it had just been released right about then if I remember. It seemed like it had some cool features, but the OS is the same crap as the one on my Kindle, and it's just not that user friendly. This young lady was showing me the phone and then as I had turned to leave, I saw her reach into her pocket, pull out her iPhone, and respond to a text.

I went up to her and told her that was all I needed to know about the Amazon phone! If even she was still using the iPhone as her personal phone, I was not interested in the Amazon one.