Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spotify to Soon Let You Watch Video Ads for 30-minute Free Music Sessions

Default Spotify to Soon Let You Watch Video Ads for 30-minute Free Music Sessions

Spotify, the highly popular Internet music-streaming service, will soon begin offering users a new feature called Sponsored Sessions, which basically allow the user to watch a 15 or 30-second video in order to be able to listen to uninterrupted music for a duration of 30 minutes long.

With the new feature, brands and companies can get connected with Spotify and advertise their products via video to the users of Spotify, and in turn, the user can watch the video advertisements to listen to a long duration of ad-free music. The promise of 30 minutes of uninterrupted music immediately following the video ad sounds pretty nice too.

Brands and companies reaching out to Spotify to take advantage of this feature will be able to stream HD video advertisements to users. Spotify notes that the feature will only be made available on mobile devices at this point in time, but that could change in the future.

The video advertisements will only affect free users and not those that are subscribed to Spotify Premium. Spotify Premium is a $9.99 subscription service per month, or $4.99 per month for students. You can download the Spotify application for free from the iOS App Store at this link.

Sources: Spotify via Engadget

Smart. Actually, I think more products should be free and ad-based.

Like smartphone data - watch an ad and get 20mb of data, or something similar. That would increase my ad-watching from zero-per-month to a heckuva lot more.

This has been available for weeks, maybe more. I had to get a new debit card due to possible fraud behavior on account and forgot to update spotify last month. So my subscription didn't renew and I had to use the free one till I got my new card in the mail. Anyhow, listening to the free version only allowed me to shuffle songs from an album and gave a certain amount of skips like pandora does. After a while it told you to watch a video clip for 30 mins of uninterrupted music. This was early last month. So it's not a coming soon feature, it's been implemented for some time in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    This has been available for weeks, maybe more. I had to get a new debit card due to possible fraud behavior on account and forgot to update spotify last month. So my subscription didn't renew and I had to use the free one till I got my new card in the mail. Anyhow, listening to the free version only allowed me to shuffle songs from an album and gave a certain amount of skips like pandora does. After a while it told you to watch a video clip for 30 mins of uninterrupted music. This was early last month. So it's not a coming soon feature, it's been implemented for some time in my experience.
    It was probably a test run for a select few people then, because Spotify has just announced this publicly last week and has been rolling out to users recently.

This is something I could get into. Spotify's subscription service didn't do much for me. It'd never been something I'd use enough to warrant the cost.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Will this list your account as Premium for the period of time or some separate type? There are apps that let you play a song through them if you have a premium Spotify account, and while I'm not gonna pay for a service I'll rarely use I'd be willing to watch an ad or two.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!