Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Put Your Jailbroken iOS Device Into Safe Mode to Remove a Conflicting Tweak

Default How to Put Your Jailbroken iOS Device Into Safe Mode to Remove a Conflicting Tweak

Every once in a while, you get a jailbreak tweak that spazzes out on you, or conflicts with another tweak; and sometimes, your device goes into some kind of a boot loop that makes you feel like you need to restore your device. Fortunately, the latest version of Cydia Substrate has a function built into it that lets you boot your device into a state where Cydia Substrate is disabled (thus, all jailbreak tweaks are disabled) so you can remove the conflicting tweak without having to restore your device.

Sometimes, this function can really save your buns. It's not a 100% faultless way to bring your device back to life, but in most cases where a jailbreak tweak is to blame for an issue, Cydia Substrate's safety function can be useful. In case you've never used Cydia Substrate's safety feature before, we'll let you in on how to use it. To get into this mode, you can follow the following five steps:

1. First of all, you need the latest version of Cydia Substrate installed – the latest version of Cydia Substrate is version 0.9.5012.

2. Next up, you need your device to power off somehow. You might be asking yourself, "well, my device is spazzing out right now, so how am I supposed to bring up the slide to power off slider?"

In this case, it isn't necessary to do that. You can hold down both the power and the home button on your iOS device at the same time to force what's known as a hard reboot. Your device's display will suddenly shut off, and the next time you press the power button, it will begin to reboot.

3. Press the power button to make your device start turning on.

4. Now, immediately as soon as the device begins rebooting, you will see an Apple logo on your display. When you see this, hold down the volume up button on the side of your device, and don't let go of it until you see the Lock Screen. By the time your Lock Screen comes up, you can let go of the volume up button and you should be in a state where Cydia Substrate is disabled.

5. One way to check if you're actually in this mode is to go to your Settings application and check to see if any preference panes for your jailbreak tweaks are there. If the preference panes for any of your jailbreak tweaks are still there, that means PreferenceLoader is still loading your jailbreak tweaks and you failed to enter Cydia Substrate's safety mode. If the preference panes that you're used to seeing in your Settings application aren't there anymore, then congratulations, you did it successfuly!

Now that you're in a mode where all of your tweaks are disabled, you're free to visit the Cydia application and remove any jailbreak tweak(s) that you believe are at fault for your iOS device crashing or boot looping.

After you remove the tweak that you believe is to blame, you can turn your device off normally by pressing the power button until the slide to power off slider appears, then sliding the slider. Then, you can turn on the device normally to exit Cydia Substrate's safety mode, and your issue should be fixed!

For a video demonstration for getting into Cydia Substrate's safety mode and getting back out, you can watch our video walk-through below:

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-08-29 at 11:38 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Sniper488 (2014-08-29)

Can you use a version before the version 0.9.5012?
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LucySterling View Post
    This has been a feature for a while. Just try it and see if it worx on your device!

Yes, some of the earlier versions also include the feature, but I would highly recommend you upgrade anyway. So there's no harm in just upgrading.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're in safemode, won't the bubble come up telling you so removing the need to check? Not to mention that your clock says "Safe Mode" and you don't have a wallpaper. Just seems like unnecessary steps to check the settings app.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Smile safe mood
    yes you can its, I used this method when I had jailbroken iOS 6 device. its not something new.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    If you're in safemode, won't the bubble come up telling you so removing the need to check? Not to mention that your clock says "Safe Mode" and you don't have a wallpaper. Just seems like unnecessary steps to check the settings app.
    When using this method no it looks like stock ios. For some it can be obvious if you customized a lot but others may need to confirm.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuff Said For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-08-30), buggsy2 (2014-08-30)

Unhappy Help!!!
    IMPORTANT: is there any way for me to change/add the settings to go into substrate safe mode, my home button is broken/jammed, so I can't hold (the power and) the home button. I really need this because, I have a IPod Touch 5g and it's very and still laggy, ( even after the update that was supposed to fix the lag on the 32bit devices ).

Please reply

P.S. my device takes about 10 mins to boot up, is this normal?
    Last edited by ccmoc; 2014-11-06 at 01:17 AM.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccmoc View Post
    IMPORTANT: is there any way for me to change/add the settings to go into substrate safe mode, my home button is broken/jammed, so I can't hold (the power and) the home button. I really need this because, I have a IPod Touch 5g and it's very and still laggy, ( even after the update that was supposed to fix the lag on the 32bit devices ).

Please reply

I know there are several tweaks that allow this, but the ones I used aren't yet iOS 8 compatible. You could always install a tweak like Winterboard that requires a reboot to work and simply hold the volume up key after you hit the reboot button. I'm sure there's an easier way, but I'm slightly brain dead currently.

As for boot up time, my iPod did the same thing. I'm not sure if that's "normal" but it was never an issue for me besides the simple inconvenience.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccmoc View Post

Please reply

Tage is iOS 8 compatible and has Safe Mode as a feature. It's also good for killing apps!