Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Bluetooth-Enabled Connected Card, Coin, Pushes its Full Launch Back to Next Year

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The Bluetooth-Enabled Connected Card, Coin, Pushes its Full Launch Back to Next Year

The creators of Coin, the Bluetooth-enabled “connected card,” recently announced that they would have to delay a full launch next year. The company did mention that they would begin to send out 10,000 “beta” units to pre-order customers sooner than that though. The executives cited manufacturing issues explaining the delay.

As of right now, at least 1,000 customers have already been issued preproduction Coin units and the company is set to expand that to at least 10,000 instead of the full launch. The Coin backers will be receiving emails in the next few days, allowing them to claim their beta device.

For those of you who aren’t knowledgeable about it, Coin works by loading card information using a companion smartphone app and dongle which connects to the Coin via Bluetooth. Each of the Coin card devices can store up to eight cards at a time in its onboard memory. Users will be able to press a small button on the device itself which will allow them to switch between cards and displays the card that is currently selected on a small e-ink screen embedded on the device.

The device has been under much scrutiny given several security implications and lack of support for emerging chip-and-signature standards that have become standard in the US. The company plans to send through its first shipment of the device and spend resources on an R&D project after having done so.

What do you think of the Coin? Is it something you would like to try out?

Source: CNET via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I think I could definitely see myself using that. Personal credit card, debit card, and work credit card all in one? Sounds like a winner.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpyder View Post
    I think I could definitely see myself using that. Personal credit card, debit card, and work credit card all in one? Sounds like a winner.
    You can also use it for membership cards, rewards cards, and ect.

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpyder View Post
    I agree. I've heard about this way back. It sounds really awesome. But I will keep my distance for further notice to see how these security features play out.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Default The Bluetooth-Enabled Connected Card, Coin, Pushes its Full Launch Back to Ne...
    Wait a bit longer and something even better is going to come out!

I was trying to patent the idea but found out (after I already started the process) that it was taken a few months later...

This is going to be a digital ID card w/ a screen that will store images of your cards/IDs (hopefully even a Drivers License!) plus have the same features as Coin.

If it's done correctly, it'll have an NFC and EMV chip. Magnetic Strips will soon go away and these two payment methods are what will take it's place.
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-08-23 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Wait a bit longer and something even better is going to come out!

I was trying to patent the idea but found out (after I already started the process) that it was taken a few months later...

This is going to be a digital ID card w/ a screen that will store images of your cards/IDs (hopefully even a Drivers License!) plus have the same features as Coin.

If it's done correctly, it'll have an NFC and EMV chip. Magnetic Strips will soon go away and these two payment methods are what will take it's place.
    I heard bout dis while back is it really ur idea? No really I did

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jozelito617 View Post
    I heard bout dis while back is it really ur idea? No really I did
    I had the idea back in Sept '13. The person that has the patent rights submitted it in May '13. It takes 6 months for a patent to clear which is why I couldn't find anything about the idea when I started working on it. I was just too late...

I didn't discover the patent until Feb 14 despite working on everything to get the patent made. It was just, by chance, that I decided to look again and found out it was already made.

I can tell you that there are MANY "backers" wanting a refund. This was NOT a Kickstarter type deal, we all PRE-ORDERED these devices with a Summer 2014 release date. They promised shipment in the coming weeks with an email last week then hit us with this info! We can opt to be part of the "beta test" and the first 10,000 people that want to do that will get a beta Coin. Then after that, if you want the actual production run coin, you will pay $20 MORE to get that.

Bait & switch with an interest free loan...shady dealings.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

From what I read too? Is these things only last about a year and then you have to buy a new one. Batteries they use only last about a year and that's it! Not rechargable or anything

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Why not get google wallet if you live in the US.