Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Removed 'Secret' App From the App Store

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Reportedly Removed 'Secret' App From the App Store

Apple has reportedly removed a social networking app called Secret from its Brazilian App Store, following strict orders from Brazilian Judge Paulo Cesar de Carvalho. The Judge had apparently banned the app for violating national laws. Apple has yet to respond or release a statement in regards to this issue, but it is unknown whether the company cleared the app from user’s devices as well. Strict orders were given to Apple, Google and even Window’s phone app Cryptic to be taken down within ten days. For every day after the ten days the apps are still in service, a fine of $8,860 would be given.

Public prosecutor Marcelo Zenkner’s proposed action on cyber-bullying prevention, influenced the Judge’s decision on taking down the app. Zenkner noted that the app Secret, violates the law because people can voice expressions freely and anonymously, which infringes on human rights. Section 22.1 of the app store guidelines state:

Apps must comply with all legal requirements in any location where they are made available to users. It is the developer’s obligation to understand and conform to all local laws.
    Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Not being able to say whatever we want anonymously also violates human rights.

Brazilan government need to shut up

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Where'd they come up w/ $8,860?

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Where'd they come up w/ $8,860?
    It's probably a conversion rate from local currency. According to Google, Brazil uses Reais. $8,860 is currently 20,136.12 Reis. I imagine the fine is actually ~20,000 Reis a day, it's just a rounded currency conversion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Well even though this does infringe on people's rights to say what they want, I like it. One thing I really can't stand are these internet thugs we have today. Just go to any comment section that talks about something controversial and people just become the toughest person in the world. I love the idea of making people reveal themselves instead of hiding behind a screen.