Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Skype Announces Upcoming Improvements to Notifications Across All Devices

Default Skype Announces Upcoming Improvements to Notifications Across All Devices

Not too long ago, a major upgrade to Skype for iPhone and iPod touch was released known as version 5.0. Some small updates have continued to improve the performance and stability of the application, but on Wednesday, Microsoft has announced an even larger update to come in the future with improvements for notifications.

The improvements to notifications will have to do with synchronizing your notifications across all of your devices – your smartphone, tablet, and even your computer.

It can be annoying when you're messaging someone on Skype, and each time you receive a message, you get a notification alert on every single one of your devices. The improvements to come having to do with synchronizing your notifications will attempt to quiet down the devices that you're not using to message people on Skype, while keeping the device that you're actively using in the loop with your notifications, but when you're idle for a certain period of time, the application will begin notifying you on all of your devices again.

The idea here is that when you're actively using one device to message someone, you don't need every single one of your devices (and you may have many) notifying you of your messages. You only need one of them to notify you. On the other hand, when you're away from all of your devices, you'll be able to pick up whatever one is closest to you, and your notification(s) will be waiting for you on any of them.

Best of all, your chat history will remain updated in the background on all of your devices, no matter how the notifications are behaving.

Microsoft explains how the feature works in detail:

If you are signed in to Skype on multiple devices (a laptop, tablet and a smartphone) and you are sending chat messages to a group of friends from your tablet. Skype will only send new message notifications to your tablet and not to any of your other devices. All of your other devices will remain blissfully silent. You can continue to focus on the most important thing, your conversations, without being disturbed by the bleeping and buzzing from all of your other devices.

The moment you stop actively using Skype on any device, all devices will receive notifications again to make sure you never miss anything important. When you pick up any one of your devices to respond, we will stop send notifications to all other devices. Call notifications are still sent to all devices so you can answer on whichever gadget you prefer, not just the one you’re closest to.

Though the delivery of notifications is targeted and personalized to your own device usage, your chat history continues to sync across all devices allowing you to continue a conversation from any one of them.
    Microsoft will be rolling out this feature in coming weeks for all users of Skype, so keep your eyes open if you're a Skype user for this cool new feature.

Sources: Skype

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Does anyone even use Skype?

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Does anyone even use Skype?
    I don't know what you're talking about! Everyone in the Microsoft commercials do!

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Sure. It's not so common within the USA, for instance, but still used a lot between countries. It still connects very cheaply to local telephones, so useful to call people who don't have internet at all, or just a feature phone. Also handles text msgs, sending photos, audio-only calls, video calls, and conference calls on the fly.

I use it all the time. Works better than FB Messenger audio calls and not everyone has an iOS device for FaceTime.

Default Skype Announces Upcoming Improvements to Notifications Across All Devices
    I use it on my desktop and laptop. To contact others who have it. Works great on most platforms. Used the three way calling feature the other day and that was fully functional