Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brazilian Judge Orders the Removal and Elimination of the App "Secret"

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Brazilian Judge Orders the Removal and Elimination of the App "Secret"

Apple, Google and Microsoft were recently ordered to remove the anonymous social networking app, Secret, from their App Stores and remotely wipe the software from devices in the country. Judge Paulo Cesar de Carvalho of the Fifth Civil Court of Victoria was the judge who ordered the tech giants to make the move. He has given the tech giants ten days to remove and delete the app. After the ten days, all three companies face a fine of 20,000 Brazilian Real (roughly $8,860) for each day the app remains in service.

As of right now it hasn’t been made clear whether the injunction applies to iOS devices sold within Brazil or if it applies to all portable devices including imported devices and those used by visitors. Judge de Carvalho’s decision is a response to an action proposed from the public prosecutor, Marcelo Zenkner, who called for a ban on the apps stating Brazil’s constitution prohibits anonymous freedom of expression.

After applying the constitution to apps like Secret, the takedown is meant to protect against cyber-bullying. The original action cites a case in which marketing consultant Bruno Machado found nude photos published to Secret with overlaid text stating that he was HIV positive. The ruling points toward Apple’s app “blacklist,” which is said to remotely disable an installed app by revoking its certificate.

As of right now the mechanism hasn’t ever been used, however Brazil’s order may be the first if everything passes and Apple complies. Apps such as Secret have come under fire recently for promoting cyber-bullying, prompting more strict policies to be enforced in the App Store.

How do you feel about Brazil’s orders? Do you agree with their stance on the harm the app can cause?

Source: Estadao (blog) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Nothing you can do about it if it's in their constitution, but it's BS....nothing is really anonymous in the mobile device world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sheltons.iphone For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-08-20)

I don't like to think that Apple, a government, or any one could or should be able to remotely make changes on my mobile device. This kind of law and order makes dangerous precedence.

The right to do what I want with my device should not be overridden in an attempt to reduce cyberbullying. Two wrongs don't make a right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to musicelect For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-08-20)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicelect View Post
    I don't like to think that Apple, a government, or any one could or should be able to remotely make changes on my mobile device. This kind of law and order makes dangerous precedence.
    If I understand things right, they actually aren't changing your device. They're revoking the certificate of the app causing it to know longer function. Everything on ur iOS device will remain the same, except it will recognize that that specific app has been revoked.

The right to do what I want with my device should not be overridden in an attempt to reduce cyberbullying. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    In America this may be true, however, as stated in the comment above yours, it's in the Brazilian constitution. That overrides all "rights" you have in that regard. Others will probably say that their right to not be publicly degraded overrules your right to post on an app online, and personally, I would agree with them.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the stated reason of "cyber bullying" is the most stupid thing possible. It ain't gonna change s*** because people are still going to find work arounds and new ways to be anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    If I understand things right, they actually aren't changing your device. They're revoking the certificate of the app causing it to know longer function. Everything on ur iOS device will remain the same, except it will recognize that that specific app has been revoked.
    Removing a license of an installed app is making changes to the device.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Brazil has wacky laws like this. They recently have ordered confiscation of UAV's (drones, quadcopters, hexcopters, etc.) that come into the country with residents & tourist. For some reason you can use the Parrot drone due to it's clearance with the government.

Default Brazilian Judge Orders the Removal and Elimination of the App "Secret"
    Wow, unreal how incredibly stupid this Brazilian law is, I'm dumbfounded.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    I think the stated reason of "cyber bullying" is the most stupid thing possible. It ain't gonna change s*** because people are still going to find work arounds and new ways to be anonymous.

Removing a license of an installed app is making changes to the device.
    You're right. I was kinda out of it when I wrote that and was thinking it was internet based or something for some reason.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!