Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Apple May Only Bring Sapphire to High-End iPhones

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default WSJ: Apple May Only Bring Sapphire to High-End iPhones

Sapphire is coming to Apple's iPhone 6... but not all of them.

According to new reports Thursday from the Wall Street Journal, Apple is "betting $700 million that sapphire" is the best replacement for glass on future devices.

And those "future devices" are about to show up in the coming weeks. However, because sapphire is so expensive -- reportedly $16 to produce one screen as opposed to $3 for a Gorilla Glass version -- not all new Phones will feature sapphire screens. Only premium models will come with sapphire screens.

"Apple is considering using sapphire screens in more-expensive models of the two new, larger iPhones it plans to debut this fall, if it can get enough of the material," the report reads, citing people familiar with the iPhone 6's development.

Apple is expected to unveil iPhone 6 -- presumably both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models -- on September 9th.

Source: WSJ

Are they not both premium?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

So the 4.7" Sapphire display that was put through ridiculous scratch tests must've been an illusion

So glad WSJ has tested both screens to determine the 4.7" isn't sapphire but the unattainable 5.5" will be unveiled AND be the only sapphire iphone...
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-08-15 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    So the 4.7" Sapphire display that was put through ridiculous scratch tests must've been an illusion

So glad WSJ has tested both screens to determine the 4.7" isn't sapphire but the unattainable 5.5" will be unveiled AND be the only sapphire iphone...
    My understanding from this is there will be 4 versions. 4.7 and 5.5 gorilla glass models, and 4.7 and 5.5 sapphire premium models

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
    Are they not both premium?
    They probably mean 64gB of those models, not necessarily one or the other. They have to bake in the higher cost in to the largest profit version of each model.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would like to know the definition of "Premium" phone.

I'm planning on purchasing a 32gb, so with no carrier subsidies anymore under their new phone plans, which I do love,
    the outlay of $700 (on the old pricing plan), plus tax, activation, and new phone case, I consider this to be a premium
    phone in my mind! And something I feel, as an Apple stockholder, could carry the additional $13 in cost.

This is not a plastic 5C I'm considering!