Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Spoof the Type of Internet Connection You're Using on Your iOS 7 Device

Default How to Spoof the Type of Internet Connection You're Using on Your iOS 7 Device

If you've ever wanted to spoof the type of connection that you're using to obtain an Internet connection so that it looks like you're on Wi-Fi when you're using cellular data, or so that it looks like you're using a personal hotspot when you're on Wi-Fi, or some other method of spoofing, you should check out a new free jailbreak tweak called FakeMyConnectionType by iOS developer L.

A good way to use FakeMyConnectionType would be to fool around with your friends for example, if you want to make it look like you're the only one with access to some secret Wi-Fi network, then you can use FakeMyConnectionType to make it look like you're on a Wi-Fi network when in reality, there's actually no network around. Those with limited data plans will envy you for having this so-called Wi-Fi network access.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application, shown above, where you can configure the type of network that you want to make it look like you're connected to.

From the preferences pane, you will be able to enable or disable the tweak on demand, as well as configure what kind of Internet connection you want to make it look like you have, and you can even fake a VPN or fake Airplane Mode. The different kinds of Internet connections that you can fake having access to include:

• -
    • 1x
    • GPRS
    • EDGE
    • 3G
    • 4G
    • LTE
    • Personal Hotspot
    • WLAN

As respring button is included in the tweak's preferences pane, as it is required to respring each time you make changes here so they are saved.

As you can see above, with the personal hotspot option selected, the tweak makes it look like we're connected to a personal hotspot even though we're actually connected to our home Wi-Fi network.

If you want to give FakeMyConnectionType a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository. iOS 7 is required for the installation.

Happy pranking!

Name: FakeMyConnectionType
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: L
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Is there a practical reason to do this? Or even cosmetically, why would someone want to fake a 'personal hotspot' icon? I use Zeppelin and put a Batman symbol in my status bar, but I think that's a way to personalize my springboard. I don't necessarily think putting 'E' for EDGE is, but others may think different. To each their own, I guess.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Ya I don't get this either But yet it has a rating of 4/5?

Would be hot it you could make it look like your on wifi. When u have a data plan and it wouldn't use any data. Since it was spoofed into believing you were on wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Would be hot it you could make it look like your on wifi. When u have a data plan and it wouldn't use any data. Since it was spoofed into believing you were on wifi.
    LOL!!! This would rock!!

Yes, it has practical applications. Works a treat, I've been looking for something like this.

If you need it, you know what it's for, if you don't know, you probably don't need it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SuncoastDave For This Useful Post:

Anthony Bouchard (2014-08-14)