Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Chairman Claims Verizon's Argument for Data Throttling Isn't Justifiable

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default FCC Chairman Claims Verizon's Argument for Data Throttling Isn't Justifiable

At a recent news conference, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler responded to Verizon’s claim of data throttling being a “widely accepted” practice, stating the argument isn’t justifiable. According to The Wall Street Journal, Wheeler ended up chiding Verizon for its defense of an upcoming “network optimization” change, calling the whole “excuse” as an attempt to “reframe the issue.” Wheeler said the following regarding the matter:

'All the kids do it' was never something that worked with me when I was growing up and didn't work with my kids.
    For those of you who didn’t know, last month Verizon announced plans to slow down data speeds for a select group of high-use subscribers when it’s 4G LTE network slows down. The change is set to take place in October, which is when users with grandfathered unlimited data plans may end up seeing slower than normal data speeds when performing high bandwidth operations such as streaming high-definition video or playing multiplayer games. Wheeler continued by stating the following:

My concern in this instance is that it is moving from technology and engineering issues into business issues. Such as choosing between different subscribers based on your economic relationship with them.
    The recent comments were made as a response to Verizon’s rebuttal letter which defended the “network optimization” by saying the “practice has been widely accepted with little or no controversy.” Furthermore, an FCC spokesperson said other US carriers have recently received letters asking the same questions as those that were posed to Verizon originally. We’ll have to see how Verizon responds and how the other carriers respond to the questions as well.

It’s nice to see the FCC fighting for the consumer right in this scenario. How do you feel about the situation?

Source: The Wall Street Journal, Verizon Wireless

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Thanks

Its about time.

It's all about the "financial" or business relationship. Make no mistake they want money, nothing more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadw3 For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (2014-08-10)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadw3 View Post
    It's all about the "financial" or business relationship. Make no mistake they want money, nothing more.
    That's what businesses are in business for, right? They have a fiduciary responsibility to shareholders-maximum profit/return.

Default FCC Chairman Claims Verizon's Argument for Data Throttling Isn't Justifiable
    Well I don't know about anybody else but my LTE has been getting really slow lately (I have Verizon's unlimited data plan) but I thought their throttling was supposed to start in October