Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Responds to FCC Claiming Data Throttling is Fair Practice

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon Responds to FCC Claiming Data Throttling is Fair Practice

Verizon recently responded to US Federal Communications Commission chief Tom Wheeler’s concerns over LTE data throttling. The Senior Vice President of Federal Regulatory Affairs Kathleen Grillo said the carrier’s “network optimization” initiative affects a small number of customers and only “under very limited circumstances.” The company claims that it intends to limit 4G LTE speeds for customers with grandfathered-in unlimited data plans who “have an out-sized effect on the network,” when its network is particularly congested in a specific area.

According to Grillo:

This practice has been widely accepted with little or no controversy.
    Verizon continues with deflection, claiming its policy is better for consumers than similar plans by T-Mobile, which allow the Uncarrier users to be throttled “regardless of whether customers are at a location experiencing congestion.” Based on the initiative terms which are set to start in October, power users may end up seeing slower than normal data speeds when they utilize high bandwidth.

For those of you who don’t know the background to the whole story, last week the FCC Chairman, Tom Wheeler, wrote a letter to Verizon CEO Daniel Mead, voicing his concern over the carrier’s forthcoming rule change. He wrote the following in his letter:.

'Reasonable network management' concerns the technical management of your network; it is not a loophole designed to enhance your revenue streams.
    According to the folks over at Re/code, Mead met with press in New York to clarify the issue stating that the company was surprising by Wheeler’s letter considering the company used the same tactic back in 2011 with high 3G data usage.
    How do you feel about the situation? As a consumer, many would side with the FCC considering their stance is pro-consumer.

Source: Re/code, The Verge, Verizon Wireless

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I'm sorry but for better or worse, unlimited means unlimited. You can't change the contract based on circumstances or what better benefits the them.

If they get away with that, what happens if they say next, "it's only on the weekends that data is unlimited"?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to psxcancer For This Useful Post:

Gcruz (2014-08-05)

We unlimited folks pay full price for our device.. We should stay unlimited without being affected by the "network Optimization"

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The Senior Vice President of Federal Regulatory Affairs Kathleen Grillo said the carrier’s “network optimization” initiative affects a small number of customers and only “under very limited circumstances.”

If it's such a small number, why make a policy change around it? Liars! POS company! So glad I left 'em years ago.

If it's such a small number, why make a policy change around it? Liars! POS company!

Thanks

Its sad when we all know the sky is blue and someone says it yellow isn't it. Looks like the conglomerate is doing just that. Unlimited means unlimited until we find reason to revert it haha. Sadly, they will probably get away with it. Hasn't AT&T already done this?

Default Make the plans cheaper
    I have ATT&T which did this over a year ago or longer, I believe. I don't feel its fair. I am paying an extra fee to have the unlimited feature and if I get to a certain level, I get a text message as a warning an if I continue my data speed will be slowed. Yes, technically they have not removed the unlimited data but throttling the speed is altering the plan I am paying for and signed up for. The first time this happened to me was while using the Waze GPS app. I had a four hour trip and received the "throttle message" while driving. What good is using a GPS app if my data speed will be slowed; the app become useless. I ended up spending more money to purchase a separate GPS device to avoid the throttling.

Then the carriers come up with the shared plan that appears cheaper ($160/mo) and you can switch phone and plans at any time. Sounded good to me as I pay over $200/mo for four phones (2 are grandfathered with unlimited data). The $160 shared plan would have worked except ATT&T charges an extra $55/mo for the service to switch at any time; no savings for me so I did not switch. Maybe they should offer the shared plan with a 2-year plan lock-in. Like they say, if the offer sounds to go to be true, then it is.

Default Block C Open Access and discrimination between unlimited and tiered
    This could easily back fire on Verizon. No where did they justify their reason for throttling unlimited user over 4+gb, but allowing tiered users who constantly cross that threshold run freely all over their network. It boils down to block c and the rules Verizon agreed to, the fact that unlimited users are not paying as much as tiered users who use 4+gb and the fact that their network can't handle the load of all their subs. So they are clearly targeting unlimited users to try and coerce them onto a tiered plan to make more money. I really hope the FCC comes up with a way to make Verizon withdrawl their discriminatory policy. Verizon could then go kick rocks.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

ATT has been doing before Verizon did, in fact I think Verizon followed suit after ATT did it. I'm grandfathered in thru ATT and have gotten throttled back a couple of times. Trying to use the data at 150/Kb's is a joke! Why not just turn it off? A lot of apps don't work right with data that slow. Tried to facetime with my sister and video and sound was choppy.

Thanks

I never get a text from AT&T saying my data is going to be slowed down when reaching that imaginary data cap. I get throttled every month, within 14 days usually. I travel a lot and use soundcloud and YouTube and other stuff. They usually slow me down after 3gb. It's bull

I don't get a message either. They throttle me at 2.5gb and the speed is so slow can't even use Pandora radio and you can forget safari will always get a time out error. I can check email but I have to open the app and then close it and wait for it to actually load the emails. I did a speed test while throttled and it was .05, which is unusable.