Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The US Department of Transportation Takes Steps to Ban In-Flight Cellphone Calls

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The US Department of Transportation Takes Steps to Ban In-Flight Cellphone Calls

According to The Wall Street Journal, the US Department of Transportation is said to be taking steps toward formally banning cellular phone calls made during US flights. Unsurprisingly, carriers say the judgment should be up to them. According to spokespeople from the Department of Transportation, a “notice of proposed rulemaking” is currently being prepared, though the contents of the regulation haven’t been decided.

The report continues to note that the agency has been looking to end calls that may be disruptive under consumer protection laws that require airlines to provide what is deemed as “safe and adequate” service. As of right now, there are some airlines that have already chosen to place their own restrictions on in-flight calls while others are pushing for the option as a way to stand apart from its competition. The airlines that are arguing against the ban are unsurprisingly claiming that the Department of Transportation is overstepping its bounds in the situation.

For those of you who didn’t already know, the use of personal electronic devices has been a topic of much discussion for travelers since Apple began to pioneer the rise of smartphones in 2007. Back in 2013, the Federal Aviation Administration announced a rule modification that allows passengers to use electronic devices from gate-to-gate, overturning a long-standing restriction that prohibited use as long as users were below an altitude of 10,000 feet. That being said, smartphones still need to be in Airplane Mode during all phases of flight.

As of right now, the Department of Transportation is set to publish the proposed rulemaking document in December. If the decision of this document conflicts with the FCC mandate, the Department of Transportation’s determination would be favored.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I travel almost every week, and to be honest someone on the phone wouldn't bother me. I'll just be sure to keep fresh batteries for my QC15's and I'll continue to hear not a damn thing =) #bose

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to therandy For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-08-05)

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    I travel almost every week, and to be honest someone on the phone wouldn't bother me. I'll just be sure to keep fresh batteries for my QC15's and I'll continue to hear not a damn thing =) #bose

Something tells me that you are trolling for the "Bose is over-priced crap!" haters.
    Last edited by CZroe; 2014-08-27 at 01:38 PM.

Lmao - not really. But you bring up a good point. Those are the same people that say "apple is over priced crap"

Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?