Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock Your iOS Device By Blowing At it With 'BlowToUnlock'

Default Unlock Your iOS Device By Blowing At it With 'BlowToUnlock'

We have seen a number of interesting tweaks for changing the way we unlock our iOS 7 devices, but this might just be one of the most bizarre ones to date. Dubbed BlowToUnlock by iOS developer iakd, this new free jailbreak tweak lets you unlock or wake up your iOS 7 device by simply blowing at it.

The tweak works with the microphone on your iOS 7 device, or even the microphone inline with your headphones, to let you blow at the device whenever you're on the Lock Screen or your device starts falling asleep to unlock it or wake it back up. iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads are all supported.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure a variety of different options:

From here, you can enable or disable the tweak outright on demand, as well as adjust the microphone's sensitivity to you trying to blow at it, and then choose whether you blowing at the microphone will unlock, or wake the screen, or both.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that blowing at your microphone sounds a lot like wind rushing at the microphone, so it's very possible for background noises to accidentally unlock your iOS device while it's sitting in your pocket (that's the nature of a tweak like this, and is expected). To avoid this, you can adjust the sensitivity level so that it only unlocks when you are blowing at it, and not when background noises get the opportunity to provide unlock methods.

In terms of usefulness, it's hard to say. But it's definitely a way to stand out and be different from everybody else and makes for a neat proof of concept.

If you would like to give BlowToUnlock a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository. Only iOS 7 is supported.

Name: BlowToUnlock
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-126
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: iakd
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

...for those that just need to blow everything 😎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariousmc For This Useful Post:

jery911 (2014-08-03)

Well just tested this out and it's pretty cool for showing off. But definitely not something I'd choose over Touch ID. Like the article says, it sometimes wakes up accidentally so it's not the everyday kinda feature.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Blow to wake up.

Sounds good to me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

Owboinator1 (2014-08-04), Rcworship (2014-08-04)

I have this installed to give my home button and power button a break (i have had broken iPhone buttons in the past) so this is a great tweak for me!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kickerman65's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea definitely bizarre. I wish a dev would make a tweak that used the proximity sensor so we could just wave our hand over the phone to illuminate the lock screen and not necessarily unlock it. Cant tell you how many times my hand have been greasy and id like to check my notifications but don't want to touch the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Yea definitely bizarre. I wish a dev would make a tweak that used the proximity sensor so we could just wave our hand over the phone to illuminate the lock screen and not necessarily unlock it. Cant tell you how many times my hand have been greasy and id like to check my notifications but don't want to touch the phone.
    That would really drain the battery though, which is probably why no one has made a tweak like that yet

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

no homo?

Thanks

Pretty cool. I make my girl blow on ot now. Seems to lower the volume thought. The lock "click" and charge "buzz" are low.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me kickerman65's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xWalmartCandyx View Post
    That would really drain the battery though, which is probably why no one has made a tweak like that yet
    Yea it would probably consume more battery than usual but id like to see it. After all, there are many other tweaks out there that keep certain components alive while the device is asleep that consume battery power as well.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Like we didn't have enough problems with butt-dialers. Now we can unlock our phone with flatulence! :P

Wish they would make an automatic unlock device when in range of a Bluetooth device or wifi network.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi