Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FCC Chairman Questions Verizon's Plan to Throttle Those with Unlimited 4G Data

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default FCC Chairman Questions Verizon's Plan to Throttle Those with Unlimited 4G Data

After the recent news of Verizon Wireless throttling 4G LTE customers on unlimited data plans, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler recently sent a letter to the carrier voicing his opinion on the matter. He even questioned the necessity of throttling only customers on unlimited plans as opposed to throttling based on the needs of the technology behind the network. Wheeler went as far as saying the whole move to throttle unlimited data appears to be more likely a move to get customers off of unlimited plans.

The letter ended up mentioning several questions which Wheeler requested Verizon CEO, Daniel Mead, answer before he moves forward with the decision of his policy .The questions sought out answers about Verizon’s move. Questions included the following:

• What is your rationale for treating customers differently based on the type of data plan to which they subscribe, rather than network architecture or technological factors? In particular, please explain your statement that, "If you're on an unlimited data plan and are concerned that you are in the top 5% of data users, you can switch to a usage-based data plan as customers on usage-based plans are not impacted."
    • Why is Verizon Wireless extending speed reductions from its 3G network to its much more efficient 4G LTE network?
    • How does Verizon Wireless justify this policy consistent with its continuing obligations under the 700 MHz C Block open platform rules, under which Verizon Wireless may not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the C Block networks; how can this conduct be justified under the Commission 's 2010 Open Internet rules, including the transparency rule that remains in effect?
    Wheeler appears to have asked the right hard-hitting questions as Verizon Wireless does seem to be taking advantage of consumers and turning them away from their unlimited plans. The letter also hints towards an interesting scenario surfacing between the FCC and Verizon in the upcoming months when the new throttling policy is set to go live.

Those of you interested in reading the letter can do so by hitting the PDF link below!

Many Verizon customers are angry and it isn’t much of a surprise. How do you feel about the whole situation?

Source: GigaOm (PDF)
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-07-31 at 08:26 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Where was the FCC when AT&T did this? Or maybe they're next?

How are users getting unlimited data plans? They took mine away.

Quote Originally Posted by ca3sar View Post
    How are users getting unlimited data plans? They took mine away.
    They only take away your unlimited data plan if you buy a phone at the contract price. If you paid full retail for the phone and they took your unlimited data away, then you ought to complain and try to get it back. If you bought the phone at contact price, you can get unlimited data back through VZW's assumption of liability process. Plenty of people are selling their unlimited data plans on eBay. I've done it twice and it works great!

Greedy phone companies I should get what I pay for there should be no throttling as long as I pay my bill in full each month good on the FCC for going after these deceptive practices.

My income depends on Verizon (sub-contractor), and all I have to say is; you go FCC!! I paid a s-load of money for my phones so I could keep my unlimited data plan, and I do believe that Verizon is targeting us only to get us to switch to tiered data plans, not for "network performance."

If I had a family of 4 with 8 devices, I could see how the tiered plans might be a good deal, but they just don't offer any plans for one single person with one device, which are fairly priced; they don't! If I switched to a tiered data plan, with my current usage, my bill would go from $90/mo. (450 mins w/ unlim. N&W, unlim. SMS, unlim. data) to around $190, or more depending on whether or not I change my habits; and that is what they want. I'm definitely in this throttling group, as I stream audio damn near all night and day (SiriusXM), and use 10-15 GB/mo..

Verizon, I hope the FCC sues your asses off for targeting us! At least AT&T came up with good reasons (for the most part) to throw people off of unlimited, or was honest and just said no more unlimited data; VZ is just doing it because you're actually using it, and that's a pant-load of BS. You should be ashamed, VZ.

Obviously this FCC guy has an unlimited data plan, and is afraid he's in the throttling group (j/k)! Lol, you go, boy! Get Verizon to live up to their end of the bargain. Otherwise, I would not have paid damn near $900 for my iPhone! I would've just taken the $199 deal and moved to tiered data, but I chose to pay more for the phone because I knew I'd save money in the long run. I never thought I'd say this, as a huge Howard Stern fan, but hell yeah, FCC!! Scare the hell out of them and make them change this policy!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iSteveO For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-07-31)

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon must work differently than AT&T. I started with Cingular, who was bought up by AT&T. My wife & I still have unlimited plans and have been through every version of iPhone made... all subsidized. At this point unless I op to give up my unlimited plan I am good until they change the rules. Wish the FCC would of stood up for users when AT&T made a big deal out of throttling users.

The industry screwed itself by using the term "unlimited data" in their marketing. At the time, unlimited email, web browsing, and texting was not a big concern. Now people are using 100Gb/mo streaming movies.

I really don't know how I feel about it. I think customer fair use for "unlimited" could be 10Gb/mo. I think 100+ Gb/mo is excessive on a cell phone. If you see a bowl of mints as you walk out a restaurant, it is implied that it's free to customers. But a respectable people would know that ALL of the mints are not free for 1 person. There shouldn't need to be a sign that says "2 per person".

And the cell phone companies need to completely drop the term "unlimited" because it's not true. Nobody is playing fair.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Padgoi's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone knows Verizon rapes their customers. I've been with Verizon for over 15 years and my anus is shredded.

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by desepticon View Post
    When AT&T did that it was ridiculously unnecessary. Same thing here. They only stand to make a profit by turning people from the "unlimited" plan.

All these phone companies can't handle the data at the rate the world is growing. Realize there not making as much as they think they should so they all come up with new plans. Stupid. If they couldn't handle it don't dish it

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

The conglomerates can rewrite what "unlimited data" actually means. Sounds like that is exactly what they intend to do. Every year we are dealt one of these throttling articles. Went from Unlimited to capped to throttled to..who knows whats next.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Silverado1987 (2014-07-31)

Quote Originally Posted by Padgoi View Post
    Everyone knows Verizon rapes their customers. I've been with Verizon for over 15 years and my anus is shredded.
    +

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Lets look at it this way, we were the FIRST people when these phones came out to not only buy them but to jump on the plans. We are still here not because its unlimited, but because we were die hard customers from the beginning. It's not fair to weed us out now after being lifelong customers of these recent phones that game changed the way we telephone. They should be treating us the complete OPPOSITE. We have been here since the START. Not the new people who are switching over from other carriers and starting from scratch. Big difference. But, I don't think anyone ever looks at it from that POV. Why not?

Anyone else agree?? Tf.

Default Get the facts right
    Quote Originally Posted by iSteveO View Post
    Verizon, I hope the FCC sues your asses off for targeting us! At least AT&T came up with good reasons (for the most part) to throw people off of unlimited, or was honest and just said no more unlimited data; VZ is just doing it because you're actually using it, and that's a pant-load of BS. You should be ashamed, VZ.
    SteveO,

AT&T has not "throw[n]" anyone off Unlimited Data plans; in fact, they grandfathered anyone who had an Unlimited Data Plan, irregardless of whether or not they upgraded their phone on a contract price or not. The only time AT&T customers lost Unlimited Data was if they changed their service plans voluntarily.

Rather, Verizon forced it's users off Unlimited Data by giving them no option but to pay full price for phones if they wanted to keep those Plans; and this happened about two years ago when their CEO publicly stated "there is no such thing as 'unlimited data.'" Essentially, Verizon knew most people wouldn't pay $500-700 for an iPhone just to hold onto an Unlimited Data Plan, and took advantage of that fact, to force their customers onto metered data plans which wound up being better for their network than for the consumer -- not to mention their pocketbook with the rise of streaming media. And now, they're rolling out throttling...big surprise.

AT&T may have started throttling at 5GB first, but according to what statistics I've read, less than 2% of the customers on Unlimited Data Plans have been affected by the throttling, as the vast majority of users do not hit that mark. Nonetheless, at least for the same $30/month, you can still consume unlimited data without any additional charges.

T-Mobile is the only one who "gets it" right now in this respect -- they're not charging for music streaming; if their network were only as good as AT&T or Verizon, they might be seeing a much stronger response to their campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by MoarCowbell View Post
    When AT&T did that it was ridiculously unnecessary. Same thing here. They only stand to make a profit by turning people from the "unlimited" plan.
    AT&T has never "turn[ed] people from the 'unlimited' plan.'" Those who had unlimited data have not been forced off of those plans; they can keep them as long as they want them. If customers decide to change, then the company will switch them to another data plan, without the ability to revert to unlimited data.

AT&T was still offering unlimited data plans to iPhone customers as recently as 2010; I know as I added a new line of service to my Family Plan at that time on an iPhone and was able to get unlimited data for that line. Sometime after that, they stopped offering unlimited data plans as an available option.

From a consumer standpoint, AT&T has been more respectful towards it's long-standing customers than Verizon, if for no other reason, than it allows customers to upgrade on contract prices and still hold onto their unlimited data plans.
    Last edited by pulsecub; 2014-08-06 at 10:59 PM.