Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Four New Features Apple Included in iOS 8 Beta 4

Default Four New Features Apple Included in iOS 8 Beta 4

On Monday, Apple seeded iOS 8 beta 4 to developers for testing to allow them to prepare their applications for the upcoming firmware and help Apple in squashing all of the bugs before the release goes out to the public some time this Fall.

The new beta release, like others in the past, comes with a few new changes to the mobile operating system that are worth noting. Since this is iOS 8 beta 4, we've picked 4 of our favorite new features in the new iOS 8 beta to show you what's new in the new seed.

1. You Can Now Configure Your Mail App Swipe Options

The first new change we'll show you in iOS 8 beta 4 is that you can now configure the behavior of your swipe options for when you swipe on a message in the Mail application. These settings can be found under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Swipe Options, and you'll now be able to configure what happens when you swipe to the left or to the right on a message in your default Mail e-mail application. You can configure these options to do such things like marking a message as read, archiving a message, flagging a message (or even doing nothing to the message).

2. An All-New Look for Control Center

iOS 8 beta 4 also takes to changing some of the user interface of iOS to make it look better. One place where Apple has made some important changes is in Control Center. You can see that Apple has now created an alternating color effect for each cell, and now gives you a new look for the buttons. When toggle buttons are turned on, the entire background lights up, and when the toggle buttons are turned off, the entire background dims out. It looks much nicer than the Control Center we're used to seeing in iOS 7, in our opinion.

3. New Organization for Display, Brightness, and Wallpaper Settings

Another thing we've noticed in iOS 8 beta 4 is that the brightness settings have been stripped from the wallpaper settings, and Apple has made the wallpaper preferences pane a standalone preferences pane, and created a new preferences pane called "Display and Brightness" that gives you all of your options to configuring your display. You will be able to do things such as configuring your brightness level, your text size, and even choosing whether or not you want to have bold text. It's a nice step in the right direction, on our opinion.

4. New Tips App for iOS Tips and Tricks

Last but not least, the fourth thing we'll be showing you is that iOS 8 beta 4 now debuts a new Tips application pre-installed with the operating system. It shows tips and tricks for using iOS 8 in the best and most efficient way possible, such as how to use the new features, and how to get the most out of them. It will update frequently with new content every so often so that you're not always reading the same tips and tricks over and over. To us, this seems like a nice touch for iOS beginners, but it's just another application icon to clutter our Home Screens – as we know, iOS 8 makes iBooks and Podcasts both stock applications as well.

For a video walk-through of all of these new features, you can watch below:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MlG9wGoWNWk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're interested in learning more about what's new in each of these iOS 8 beta releases, then don't forget to check out our post on three features we found new in iOS 8 beta 3!

Thanks

All of the changes are for the better in my opinion—especially the Tips app. It was ridiculous how iOS for years shipped with the one tip about arranging icons and then iOS 7 came with just a popup saying you automatically know how to do everything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

no jailbreak no care

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Answer1o1 For This Useful Post:

Assassination (2014-07-22)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

But...can I use my headphone buttons? I don't have mine with me at the moment to test...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Ok, this is all very nice, but I'm NEVER installing ANY iOS version UNLESS it is jailbroken, no matter what Apple adds to it.

Hello, my name is Al and I'm a jailbreak addict, lol.

Thanks

Also noticed no bug reporter app...and when you talk to text, the words show up as you say them now similar to the new Siri.

In other word the same old system but just reorganised. When will Apple give us something new instead of the same old thing. Where has the initiative gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Answer1o1 View Post
    no jailbreak no care
    Same here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post
    Hrm, i didn't bring my ipad in but this makes me want to test this asap. Is this on-board dictation in action? Is the response time any better?

Thanks.
    Same as Siri but it pops up in the text field. Yes the dictation is "real time" and it is a little better but it's still wacky in this beta so far

Sent from my iPhone ❗️❕MAGNUM❕❗️

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the new CC looks ugly...

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albut View Post
    In other word the same old system but just reorganised. When will Apple give us something new instead of the same old thing. Where has the initiative gone?
    Apple doesn't add a hundred features at a time. You should be great full that they add any features at all. Not to mention iOS 8 was focused around messages and user customization. It's not focused on changing every little thing in iOS to make it like your jailbroken device. If they added too many features at a time then the majority of users wouldn't be able to keep up. I'm a developer (amateur but dev nonetheless) and I sometimes can't keep up with the features and changes.

But along the lines of the control center, I love the new look. And it would be nice if we had greater customization over it but perhaps that'll be part of iOS 9.

When it comes to jailbreaks, ever since iOS 7 I haven't had a need to jailbreak. I still do it because it's my nature, but I don't need it. iOS 8 has pretty much killed all the tweaks I used to use back in iOS 6 and even some of the new ones I found in iOS 7 because I didn't have any tweaks.

In my opinion, iOS 7 has been the start of apple actually listening to consumers. I have loved just about everything in iOS 7 and 8 (except kind of the tips app as it is a bit more useless clutter for someone like myself but it's still neat).

Very stable beta for me so far (5s). Seems snappy. Also appears to have fixed Bluetooth connection issue w/ my Pebble watch.

As an aside, do people who only want to upgrade if there's a jailbreak really need to post in a thread like this to tell us?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eballesq For This Useful Post:

TDH Advocate (2014-07-22), Zokunei (2014-07-22)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

All I want is the ability to add a currently playing song to a playlist. It absolutely boggles my mind why I can't do that. I'm terrible with song names and in order to make a play list I need to preview the song...but you can't do that in the Playlist mode...

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    All I want is the ability to add a currently playing song to a playlist. It absolutely boggles my mind why I can't do that. I'm terrible with song names and in order to make a play list I need to preview the song...but you can't do that in the Playlist mode...
    This and a built in Queue like the desktop version.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!