Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Acute' Lets You Perform Different iOS Device Functions With Your Voice

Default 'Acute' Lets You Perform Different iOS Device Functions With Your Voice

If you're in the market for controlling your iOS device(s) with just the sound of your voice, then you've got to check out an awesome new jailbreak tweak called Acute by iOS developers Sassoty and Phillip Tennen.

This tweak will integrate with Activator, allowing you to assign different Activator actions to different words or phrases that you might tell your iOS device. Acute will let you create as many words or phrases as you want, and then you can assign whatever you want to those phrases.

As soon as you visit the Acute preferences pane in the Settings application, you will be asked to calibrate your voice. The tweak says you can say anything for as long as you want. This is to get the tweak ready for listening to you, and hopefully, you only:

Once you're done with that, you can tap on the Continue button and you'll be brought to the full preferences pane in the Settings application:

From here, you can watch a tutorial about how the tweak works, re-calibrate the tweak to your voice, configure some general options (like enabling math functions and enabling alerts), configure your words/phrases that the tweak will use with Activator, and view the tweak credits.

The math functions are recommended to remain off since they're very slow, but if you want to enable it, you will be able to tell Actute to calculate some kind of math problem for you, and it will do so. Since Siri can do this already, you have another reason to just keep this feature off.

Acute will also show in your Status Bar what you've just done with your voice, so if you enable the Alerts feature, you will get an alert notification instead of a Status Bar notification when you do something with your voice.

From the words and phrases part of Acute's preferences pane, you will be able to create as many functions as you want. These are the functions that you will want to be able to use Acute in order to perform. We have created five example functions: modmyi, respring, home, reboot, and messages. You can tap on existing words/phrases to edit them, or swipe on them to reveal a delete button.

We will assign the modmyi function to the Activator action of opening the ModMyi application, the respring the Activator action of respringing the device, the home function the Activator action of simulating a Home Button press, and so on:

With that being said and done, whenever we enable Acute, and we say, "ModMyi," the ModMyi application should open. Whenever we enable Acute, and we say, "respring," the device should respring, and so on.

You will also need to assign a master Activator action to enabling the Acute listening service:

Whenever you toggle Acute on with the Activator gesture that you assigned, you will notice a network loading circle in your Status Bar, and then shortly after, you should see a sound wave icon. When you see the sound wave icon, it means that Acute is listening for your commands and you're free to tell your device what to do. After your command goes through, the Status Bar will then show whatever command you just used so you know what your voice just did:

Although you might see a network loading circle in your Status Bar, the developers note that Acute is completely offline and does not require any Internet access to use. The developers also provide a list of other useful functions that Acute woul dbe useful with:

Some of the ways people have been using Acute:

• Say ‘Unlock’ - unlocks device
    • Say ‘Illuminate’ - turns on flashlight
    • Say ‘Marco’ - phone says ‘Polo’ (useful for finding your phone)
    • Say ‘Power Down’ - powers down device
    • Say ‘Home Mode’ - turn on WiFi, turn off cellular, raise brightness
    • Say ‘Capture’ - take a picture
    The Acute teaser video can be seen below:

Acute only works on iOS 7 and it requires a microphone to be used. It will work with the inline microphone that comes on Apple's headphones and EarPods. If you would like to give Acute a try, it's available for $3.00 in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now. We've done some testing with it and have found that it's nice and responsive to your voice and seems to pick up on what you're trying to say pretty well, so we can definitely recommend it!

Name: Acute
    Price: $3.00
    Version:
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2, Microphone, Activator, libstatusbar, libobjcipc
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): Sassoty, Phillip Tennen
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

You can watch our video review of Acute below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OXKoE_XJHKo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How much battery life does this eat if you leave it running?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

Just tried it and it crashed my phone..I was hoping it would actively listen versus me pressing a button...

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    Just tried it and it crashed my phone..I was hoping it would actively listen versus me pressing a button...
    i was hoping the same things.... something similar to the iOS 8 "Hey Siri" feature. if i have to assign an activator function just to activate it to then tell it to do something... why don't i just assign the activator function to just do the "something" instead... less steps. guess we may just have to wait for an iOS 8 JB tweak of Hey Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjunkyfreak View Post
    i was hoping the same things.... something similar to the iOS 8 "Hey Siri" feature. if i have to assign an activator function just to activate it to then tell it to do something... why don't i just assign the activator function to just do the "something" instead... less steps. guess we may just have to wait for an iOS 8 JB tweak of Hey Siri.
    This essentially allows you to create one Activator function that allows you to do multiple things by voice.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Extremely buggy.
    I would not suggest installing this tweak for a few updates.
    Cool concepts should not reward in 5/5, instead this deserves a 4.5 at best.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

As all the other tweaks in the past that 'listen' for you to speak, does this interrupt Bluetooth functionality?

Every time I've tried something like this in my car, it automatically turns on via Bluetooth and I can't listen to music anymore.

Does this do the same thing???

Um, it clearly states in Cydia that Activator is not compatible with ios 7..1.x yet. Maybe that's why it's crashing? Unless you're on an inferior ios, then please disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddlane View Post
    This essentially allows you to create one Activator function that allows you to do multiple things by voice.
    you only have to activate the program once after you spring, then it sits in the background and listens (but does not show you anything) till you say something that you have programmed.
    then it will show the little circle thingy and maybe the sound wave ,
    then does the function you have asked if it understands it.

I have found that saying open appinfo for example, to open the AppInfo application confuses it and I had to change it, so now I say "open application information" and it opens the appinfo application. but once activated unless you de-activate it, it does stay running in the background and listening to your mic (all this was in the information located in the application install screen in cydia) and states that it does not use extra battery life as well (we'll see.).
    an iPhone without a Jailbreak might as well be a Brick!