Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Five Reasons You Should Update to iOS 7.1.2 and Jailbreak With Pangu Today

I'm on 7.0.4 and have all the patches (SSL, email) installed. I have a TON of tweaks, just purely useful tweaks and nothing such as winterboard or any theming options. I personally WILL NOT update to 7.1.X, EVER!! Doesn't matter if I get 200% more battery efficiency. It has taken me hours upon hours of having my iOS exactly how it functions perfectly for me and I already know every version of every tweak that works with each other and if I update one and it conflicts I have control over which one it was and I can revert back to the previous version with the .deb file.

I went through this mistake of updating to the "latest stable version" back on iOS 5 and NEVER again will I do that. Sure, there are tweaks such as Pkgbackup and such, but nothing beats a clean tweak install, trust me.

To anyone that is in the same boat as me and considering upgrading I say this: apply the security patches to your 7.0.X version and stay there if you don't want to go through hell.

Just my 2 cents and good luck.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hopethemodworx's Avatar
    Thanks

Pangu sucks. I've restored twice and one DFU and still no cydia icon. Set date to June 2. No pass code lock. Auto off never. Screw you Pangu.

My iPhone is a Part of Me StaceyMJ86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hopethemodworx View Post
    Pangu sucks. I've restored twice and one DFU and still no cydia icon. Set date to June 2. No pass code lock. Auto off never. Screw you Pangu.
    Did you also set the time to 8:30pm?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using ModMyi

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Well did dfu restore again 5s did not work iPhone screen says replacement needed this iPhone is not able to complete the activation process needs to be replaced please visit your nearest Apple store authorized service provider for more information

sent from my mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me StaceyMJ86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmds187 View Post
    Well did dfu restore again 5s did not work iPhone screen says replacement needed this iPhone is not able to complete the activation process needs to be replaced please visit your nearest Apple store authorized service provider for more information

sent from my mac
    That sounds like you're definitely going to have to get that replaced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post
    Did you also set the time to 8:30pm?

Yes

I just updated 7.1.2 from 7.1.1 then run Pengu. I didnt have to restore it, update it, then jail break it. Installed AppSyn.c from Cydia and all those unsigned icons came back normal from dark colored icons. It was easy.

Thanks

I'm gonna try once more. Fingers crossed

Don't care just waiting for a new iPhone and iOS 8 jailbreak at this point. Such a pain in the *** to update a firmware and reinstall all the jailbroken tweaks.

Good Morning. I have detected an error in the application of the weather. The animations do not work. Someone happens to you.
    (One iPhone 5 and one iPhone 5S) (Pangu for Mac) (iOs 7.1.2)
    Thank you

Thanks

The stock weather app sucks. Try the weather channel,I've been using it since it's been out. Good observation tho

I'm on 7.0.6 now. Since its compatible with mac I'm going for it. I hope all my tweaks and cydia apps will be compatible.

Just Restored From 7.0.6 To 7.1.2 And Jailbreaked It ... Install All My Apps And Tweaks Back . Now Running Nice And Smooth . THANKS PANGU .

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,284 Times in 3,850 Posts

I'm on 7.1.1 and I'm too lazy to do the procedure again for such a small update. But it's recommended for users of 7.0.6

Most Cydia tweaks work on 7.1.x. But for theme designers and users:
    Gridlock and iconoclasm are is still not updated, so you might have trouble with the layout of many themes/widgets.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Cmds187 (2014-07-03)

Thanks

I'll wait. I still have 7.0.4 JB on my 5C and it works just fine. Running 7.1 JB with Pangu on my 5S. Its a lot of work to start all over again.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Not so hard to start over if you keep a good list in your notes.app of all of your tweaks and the order in which you normally install them. That's what I do. Most people also don't know that queuing function in Cydia where you can look for the tweak you're going to download and then before you hit upgrade you hit "Continue Queuing". Then you can go looking for many different tweaks and you don't have to respring between each individual install. You can load them all at once. I too have had problems with PKG backup and would advise against using it to get your tweaks back. It also reloads preference files which could be corrupt in the new firmware.

You SSH all of your themes and other customizations to your computer before you restore. I have the entire process down to about one hour whenever I need to update the firmware. But that's after a great deal of experience and many many restores. But never ever use "restore from backup". That has caused more people more problems over the years. Maybe you'll get lucky. But most don't.

Having said all that I'm staying at 7.0.6 with the evasi0n jailbreak for now until all of this instability with pangu pans out and until all the tweaks I use are updated to 7.1.2.

What I'm unwilling to do at this point, as someone said earlier, is introduce any instability into my phone now that I've achieved perfect stability and my phone functioning/looking exactly the way I want it to.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-07-02 at 03:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Don't care just waiting for a new iPhone and iOS 8 jailbreak at this point. Such a pain in the *** to update a firmware and reinstall all the jailbroken tweaks.
    +1

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    I did this today and I used OpenBackup which others suggested.. problem is openbackup did not work ... fortunately I backed up the openbackup bckup.txt file that had the list of installed packages.. so I would recommend the following..

1. Install OpenBackup and back up your device and if you can, use iexplorer ( or whatever ) to download openbackup's backup files ( recommended!!!! )
    2. Back up with iTunes
    3. Restore to 7.1.2
    4. Restore from iTunes
    5. Jailbreak
    6. Install OpenBackup with Cydia again
    7. Try the restore ... if it works, you're good .. if not continue and DO NOT REBOOT yet.. openbackup overwrites on reboot by default
    8. Install openssh
    9. Use something like putty to get into your idevice with shell
    10. Type the following commands:

cd /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/OpenBackupFiles ( ENTER )
    for i in `cat bckup.txt`;do apt-get -y install $i; done ( ENTER )
    reboot ( ENTER )

Explanation:

Command 1 changes into the folder that contains your openbackup data
    Command 2 loops through every package in the bckup.txt log and installs it with the -y switch which automatically answers yes to every question.. after a few minutes it will be completed.
    Command 3 reboots the device

If all went well you should be back to where you were! .. if you get put into safemode you will have to go into cydia and selectively delete tweaks until you find which one is causing problems.. in my case it was Intelliscreen X .. ( bummer ) ..

I hope this is useful to some..

Updated to clarify a bit about restoring the bckup.txt file... if Openbackup does not work for you, you will HAVE to restore your original one that you backed up if you didn't disable the backup on reboot option in settings..

The comments on modmyi.com confuse the heck out of me so I'm reposting this ..

I did this today and I used OpenBackup which others suggested.. problem is openbackup did not work ... fortunately I backed up the openbackup bckup.txt file that had the list of installed packages.. so I would recommend the following..

1. Install OpenBackup and back up your device and if you can, use iexplorer ( or whatever ) to download openbackup's backup files ( recommended!!!! )
    2. Back up with iTunes
    3. Restore to 7.1.2
    4. Restore from iTunes
    5. Jailbreak
    6. Install OpenBackup with Cydia again
    7. Try the restore ... if it works, you're good .. if not continue and DO NOT REBOOT yet.. openbackup overwrites on reboot by default
    8. Install openssh
    9. Use something like putty to get into your idevice with shell
    10. Type the following commands:

cd /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/OpenBackupFiles ( ENTER )
    for i in `cat bckup.txt`;do apt-get -y install $i; done ( ENTER )
    reboot ( ENTER )

Explanation:

Command 1 changes into the folder that contains your openbackup data
    Command 2 loops through every package in the bckup.txt log and installs it with the -y switch which automatically answers yes to every question.. after a few minutes it will be completed.
    Command 3 reboots the device

If all went well you should be back to where you were! .. if you get put into safemode you will have to go into cydia and selectively delete tweaks until you find which one is causing problems.. in my case it was Intelliscreen X .. ( bummer ) ..

I hope this is useful to some..
    I did this, following your instructions exactly, but whenever I run OpenUpdate it says the process was successful even though nothing has changed when I reboot. I also tried the process you explained with SSH and after every line it gave some error. I'll edit this post and add it in a minute when I have access to my computer. Any other tips or suggestions or should I just try to decipher the bckup.txt file myself?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Oh, nice. Pangu works for 7.1.2? I think I am gonna upgrade, actually.

Thanks

I used Pangu and I'm happy. Some stuff is laggy but hope it will be addressed soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast