Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumors Claim Apple's iPhone 6 Will Be Lighter And Thinner

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rumors Claim Apple's iPhone 6 Will Be Lighter And Thinner

Rumors are out that Apple’s next generation iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 6 will be using just one brightness enhancement film for its display. This change will allow Apple to decrease the size of the LCD, making it the lightest and thinnest iPhone ever. According to China Times, even though the company is currently using two brightness enhancement films for the iPhone 5s, they may have found a way to use just one film. Although it’ll make the upcoming iPhone the lightest to date, it may make things more challenging for manufacturers.

According to the report spotted by G for Games, Apple will have more supplies to help ensure availability. The company was using Miebea for its backlight enhancing film supplies, however it has been reported that Radiant and OMRON will help supply the new iPhone 6 display as well. The iPhone 6 has been rumored to be as thick as the current iPod Touch, which is only 6.1 millimeters. The current iPhone 5s is 7.6 millimeters, 1.5 millimeters thicker than what the rumored iPhone 6 will be.

It is expected for the next generation iPhone to be completely re-modified with rounded edges, similar to the iPod Touch. It is still a mystery as to when Apple will be launching the next iPhone. But if the company decides to follow previous trends, it is likely it will be unveiled sometime in September. It is however, likely that iOS 8 will be available around the same time as the launch of the upcoming device.

Source: China Times, G for Games

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-07-01)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Exciting. Love this time of year. Hoping that most of these reports are true.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Exciting. Love this time of year. Hoping that most of these reports are true.
    Yep! Last 3 years has been released within 2-3 days of my birthday Happy Birthday to me LOL

the way things are going, iphone 9 is going to be as thin as paper. Why don't they concentrate on display tech and battery life first before giving us anorexia phones.

damn it!! give us either oled display or color enhanced display by using quantum dots like sony's trilumious.
    Last edited by swifty7; 2014-07-01 at 06:53 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swifty7 For This Useful Post:

abbdc1 (2014-07-01), buggsy2 (2014-07-01)

The only reason I dont want the damn thing to suffer is because its components like the camera/lens/battery that end up suffering or not improving. Short of using my phone as an actual phone (calls / messages) - the next two most used features are the camera and internet - really dont need the thing getting thinner to make either of those suffer.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    The only reason I dont want the damn thing to suffer is because its components like the camera/lens/battery that end up suffering or not improving. Short of using my phone as an actual phone (calls / messages) - the next two most used features are the camera and internet - really dont need the thing getting thinner to make either of those suffer.
    I don't think either of those will suffer from it getting thinner. Really I'd say they would get better. The phone is going to be way bigger. Which means more space for battery and things. The battery can get bigger by getting thinner too because now there is space to do it

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

This is literally the least surprising news there could possibly be. It gets lighter and thinner every year. IMO to a detriment. If they kept the same thickness it would just allow them to put in an even larger battery. At what point is it thin enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    I don't think either of those will suffer from it getting thinner. Really I'd say they would get better. The phone is going to be way bigger. Which means more space for battery and things. The battery can get bigger by getting thinner too because now there is space to do it

Thinner is a detriment to camera parts. It's why Apple has usually lagged behind in putting higher megapixel cameras in their devices, instead using software and processing power to squeeze as much performance out of the camera as possible. It has been a winning strategy so far, keeping it on par, if not better, than most competing devices. I'm personally a little worried from looking at the mockups with the camera bezels on them. It's a sign that they can't fit a larger or even same sized camera mechanisms in the slimmer design. I really hope that's not a part of Apple's production unit.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    This is literally the least surprising news there could possibly be. It gets lighter and thinner every year. IMO to a detriment. If they kept the same thickness it would just allow them to put in an even larger battery. At what point is it thin enough?

Thinner is a detriment to camera parts. It's why Apple has usually lagged behind in putting higher megapixel cameras in their devices, instead using software and processing power to squeeze as much performance out of the camera as possible. It has been a winning strategy so far, keeping it on par, if not better, than most competing devices. I'm personally a little worried from looking at the mockups with the camera bezels on them. It's a sign that they can't fit a larger or even same sized camera mechanisms in the slimmer design. I really hope that's not a part of Apple's production unit.
    Agreed

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

I am very tempted to upgrade to iphone 6 when it arrives but I think I am going to keep my iPhone 5 for another year.

is it me or does that mock-up image look like Galaxy SII?

http://androidcritics.com/update-sam...xlsj-firmware/
    Last edited by edoutmax; 2014-07-01 at 02:12 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Battery life Apple...for the love of God...why keep going thinner and only having a device that can only go 8 hours. And it's not as comfortable to use. Make it thicker and put a 3000+mAh battery in the thing. Have it go 48 hours under heavy use!

I agree. He'll I'll even take 8-10 hours heavy use.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Not sure what camera you're talking about!?!? When the ip5S was released, it took better pictures than most, if not all, the other phones on the market! Even phones released AFTER the ip5S were being compared to Apple's camera and still fell short.

Throwing in components w/ big numbers doesn't make the functionality any better. Understanding and improving the backbone of the component is what's important and that's why Apple outperforms competitors!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-07-01)

Thanks

I am starting to embrace the larger screen size that I will receive when this phone drops. Im sure it will be lightning fast as well!

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    the way things are going, iphone 9 is going to be as thin as paper. Why don't they concentrate on display tech and battery life first before giving us anorexia phones.

damn it!! give us either oled display or color enhanced display by using quantum dots like sony's trilumious.
    The common consumer.. I 100% doubt you know what any of that crap is. You're the guy who wants 4 gigs of ram on a phone (atm not saying it wont be nice in the future).

These rumors are stupid, HERP DERP it will be thinner and lighter???? Like EVERY iphone previous. And the battery will be better so it can support new tech or increase life span!? NO WAY >.>

Higher megapixel does NOT equal better pics necessarily.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I have a nice Panasonic point and shoot camera 16 MP with a Lumix lens. But yet my 5S will take nicer pic depending on the background and time of day Spec's aren't everything! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Battery life Apple...for the love of God...why keep going thinner and only having a device that can only go 8 hours. And it's not as comfortable to use. Make it thicker and put a 3000+mAh battery in the thing. Have it go 48 hours under heavy use!
    Or just keep it the same thickness and add a bigger battery!

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Not sure what camera you're talking about!?!? When the ip5S was released, it took better pictures than most, if not all, the other phones on the market! Even phones released AFTER the ip5S were being compared to Apple's camera and still fell short.

Throwing in components w/ big numbers doesn't make the functionality any better. Understanding and improving the backbone of the component is what's important and that's why Apple outperforms competitors!
    Real optical lenses take space. It would be nice to have Apple make the first mobile phone with real optical glass, and perhaps a zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    The common consumer.. I 100% doubt you know what any of that crap is. You're the guy who wants 4 gigs of ram on a phone (atm not saying it wont be nice in the future).

These rumors are stupid, HERP DERP it will be thinner and lighter???? Like EVERY iphone previous. And the battery will be better so it can support new tech or increase life span!? NO WAY >.>
    trust me I know more about that crap than you so don't act all smart.