Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Should You Jailbreak Your iOS 7.1/iOS 7.1.1 Device With Pangu? 7 Things to Consider

Default Should you Jailbreak Your iOS 7.1/iOS 7.1.1 Device With Pangu? 7 Things to Consider

On Monday, a new untethered jailbreak tool called Pangu was released for iOS 7.1 and iOS 7.1.1. The tool works on all devices that can run the firmware, including the following:

• iPhone 4
    • iPhone 4s
    • iPhone 5
    • iPhone 5c
    • iPhone 5s
    • iPad 2
    • iPad with retina display
    • iPad Air
    • iPad Mini
    • iPad Mini with retina display
    • iPod touch 5g

So the big question here is, should you jailbreak with Pangu? Here are some things to consider:

1. It's Safe

First of all, Pangu is a third-party jailbreak tool from a band of China-based hackers that we've never heard of, but fortunately, well-known iOS hacker ih8sn0w has confirmed that the tool is malware-free and will not attempt to install any kind of spyware on your device. So it's definitely not a dangerous tool to use in that respect.

2. It's Not in English

Since it was created by hackers in China, the interface is not in English and it is hard to follow. The interface looks messy and has a bunch of randomized characters on it, but you can just barely make out a jailbreak button, and a checkbox, and some pictures to help you through the jailbreak. Luckily, we put together this guide on how to use Pangu, so even though it looks like it's in another language, you can still get through to using it.

3. You Need to Manually Opt Out of a Piracy Store

Pangu will attempt to install a third-party piracy application on your device alongside Cydia, but you can opt out of this option by un-checking the option before you proceed with the jailbreak using the jailbreak tool. Because you can opt out of this option, we can recommend this jailbreak to you without regret – please exercise responsibility and do the right thing!

4. iOS 7.1.2 is On the Horizon

You should also consider that iOS 7.1.2 is coming out soon, and Pangu reportedly already has code that should be ready to jailbreak iOS 7.1.2 when it's out. iOS 7.1.2 is an upcoming firmware release that will fix an issue with e-mail attachment encryption and a Lock Screen bypassing glitch. Since this update is right on the horizon and Pangu is expected to be compatible with this update, we would recommend waiting until iOS 7.1.2 is released before you even attempt the jailbreak, that way you're on the latest jailbreakable firmware (assuming that it CAN be jailbroken, of course).

5. No Mac OS X Support Yet

Another thing to consider is that the tool is Windows-only at this point in time, but a Mac OS X tool is coming out soon. If you're using a Mac without Windows installed somehow, then you're obviously going to HAVE to wait, but if you want, you can also run a virtual machine or use Bootcamp to perform the jailbeak with Pangu, like we did.

6. Bugs, Bugs, Bugs

As with any jailbreak release, you can expect some bugs. This is the initial release of the jailbreak, so we can expect that the jailbreak may have some glitches that can cause your device not to perform as expected. So far, the jailbreak seems pretty stable, but there have been a small number of bugs, like the jailbreak not working the first time, or issues with stock applications crashing.

7. Not All Jailbreak Tweaks Are Ready Yet

iOS 7.1 and iOS 7.1.1 are different from the iOS 7.0-7.0.6 builds of iOS, and because of this, many dependencies and jailbreak tweaks are not yet compatible with iOS 7.1. or iOS 7.1.1. There have been a number of interface changes, as well as under-the-hood changes that may break the functionality of several of your favorite tweaks. We recommend waiting for developers to get updates out before installing your favorite tweaks to ensure that you don't experience unwanted SpringBoard crashes, or other issues.

Overall, we think the BEST thing to do would be to wait and see if iOS 7.1.2 will be jailbreakable with Pangu, but we think that the jailbreak is solid. It worked great for us, and many of our readers have also written their testimonials and results in the comments of our guide, which can be read at this link.

The choice is yours – but we see no harm in jailbreaking your iOS 7.1 or iOS 7.1.1 device!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-06-24 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Added guide links.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-06-24), iH85CH001 (2014-06-27)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I love it, everyone wants a new JB but when one comes up, we get told to wait, and not JB our devices..

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    I love it, everyone wants a new JB but when one comes up, we get told to wait, and not JB our devices..
    no one told you to wait. just some considerations to inform users.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Raptors For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-06-24)

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    no one told you to wait. just some considerations to inform users.
    Yes they have as mentioned below:

You should also consider that iOS 7.1.2 is coming out soon, and Pangu reportedly already has code that should be ready to jailbreak iOS 7.1.2 when it's out. iOS 7.1.2 is an upcoming firmware release that will fix an issue with e-mail attachment encryption and a Lock Screen bypassing glitch. Since this update is right on the horizon and Pangu is expected to be compatible with this update, we would recommend waiting until iOS 7.1.2 is released before you even attempt the jailbreak, that way you're on the latest jailbreakable firmware (assuming that it CAN be jailbroken, of course).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,439 Times in 1,051 Posts

I have this running on my iPad mini and ip5S without any dramas, a few tweaks need updating but otherwise it's all good👍

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
    Yes they have as mentioned below:

Just cause they say 7.1.2 is on the Horizon doesn't mean there telling us to wait its more like of a if you wanna jailbreak do it know before apple patches the exploits and also who knows if they'll have a jailbreak for the new firmware and if they do it might take months before it's out.

Most jailbreaks work fine with the intended version. Just don't upgrade if you want the jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, thanks but no thanks. No way I'm putting a JB on a device written in a language I can't even read based on the word of one source that it's safe (no offense to ih8sn0w).

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Just cause they say 7.1.2 is on the Horizon doesn't mean there telling us to wait its more like of a if you wanna jailbreak do it know before apple patches the exploits and also who knows if they'll have a jailbreak for the new firmware and if they do it might take months before it's out.
    What would you say are the chances that 7.1.2 would be jailbreakable? In other words, what would you say are the chances that Apple finds the exploits in time to patch them before releasing 7.1.2?

As with all upgrades, I hate losing everything I've so meticulously installed and tweaked to my liking... I heard the 7.1 upgrade was supposed to be great for battery life, so I'm most anxious to upgrade my iPad, as I'm getting horrible battery life on it... If I knew for sure that I'd be able to jailbreak 7.1.2, I'd wait, but I feel like I shouldn't risk it... Any thoughts?

Yes glad you confirmed this.cell phones could be hacked and put with spyware gathering lots of info from device so yea any new jailbreak not comming from main dev team i would be worried about thanks for the report

Sent from my iDevice

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

When has modmyi EVER told us to (or "recommended") that we should wait for Apple to release a update before jailbreaking?? R u kidding me? If this was a dev team release, we would be being told to "HURRY UP and jailbreak, before the update possibly closes the jailbreak!" Then once the update is released we are told "HURRY, update has been released, Apple will stop signing X ios version anytime, hurry up and make sure your jailbroken JUST TO BE SAFE!"

But now, this time, when a unknown group releases a jailbreak which semi-promotes piracy, we get this VERY fishy recommendation. It totally goes against everything we have been told before, as well as common sense. UPDATE NOW PEOPLE! Don't take the chance!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

A friend who speak Mandarin translated it for me. It's a changing world. We got to adapt

I'm fine with my ios 8 beta

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Should You Jailbreak Your iOS 7.1/iOS 7.1.1 Device With Pangu? 7 Things to ...
    The tweaks I'm missing are lockdown Pro and adaptive keyboard it does not work with this jailbreak but I believe an update will be coming soon apart from that everything went smooth at the first attempt and the battery life seems to be better now thanks Pangu dev team

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Last edited by godfred212; 2014-06-24 at 03:18 PM.

I think I will wait till I see a JB from a more rep source thanks though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's all about choices no one is being forced.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

This Jailbreak is fine. If you follow the guides posted then you have no worries. Stop being racist people. Yes you are in a way. The only reason anyone here is questioning whether this jailbreak is safe or not is because it came from the Chinese. Jesus I can't stand people like that. I mean go ahead and wait 5 months on the dev team then.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockyseay For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-06-24), Gcruz (2014-06-24), Silverado1987 (2014-06-24)

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    When has modmyi EVER told us to (or "recommended") that we should wait for Apple to release a update before jailbreaking?? R u kidding me? If this was a dev team release, we would be being told to "HURRY UP and jailbreak, before the update possibly closes the jailbreak!" Then once the update is released we are told "HURRY, update has been released, Apple will stop signing X ios version anytime, hurry up and make sure your jailbroken JUST TO BE SAFE!"

But now, this time, when a unknown group releases a jailbreak which semi-promotes piracy, we get this VERY fishy recommendation. It totally goes against everything we have been told before, as well as common sense. UPDATE NOW PEOPLE! Don't take the chance!
    I'm fairness if anything was to go wrong these guys would be blamed for telling everyone to use the JB tool, I think this would be the same with any unknown JB team

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Durb1n View Post
    I'm fairness if anything was to go wrong these guys would be blamed for telling everyone to use the JB tool, I think this would be the same with any unknown JB team

We already have the go ahead from people we trust. So what makes it different this time? Oh that's right, the dev is not American this time. We are biased for NO good reason.

1 + 2 = 5

Quote Originally Posted by rockyseay View Post
    This Jailbreak is fine. If you follow the guides posted then you have no worries. Stop being racist people. Yes you are in a way. The only reason anyone here is questioning whether this jailbreak is safe or not is because it came from the Chinese. Jesus I can't stand people like that. I mean go ahead and wait 5 months on the dev team then.
    I dont think most people who dont trust the JB are not being racist.
    I dont trust it because its UNKNOWN Chinese dev.
    But different factors play into my decision. Just recently eBay stopped the selling of a certain phone models from Chinese sellers because it was found that the phones were preloaded with malware that could steal your data. add that with the fact that I never heard of this dev team. and that I dont understand what is written on the installer window, (even tho there is a guide) I would rather wait until a more known dev team creates a JB tool, or until more trustworthy sources verify the JB isn't malicious.

If it were Russian, German, Spanish, or what ever other nationality, My decision would also not to JB until a KNOWN dev builds a tool. It Has nothing to do with race, everything to do with reputation.

Now If someone outright said Im not going to JB from them because they are Chinese and they dont like chinese people, then yeah racist...
    Last edited by Robertsdp; 2014-06-24 at 04:11 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Robertsdp For This Useful Post:

oldskoolsk8r (2014-06-24)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast