Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Announces its Much Anticipated "Fire Phone"

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Amazon Announces its Much Anticipated "Fire Phone"

Amazon recently unveiled its much-anticipated new smartphone, the Fire Phone, which Amazon calls “refined, beautiful, and robust.” The smart phone has a 4.70-inch LCD HD display along with Gorilla Glass 3 on both sides and “precise” aluminum buttons. It includes a quad-core 2.2 GHz processor, an Adreno 330 Graphics Processor, 2 GB of RAM, and dual stereo speakers. There is also a 13-megaixel rear-facing camera with an f/2.0 five element lens and built-in optical image stabilization.

Aiming at Apple, Amazon touted the low-light capabilities of the camera included in the phone and announced free unlimited photo storage through its Amazon Cloud Drive service. For those of you who didn’t already know, Apple recently announced its own iCloud Photo Library, but it offers a limited amount of storage for free.

Along with standard cameras, Amazon’s Fire Phone utilizes four additional cameras for a 3D interface, called “Dynamic Perspective.” 3D images on the phone as it is tilted and viewed from different angles, thanks to advanced eye and face tracking capabilities. The feature was demonstrated with a mapping app, the 3D UI displayed a 3D version of the Empire State Building that could be viewed from all angles, with a tilt of the phone expanding the view.

Amazon’s Fire Phone also accomplishes the facial tracking with its four corner cameras and knows were a user’s head is at all times to aid Dynamic Perspective, using infrared for tracking in the dark and advanced algorithms for head continuous tracking. Accelerometers enable navigation through tilt gestures, demonstrated within a maps app that brought up Yelp when the phone was tilted slightly. Tilting and Dynamic Perspective can also be used in apps and for web browsing, scrolling through items, zooming in, pulling up menus, and more. There was also an auto scroll feature that will scroll through web pages and books automatically, which Jeff Bezos called “incredibly natural.” Amazon has already released a Dynamic Perspective SDK for developers.

Also included with the phone is a new flagship feature called Firefly, which is a virtual recognition program able to recognize QR codes, barcodes, objects and more, which facilitates the discovery and purchase of various items. Firefly is built directly into the Fire Phone with a dedicated button on the side. Amazon demoed Firefly scanning barcodes, URLs and products like games, keeping a record of what was scanned and allowing the info to be used to make purchases, phone calls and more. Firefly is also able to listen to music and recognize audio like TV shows, much like Siri can now do with Shazam, and it’s also able to recognize art, pulling up a Wikipedia page for a painting.

As far as the phone’s UI goes, it includes an app grid that lets users pin content like books, apps, magazines, and more, and there’s also a scrollable carousel of apps at the top of the screen and four common apps on the bottom of the phone’s interface. The phone also includes active widgets that can be used when opening a full app is unnecessary. Both the Kindle Fire’s Second Screen and X-Ray feature work on the Fire phone, and users are able to “fling” video from the phone to the Amazon TV while X-Ray gives details on whatever is being watched. HBO Go, Netflix, YouTube, ESPN along with more are all supposed in addition to Amazon’s own video services.

As expected, the Fire Phone will also support Amazon’s new Prime music service, which the company launched last week, as well as music from services such as Spotify, Pandora and iHeartMusic, with support for Kindle and Audible as well. Much like the latest Fire tablets, it supports Mayday, a free service that lets users contact customer support representatives for free.

Amazon’s Fire Phone is exclusive to AT&T and will be priced at $199 for the 32GB iteration and $299 for the 64GB iteration. This of course is the pricing with a standard contract or carrier agreement. The price includes the phone, stay-flat cables, and premium magnetic earbuds. Amazon has made pre-orders available to the public from its website and has mentioned that the device is expected to begin shipping in July.

Source: Amazon

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Wow.

No ****.

This sounds a LOT better than I expected.

Well this is just more competition for Apple and maybe will get them to give us more features without a higher price.. Like a larger screen and 32gb instead of 16gb base model.

Really sounds nice.

Sounds like intense tech from amazon... Looks nice i might check it out

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

No thanks, this just seems more like a sales tool for Amazon. I like Amazon, but I don't want a phone that enables me to buy and shove products down my throat. All in all, its the software that counts, it this is just blah looking...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crouching For This Useful Post:

Rcworship (2014-06-19)

Quote Originally Posted by crouching View Post
    No thanks, this just seems more like a sales tool for Amazon. I like Amazon, but I don't want a phone that enables me to buy and shove products down my throat. All in all, its the software that counts, it this is just blah looking...
    Got that right. Just another selling angle. With the whole camera feature. Where u can snap a pic and buy it on amazon.

Sent from my Apple TV.

No thanks I will wait for the I phone 6 though I am sure it will appeal to kindle users

Thanks

Competition is good for the consumer. Can't wait to see what this brings for the next 12 months of tech advancement.

lol "much anticipated"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (2014-06-19)

Thanks

I don't see what's so great about the motion controls. Plus any smartphone user can use the Google app to search with a picture.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post
    lol "much anticipated"
    Lol I laughed at that too haha

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Not that great after seeing the hands on review. It's also thicker than I would like.
    Last edited by reznor9; 2014-06-19 at 08:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm surprised by how good it sounds. But all this non-sense with motion tracking is a bit much. I'm one of those people who bought an early xbone and have the Kinect always facing a wall because I don't want Microsoft or NSA watching me. (Yeah. I'm one of those people). 4 cameras always watching me from my phone screen, no thanks.

Hopefully we see apple start integrating QR codes in iOS 10 (because we all know if they do it won't be till 10 earliest) because QR codes have become so big in America after literally decades of being huge in Japan. It's not going away anytime soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TDH Advocate View Post
    Hopefully we see apple start integrating QR codes in iOS 10 (because we all know if they do it won't be till 10 earliest) because QR codes have become so big in America after literally decades of being huge in Japan. It's not going away anytime soon.
    I have never, nor have I heard of anyone else who has, scanned a worthwhile QR code.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I have never, nor have I heard of anyone else who has, scanned a worthwhile QR code.
    Lol.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Look cool, but the 3D thing has been done 2-3 times already and has always flopped. Someone/companies have to program and code that stuff which is a lot of work.

I agree with other though about the cameras tracking your facial movement all the time. Plus shoving their items down your throat and prob tracking everything you look at for pricing.

One idea I do like is the unlimited photo cloud storage. But then again it's not like they have iTunes to sync to. All your stuff is depended on cloud storage. I prefer having my stuff on my computer and I control.

No thanks! I'll pass and wait for the iPhone 6 👍😉

When I first heard of this head tracking feature I could just see in my mind people with their phones in front og them trying to hold them steady while they bob and weave their heads around it. It’s going to look pretty ridiculous!

Also, I wish the media would stop calling it 3D. It’s not 3D in the traditional sense, or at all! It’s just layers of 2D or adjusted 2D. It’s very much like Apple’s parallax effect, except instead of getting the effect from simply tilting your phone, you have to move your whole head. In fact, I'm sure Apple could do anything the Fire Phone could do using Parallax, without making the user loook dumb.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I agree! All they did was add depth for the illusion.