Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nine New Features in the Newly-seeded iOS 8 Beta 2 [Video]

Default Nine New Features in the Newly-seeded iOS 8 Beta 2 [Video]

Apple seeded iOS 8 beta 2 to developers Tuesday afternoon, and many of you might be curious as to what kinds or new features and fixes Apple added to the updated beta. We've been keeping track of the new features in iOS 8 for you, and now it's time to let you know what's new in iOS 8 beta 2. In this piece, we're going to show you nine things we found that are new to iOS 8 beta 2 (we would usually pick eight, but we figured we could do better).

1. You Can Now Quickly Mark All Messages as Read

The first new feature we're going to tell you about is an improvement to the Messages application. You will be able to mark all of your SMS messages and/or iMessages as read in one fell swoop. You'll find that when you tap on the edit button while looking at all of your message conversations in the Messages application, there will be a new button labeled "Read All." When you tap this, every single one of your unread messages will be marked as read so that you don't have to go into each and every thread individually to mark each unread message as read. This will be great for power users that receive messages short enough to read from the Lock Screen that don't need to actually go in and read the messages individually.

2. It's Easier to Toggle Notifications on a Per-app Basis

Another new feature that was added with iOS 8 beta 2 is the ability to easily toggle notifications on a per-app basis from the Notification Center preferences pane in the Settings application. Normally, if you wanted to enable or disable notifications for an application, you would have to drag it out of Notification Center, disable any kind of banners or alerts, disable Lock Screen notifications, and disable badges. Fortunately, since this is a lot of work, iOS 8 makes this easier by adding a toggle switch to the application in Notification Center to easily enable or disable all notifications for that application. This is much easier than turning a bunch of stuff on and off every time.

3. The Podcasts App is Now Built Into iOS

Along with iBooks, Podcasts is now a native iOS 8 application, meaning that it is no longer necessary for iOS 8 users to download the application from the App Store. What this also means is that there's no way to delete the application from the Home Screen, so unfortunately, it's another application added to your Home Screen that you may never use if you're not into Podcasts. Luckily, you can place the applications you don't want to use into a folder and forget all about them.

4. Voice and Camera Buttons in the Messages App Are Now Gray

A slight redesign in the Messages application has also taken place. Those voice and camera buttons for taking pictures, shooting video, and recording voice messages to send to people are now gray instead of blue. A minor change, but notable nonetheless.

5. Ads From Safari Will No Longer Kick You to the App Store

Sometimes while browsing the Web on your mobile device, you might have come across an ad that, when tapped, brought you straight to the App Store. While this is intended to be convenient, some users also find that it's a bit of an annoyance, because they weren't done browsing the Web when their device forced them to switch applications. Now, in iOS 8 beta 2, Mobile Safari will no longer do this, and those ads are blocked.

6. SpotLight Updated With Better Search Results

Like OS X Mavericks, iOS 8 beta 2 is bringing iOS devices a better SpotLight with additional features. iOS 8 beta 1 already improved SpotLight for iOS, but beta 2 is bringing even more features, like direct search results from specific Web pages, and more detailed results for what's on your device. If you're planning to use SpotLight as a quick search, then you'll be very happy with SpotLight in iOS 8 beta 2.

7. App Store Now Lists Purchased Apps by Name Instead of Purchase Date

The App Store in iOS 8 beta 2 will now display a list of your purchased applications in order by date of purchase, which is different from iOS 8 beta 1, which showed those applications in order by name. This will make it easier for someone that's trying to find an application that they bought that they can't recall the name of, because they'll probably remember when they bought it.

8. Raise Your Device to Your Ear to Listen

The final feature we've noted in iOS 8 beta 2 is that you can raise your device to your ear to listen to incoming voice messages. The device uses a combination of the built-in motion sensor, as well as the infrared sensor to detect when you're put your phone against your ear. This is a great way to listen to a message hands and eyes free, especially on the road. you won't have to use your hands to play the message, or use your eyes to read the message.

9. QuickType Now Available on the iPad

QuickType is now available on the iPad in iOS 8 beta 2; this is a predictive keyboard feature that will try to guess what you're saying before you say it. It's not really a new feature to iOS 8, as iOS 8 beta 1 already had it, but iOS 8 beta 1 did not support the iPad with this feature.

You can watch our full video detailing all of these features below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OG4xvOqrfdI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-06-18 at 06:43 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

Junnito (2014-06-18)

The recently deleted folder in photos seems new as well for beta 2, maybe it's not

Quote Originally Posted by Eiswritsat View Post
    The recently deleted folder in photos seems new as well for beta 2, maybe it's not
    That was in beta 1!

Facebook videos are working again

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    That was in beta 1!
    I kinda figured but wasn't sure, lol thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    7. App Store Now Lists Purchased Apps by Name Instead of Purchase Date

The App Store in iOS 8 beta 2 will now display a list of your purchased applications in order by date of purchase, which is different from iOS 8 beta 1, which showed those applications in order by name. This will make it easier for someone that's trying to find an application that they bought that they can't recall the name of, because they'll probably remember when they bought it.
    So which is it? Why won't they give us an option of how we want it displayed?

Not to mention Siri music tagging...
    Won't let me upload pic on mobile app...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can't wait for 8 to drop publicly. I miss the beta. Even though I only had it for like 2 days, I have up my jailbreak for it. At least I didn't really do much different with my jailbreak to make it a major change but still. I miss 8. Lol. I also love that podcasts is built in now as well. It's one of the apps I've used forever and wondered why they never made stock.

Thanks

Hey Anthony! Did u see that right from an email message alert u can either mark it read or throw it in trash?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

About #8, it would be nice if that would work for incoming text messages too. Raise the phone to your ear and Siri would read it to you. Then she could ask if you want to reply right after reading it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

any way to enable contact photos in the messages conversation list? idk why it's enabled by default for iPad with no option to enable / disable and iPhone is left in the dark

Looks like Safari now gives an error message instead of crashing. Something pops up that says there was a problem and it reloads the page.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Magnum's Avatar
    Thanks

Also it automatically makes a folder for slow motion videos instead of keeping them all in one general video folder

Are you finding beta 2 to be pretty stable?

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    About #8, it would be nice if that would work for incoming text messages too. Raise the phone to your ear and Siri would read it to you. Then she could ask if you want to reply right after reading it.
    Yeah, that would be nice. But, for the time being you can enable speak text from the Settings application, so all you will have to do is tap and hold on a message and tap on the "speak" button to have the device read a message to you.