Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple To Be Using Bing Over Google in Spotlight Search For OS X Yosemite and iOS 8

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple To Be Using Bing Over Google in Spotlight Search For OS X Yosemite and iOS 8

While we all tend to go to Google for anything search related, it seems Apple will be teaming up with Microsoft’s Bing for their upcoming operating system. It wasn’t exactly clear during Monday’s WWDC 2014 keynote, but Microsoft has confirmed that Bing will be the default search engine for OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 in Spotlight. Google may not be too thrilled on this news because a lot of its revenue comes from search-based advertising.

Search Engine Land released a statement on the matter with Microsoft saying:

Last year Bing became the default web search for Siri, and will now also be the default web search provider in the redesigned Spotlight search feature for the next generation of iOS and OS X. We're excited about extending the Bing platform to help iOS and Mac customers find what they need to get things done.
    Although Google will still remain as the default search engine in Safari, for the first time ever, Apple will be adding privacy-focused DuckDuckGo search engine as an option as well.

Source: Search Engine Land
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-06-04 at 11:13 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

First negative in iOS 8 I've seen so far. Booooo!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Evaded For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-06-05)

Bing has been used by Siri since iOS 7 dropped, so I'm not surprised Apple are doing this

Edit: info here
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-06-04 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaded View Post
    First negative in iOS 8 I've seen so far. Booooo!
    It's the default search engine. You do know you CAN change it if you choose to do so...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

2fast (2014-06-05), ChicagoV (2014-06-06), Dphillipds (2014-06-05)

I actually like Bing better than Google. The problem is....I have just become so used to googling everything it's hard to train myself to go to the other...so I quickly forget. LOL

Thanks

Shots fired!

This doesn't shock me though, Apple and Google's relationship gets more bitter by the day.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    I actually like Bing better than Google
    Say again? Why, seriously?

duck duck go FTW

google is so biased

Bing is a better search engine anyway; they don't sell positinion results like Google does, and they don't sell you to advertisers the way Google does either. Everything Google does is designed to make YOU their product; that's how they make their money, by selling you.

big fat piece of crap!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulsecub View Post
    Bing is a better search engine anyway; they don't sell positinion results like Google does, and they don't sell you to advertisers the way Google does either. Everything Google does is designed to make YOU their product; that's how they make their money, by selling you.
    so i guess you prefer ie too lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ryu111 For This Useful Post:

Will719 (2014-06-05)

Quote Originally Posted by ryu111 View Post
    so i guess you prefer ie too lol
    What does IE have to do with what he said??

Google has search down to a science, but besides that, I try to avoid Google at all costs. NONE of their "free" products or services are truly free.

Not a fan of Bing, but they've come a long way and are getting better. At least we can change the default to what we want.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

That's a bit ironic. Apple has gone to using a Microsoft service.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    That's a bit ironic. Apple has gone to using a Microsoft service.
    It's not the first time Apple has used Microsoft services.