Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Some of iOS 8's New Features Explained

Default Some of iOS 8's New Features Explained

Apple announced iOS 8 at the WWDC 2014 Keynote, and it came with a whole truckload of new features. While there are many new features coming with iOS 8, we're going to try to go in depth with some of the new features of iOS that we thought needed some more explaining.

1. The New Notification Center

For one, Apple is completely changing the way we use Notification Center in iOS 8. They've done away with the "Missed" and "All" tabs in Notification Center and combined them to make a new tab called "Notifications." The "Today" tab now houses additional widgets, including third-party widgets that developers can include with their App Store applications for the user to use at their own free will. These widgets are going to be handy for accessing simple information at a glance without the need to open the applications.

2. The Ability to Quickly Reply to Notifications

Apple has added a lot of new features to the notification system in iOS 8, including the ability to quickly reply to incoming text messages, Facebook notifications, and more. When you get a banner notification from a supported application, you will be able to respond to that notification right from the banner without having to open the application. If you're answering a message, you can reply to it; or, if it's a Facebook notification, you can reply to or even like something right from the banner notification.

3. Improved App Switcher

Apple definitely seemed to be out of their minds when they came up with the App Switcher in iOS 7. It's a fully-functional App Switcher, but it uses up so much space on the display and there is so much empty canvas space that isn't being utilized for anything. In iOS 8, the App Switcher will keep track of your favorite and recent contacts at the top of the App Switcher so you can easily call, FaceTime, or message those contacts.

4. Better Do Not Disturb Features

For those events where a single person is being annoying, you can now utilize Do Not Disturb for that individual contact without having to enable it system-wide for everybody that's trying to get in touch with you. This is handy for when you have a spouse that you really don't want to reply to yet because you're at work, but they keep messaging you and making your iPhone buzz.

5. A Better Keyboard

Apple is also making the keyboard better in iOS 8 with the ability to access a new feature called QuickType, which helps guess the words you want to spell as you're typing and suggests them to you so that you can include them in your conversation without having to type them our manually. Another new keyboard feature is the ability to use third-party keyboards such as Swype and others.

6. Improvements to the Siri Voice Assistant

iOS 8 is also spicing up Siri with a slew of new features. Siri can now be activated by your voice if your device is plugged into a power source – you can just say "Hey Siri," and she will be ready for you to start asking questions. Siri can also be used to recognize songs via Shazam, purchase new iTunes content, and much more in iOS 8. The dictation feature has been given support for many new languages.

7. Third Party Access to Touch ID

The iPhone 5s debuted a new feature called Touch ID, which allows you to use your fingerprint to authenticate App Store/iTunes Store purchases and unlock your iPhone. While it has been quite locked down in iOS 7, iOS 8 is going to allow third-party applications to access Touch ID so that you can use it to authenticate yourself for third-party applications, such as maybe a banking application.

8. Synchronization Between iOS Devices and Macs

With a new feature that Apple is calling continuity, Apple is making it so that anything you do on your iOS 8 device can be put down on one device, and continued on another. That includes composing an e-mail, editing a document, and more. iOS devices and Macs (iPhone or not) also have the ability to send and receive SMS messages and answer or place phone calls. This is all done through the power of iCloud, and makes for better convenience – especially for those with many of Apple's devices.

Be sure to check out our video on the features we've explained below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6ZW26CzW3iI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are plenty of other new features in iOS 8 too (many still uncovered), so stay tuned as we continue to keep you in the loop as more features are discovered!

I'd like to see these features added in the form of jailbreaks for those of us who are jailbroken and have to wait for ios 8 jailbreak untethered

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

They are already available through the jailbreak... Where do you think they got the ideas from

I would have been happy with the ability to attach files to emails. Such a disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Quote Originally Posted by Selfmadexpert View Post
    I'd like to see these features added in the form of jailbreaks for those of us who are jailbroken and have to wait for ios 8 jailbreak untethered
    You are in luck.
    There is a jailbreak tweak for mostly all of these features.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post
    I would have been happy with the ability to attach files to emails. Such a disappointment.

Dropbox and Mailbox... Winning.

Thanks

Im sure that the JB Dev Teams are getting them ready as we speak. Can't wait for the new JB enhancements to iOS 8!

Default iOS 7 Tweaks in iOS 8
    in the making. check in about an hour
    Mitch

iPhone 7
    iPhone 6
    iMac 27 inch
    13-inch Macbook pro
    iPad Air 2

Many developers are probably already hard at work!

In the mean time, check out all the features that iOS 8 now has that the jailbreak community has had for years:

Eight Things iOS 8 Borrowed From the Jailbreak Community

Quote Originally Posted by rolandgabor View Post

if you're jailbroken, AnyAttach FTW.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to novadam For This Useful Post:

thazsar (2014-06-05)

Some of the new features will be really nice to have. I'm super excited for a Swype keyboard. It was honestly one of the features I missed most from Android. I tried a few of the Swype like keyboards available on Cydia. TouchPal was the best, hands down, but it's super hard to theme and the settings panel is in all Chinese.

Thanks

Are there any new dynamic wallpapers in iOS 8?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

still dont see how continuity works. i installed ios 8 on my ipad mini 1 and iphone 5s and calls dont ring on both. there is no phone icon to make calls on the ipad. texts dont come through on both.

where are these new icloud storage prices as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RileyFreeman View Post
    still dont see how continuity works. i installed ios 8 on my ipad mini 1 and iphone 5s and calls dont ring on both. there is no phone icon to make calls on the ipad. texts dont come through on both.

Dude...it's beta...maybe not everything is actually turned all the way on yet...it's buggy...expect issues...

Thanks
    They had it coming. Jailbreaking has, ever since it was introduced, revolutionized the function and features of Apple devices. Everything we've seen being implemented, starting from about iOS 4 till present, has continually came from the jailbreak community. The only thing left for Apple is to slowly admit that Cydia developers are freeing it, not destroying it.

Thanks

iOS 8 and finally quick reply will be stock... Bout time... BiteSMS is gonna be hella tight...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sage I For This Useful Post:

hemptation (2014-06-05)

Quote Originally Posted by RileyFreeman View Post

That's wild. I have been receiving iMessages and FaceTime calls on all 3 devices since iOS 6 I am sure this will not work 100% correctly from the door. But it is something apple
    Has
    Been aimin for, for a long time They want everything to sync and flow
    From your desktop , to your mobile device , to your car and then back to your mobile device

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    That's wild. I have been receiving iMessages and FaceTime calls on all 3 devices since iOS 6 I am sure this will not work 100% correctly from the door. But it is something apple
    Has
    Been aimin for, for a long time They want everything to sync and flow
    From your desktop , to your mobile device , to your car and then back to your mobile device
    iMessage and FaceTime do that. What he was referring to was the demo that you can, via wifi, receive your calls on your mac or iPad from your phone.