Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile to Pick Up Wi-Fi Calling for iPhones on its Network

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default T-Mobile to Pick Up Wi-Fi Calling for iPhones on its Network

Apple will be carrying out a Wi-Fi voice-calling feature in iOS 8 when it debuts this fall. It was confirmed by T-Mobile that the iPhone function would work on its network. Shortly after the WWDC 2014 keynote ended, it was posted on T-Mobile’s official blog that they would be supporting iOS 8’s Wi-Fi calling feature when the new iPhone carries out. Mike Sievert, T-Mobile’s chief marketing officer, noted that when iOS 8 releases, over 90% of T-Mobile’s smartphones will support the function.

T-Mobile’s solution lets users connect and make calls for free on Wi-Fi networks. The reason this is better for consumers is because it gives subscribers better reliability and stabilized connections, as well as better battery performance and audio quality. As for the carrier, it’ll help out with bandwidth issues in congested areas and will take a load off cellular backbone. Wi-Fi calling was listed by Apple in a single slide that was combined with new iOS features too light to mention or spend too much time explaining during the keynote.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will Wi-Fi Calling work on beta 1?

Thanks

Bout time..win win! Wonder if restaurants and public places with internet access will start to charge or limit ones use? With a many phone calls and web use, Im sure their bandwidth with get soaked up quickly. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ATT are you listening!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lungs View Post
    ATT are you listening!!!
    When does ATT ever listen?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Dealing with T-Mo iPhones for 7+ years and it still paying off for me, sticking with them and saving some bucks is still paying off. Kudos T-Mo.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jackbauerctu's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if the CDMA carriers would support it. Most plans today already have unlimited talk and text so wifi calling would only really be useful (aka free) if you're traveling internationally. I personally have a super old verizon plan with grandfathered unlimited data but only 900 minutes. Wonder if verizon would support wifi calling so that if I make wifi calls it wouldn't count against my minutes...

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi