Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ModMyi App Updated, Thanks for the Feedback!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,464 Times in 7,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Some people catalogue a list of ad hosting servers and distribute ad-blocking host files. It's been going on for a long time. Thazsar most likely got his from one of those distributors unless he is one himself. He has a package in his repo that installs this host file.
    Wow cool. So this will block ads from 'all sites' from now on? Or just ones listed in his host file?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Wow cool. So this will block ads from 'all sites' from now on? Or just ones listed in his host file?
    Just the ones listed in the host file, but the file is designed to list as many ad hosts as possible.

This works on desktops, too, by the way. I don't think host files are formatted the same on all systems though, so if you want to replace a desktop host file make sure you get one designed for your system.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 2014-05-30 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Sorry guys, been doing my real job!!!

I created a tweak a long time ago for blocking ads in Cydia but when MMI was using iAds, I also blocked those. I try to update the hosts file to still block Cydia ads but discovered that blocking iAds also stops iRadio service.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Sorry guys, been doing my real job!!!

I created a tweak a long time ago for blocking ads in Cydia but when MMI was using iAds, I also blocked those. I try to update the hosts file to still block Cydia ads but discovered that blocking iAds also stops iRadio service.
    Ah. I was pretty sure it was 'tweak' based.. Can you block the ads for iCleanerPro?

Thanks

A regular tweak CANNOT replace the hosts file if it comes from MMI, BigBoss or Zod because they won't approve file system mods. That's why I made my own repo for stuff like this

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Ah. I was pretty sure it was 'tweak' based.. Can you block the ads for iCleanerPro?
    I dont have any ads in iCleaner. Have you tried it since installing this hosts file?

Thanks

Default ModMyi App Updated, Thanks for the Feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    A regular tweak CANNOT replace the hosts file if it comes from MMI, BigBoss or Zod because they won't approve file system mods. That's why I made my own repo for stuff like this
    Understood. I meant your method of creating a new hosts file had to be a tweak ( piece of objC code, etc.) I'm not a noob to this stuff, bro..
    I dont have any ads in iCleaner. Have you tried it since installing this hosts file?
    Yes. Just now. Ads no longer there. Everyone gets ads with iCleanerPro. You only don't have them because of the hosts file you created. . Cool!

Thanks

Now try Cydia! Mostly ad-free!!! BigBoss likes to come up w/ new ways to push ads so it gets hard to figure out what to block...

The hosts file is basically a text file. As long as you have an address to block, you can easily edit it on your device

I still don't know how to block Activator ads, though.
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-05-30 at 07:56 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-05-31), NewD (2014-05-30)

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cNone View Post
    Still can't remove the ads, so I don't use on my phone. When will it be fixed? Thanks.
    Update to fix this is already in review at App Store!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-05-31), Zokunei (2014-05-31)

New version of modmy is great but how do I remove the ads like I did in the older version. Lowell

Thanks

^^^Read back 15 posts. That's your solution....and it helps other apps, too.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

This app is still useless for news. Still having to use website to see latest news instead of seeing other threads from last post or last comments. Like the old app better.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carvensno For This Useful Post:

linuxduckie (2014-06-02), rickuk (2014-06-02), rodnutz (2014-06-02)

Don't like this update at all! Miss the original portal / news feed look. Everything was so much cleaner without all this extra stuff on the screen. The sticky is annoying and I can't remove it. Can you please make it an option to have the old look versus this new one.

Anyone didn't update and want to share the original release with me? I could care less about bugs, ads, etc.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rodnutz For This Useful Post:

linuxduckie (2014-06-02), rickuk (2014-06-02)

The new make over sucks compared to the old version.

1. I don't need to see your picture icon. Enable a feature to turn it off.

2. The title of the news post should be the one grabbing my attention, not the author who's writing it. The first thing I see is the highlighted blue of the authors name, it's very distracting and deters from seeing news updates and topics. Either get rid of it or make the font smaller and change it to a different color like your subtitle, light grey.

3. The subtitle gives previews of hyperlinks to the post. This is very pointless... A preview text of the article would make more sense than a preview to a partial hyperlink of the article.

4. Ads, very annoying! I'm sure others have complained. There is no feature to turn it off with an in-app purchase or a restore feature from a previous version purchase... Fix it or allow people to re-download the old version. I love the old version, it was simple and none of these new flashy "features" or "art" was ever needed. Keep it simple, don't be like iOS7.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to linuxduckie For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-06-02)

Thanks

Is there any way to prevent the app from automatically dumping you into the news section ? I'd like it to just put me back into the Subscribed section. It's as if they think the news section is the most important. I never read the news. Not what I'm here for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123