Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Impatient Smartphone Buyers Not Waiting for iPhone 6

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Impatient Smartphone Buyers Not Waiting for iPhone 6

Despite Apple's forthcoming release of its next-gen flagship iPhone 6 within a matter of months, just over one-third of U.S. smartphone owners will purchase a new iPhone - likely the iPhone 5s - within the next three months.

Apparently, waiting just a few weeks longer for either a new model or a price cut for the iPhone 5s is just too much to ask for an impatient smartphone lover.

Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster discovered in his latest survey of U.S. smartphone buyers that 34% of those polled will grab the iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c before the iPhone 6 arrives in August or September. That percentage, however, continues to fall as we near the iPhone 6 launch. Nonetheless, 34% remains a large segment of consumers.

"We believe that the iPhone showed significant strength in overseas markets, in addition to the China Mobile launch, that enabled it to grow meaningfully higher than expectations," Munster says of Apple's recent iPhone market share growth and the consistently strong consumer purchase intent the iPhone retains. "While our survey is US focused, we believe the data suggests that the iPhone, particularly the highest-end 5S model, continues to have staying power given about a third of US smartphone consumers expect to purchase an iPhone in the next three months. We view the stronger March quarter in addition to our survey as an indication that iPhone can remain healthy into the iPhone 6 upgrade in September."

Source: Barron's

You can bet that I will wait or the I phone 6 !

Default Waiting ?! or not waiting!
    Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    You can bet that I will wait or the I phone 6 !
    Yes you probably you will but not me .... I was an iphone owners since the first one came on the market up to the newly 5S. But i was sick waiting for the next big thing, which never came out. What came out was a small little screen with poor resolution, no multitasking, no free customization ( unless jailbroken) and my list could go on and on. The poor quality of the battery really trow me away from iPhone and today I ma a very happy owner of Samsung Galaxy S5. I will not say here the pros and cons about Galaxy S5. What I wanter to say is that Apple better bring a an mazing phone or will loose many like me. I still am a big Apple fun, all my devices are Apple ( laptops, desktops) except the phone and the tablet. And if Apple on september believe that bigger screen will solve the runaway from iPhone, they are wrong. Samsung is coming in September with Galaxy Note 4 , which will completely kill the iPhone 6 if doesn't bring the real "next big thing"!

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    Yes you probably you will but not me .... I was an iphone owners since the first one came on the market up to the newly 5S. But i was sick waiting for the next big thing, which never came out. What came out was a small little screen with poor resolution, no multitasking, no free customization ( unless jailbroken) and my list could go on and on. The poor quality of the battery really trow me away from iPhone and today I ma a very happy owner of Samsung Galaxy S5. I will not say here the pros and cons about Galaxy S5. What I wanter to say is that Apple better bring a an mazing phone or will loose many like me. I still am a big Apple fun, all my devices are Apple ( laptops, desktops) except the phone and the tablet. And if Apple on september believe that bigger screen will solve the runaway from iPhone, they are wrong. Samsung is coming in September with Galaxy Note 4 , which will completely kill the iPhone 6 if doesn't bring the real "next big thing"!
    Samsung sucks the big one who wants to have a phone were the updates are 2years or more behind and a crappy plastic phone to boot ! Iam sticking with Apple for a Quality dependable product not because Samsung can sell a mother load of plastic crap!

Agree 100%. Had a 3GS, 4, 4S and 5 up to last week- 5 years now of iPhone use jailbroken and not. My 5 started randomly rebooting and not charging etc. so went out and got a Galaxy S5.

Let me tell you, Android has come a LONG way from only 3 years ago even. The Galaxy S5 is smooth and does everything the iPhone does plus some. The screen is just gorgeous if people haven't seen it in person; and huge when using it and then turning on the iphone again. The iphone looks like a postage stamp (like the original iphone made the old Blackberries and Palm devices look in 2007). Waterproof is great, hope to never have to test it out although all tests say its ridiculously good.

Battery life is awesome on the Galaxy. My iphone would be getting low by about 6-7pm and at 1am my Galaxy S5 is still at 40-60%. Huge difference in battery life too. Device is quite big and takes a day or 2 to adjust to, but not crazy big.

I see a lot of people tired of waiting on Apple, and more on the software side than hardware. Big screen is important to some current iPhone users, but I would bet a bigger percent want OS changes. File system, attach files and docs to email- those types of control over their devices.

After using both, for business and personal, I am not sure how I would go back to a non-jailbroken iPhone for business use. Can't even attach a document to an email without all kinds of convoluted shortcuts going through other apps etc. All of the apps I use are also on Android now so didn't miss a step.

Very happy with the switch after some nervousness after being on iPhone so long and using an Android device back in the day (LG G2) which wasnt the best experience (slow, buggy, crashed etc)

On the topic, i dont see how 1/3 of smartphone buyers are getting an iphone before the 6 would come out. The number just dont make sense as Android currently holds 52% and iPhone 41.5% Where do they get 33% from?

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,284 Times in 3,850 Posts

There is no runaway from iphone. Apple doubles it's sales each year since 2007.
    I agree that they should have made larger iPhones earlier.

Anyway. I will wait for sure. I buy a new iPhone each 2 years, never a s-version. So iPhone 6 will be my next.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Samsung sucks the big one who wants to have a phone were the updates are 2years or more behind and a crappy plastic phone to boot ! Iam sticking with Apple for a Quality dependable product not because Samsung can sell a mother load of plastic crap!
    Scientific view

Ive had all of the iPhone models since the 3GS back in the day and there is nothing wrong with the new Samsung build quality, nor software updates. You are living in the 2009-2012 hating days.

Kitkat was only announced October 31, 2013 and made it onto even older devices like the Galaxy S4 in April 2014; doesn't sound like 2 years to me.

Sure, Apple updates the same day it is released for all devices (up to 1 year old really that are fully supported and not feature stripped). Look at the "updates" though that are not yearly; minor bug, security and visual fixes up to 7.1.1. Apple only does a major OS release once a year just as Google does.

The days of Samsung (Android devices) being behind 1-2 years in updates is a thing of the past really.

Quality non-plastic like the 5C right?

Well i've been and still am, a long time apple fan. Been on this site since its very early days and have been using since original iphone when jailbreaks were command like based (jailbreak.bat days lol).
    I've never really liked Android, have come across it on occasions and about 2 years ago used a google nexus for a few days and to be honest the novelty weared off after a few days. It had its these little annoying things that the iphone just did better.

I currently own a iphone 5. Had bought a 5S when it came out but ended up returning it as i saw no real benefit other than the touchID. So about a month ago, i got my a hand on a Nexus 5 that i got from my carrier.

I've been using it on and off every other day as a daily phone by switching my sim card from the iphone and let me tell you something.. I AM LOVIN IT!! First off, i find the Nexus 5 a beautiful device. Some might say that its plastic body is cheap etc. While iphone 5 has a slight sturdier feel, i love how the nexus 5 looks. Its really slim, feels extremely light for its size, it has none of the gimmicks of Samsung type phones. It looks more sexy than an iphone 5 to me to be honest and i love Apple phones..

Android 4.4.2 has come a LONG way from the days of first nexus days. Dare i say it, Kitkat 4.4.2 looks and feels more like IOS. Perhaps thats the reason im loving Android even more. I can easily switch between my phones and they are both as intuitive to use.
    I have the same 100 or so apps on both phones and the experience is almost same as far as the GUI is concerned.

Now, While iphone IOS might be more advanced in the sense that it offers better icloud backup features and its notification center has evolved greatly, the iphone still has many limitations preventing the users what they want.

While the Nexus 5 is missing lockscreen notifications on its own, there are several add on apps that enable that, more or like the iphone.
    Iphone's Control Center is really great but again a simple mod on the nexus 5 enabled notificaiton center on lockscreen along with toggles.

Other than those two missing features on stock Android, i think Android is indeed a lot better to use at its current Vanilla version straight from Google. I am loving the fact that the other day, i noticed something about the keyboard and i was like man i wish it could be different and a day later it just hit me, Android let me replace the system keyboard if i want.

Obviously i've also rooted the phone so that i make customizations to my heart's content while not having to worry about that the next Android update is going to make my unrootable!
    I found the headphone the volume to be on the very low side even at max, No problem simply go in the file system and modify the system file controlling the headphone volume and Voila, all done..

Not to mention the hardware specs, cpu and a nice size screen. While im not a fan of big phones, i think 4.7-4.95 is a perfect screen size.
    Anyways enough talking, I'll let other iphone owners bash me now.

Same here and I am not backing off either!!!

Lots of iphone users are switching to android and in particular the Galaxy S 5. I did and im so happy!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am not waiting for a phone Apple conveniently forget to put certain features so they can save it for the S model...
    Need larger screen, am sick of iPhone tiny screens.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think I could ever go to an android, I like iOS too much... That being said, both the Nexus 5 and the Galaxy S5 are beautiful phones. They are truly "flagship" phones for android. I just don't like the OS as much as the simplicity of iOS. Plus, the stability of iOS can't be argued. I think if I were to stop buying iPhones for some reason, I'd go with a blackberry modded to run android apps.

My next phone will not be a iPhone, I've been a iPhone user since 2008, I'm now fed up of apple gay bs

Thanks

Many Android users I speak with tell me that the only reason they are on Android, is that they have larger screens. Many love the more stable iOS over Android but hate the lack of real estate for screen space. Can't wait to see the statistic that shows how many come back to iOS from Android when the new iPhones drop this year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully they will have two sizes of iPhone instead of one huge "phablet". I think 4.5-4.7 inch is the biggest phone I could handle. To be honest, I like the 4 inch display now. I would laugh so hard if they just keep making the 4 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Many Android users I speak with tell me that the only reason they are on Android, is that they have larger screens. Many love the more stable iOS over Android but hate the lack of real estate for screen space. Can't wait to see the statistic that shows how many come back to iOS from Android when the new iPhones drop this year.
    Statistic are always so inaccurate or depend on who's doing it. iPhone has a slick design and good structure , solid, Samsung not so much solid but is slick and good performances. But the freedom of the Android makes a big difference. I hope that Apple will get back with a larger screen with a better resolution and a much flexible IOS. If not I am going from S5 to the new Note 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    Hopefully they will have two sizes of iPhone instead of one huge "phablet". I think 4.5-4.7 inch is the biggest phone I could handle. To be honest, I like the 4 inch display now. I would laugh so hard if they just keep making the 4 inch.
    Lol. Everything is still a rumor until it's launched officially. It would be nuts if they push out another 4inch phone. After all the leaks and hype. Can't wait to see what else they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Statistic are always so inaccurate or depend on who's doing it. iPhone has a slick design and good structure , solid, Samsung not so much solid but is slick and good performances. But the freedom of the Android makes a big difference. I hope that Apple will get back with a larger screen with a better resolution and a much flexible IOS. If not I am going from S5 to the new Note 4.
    I hear u on that. The screen on the s5 is great. Also the customizing makes me wanna jump ship as well. But something keeps me staying with apple time and time again.

I don't think it's only the customizing that makes Android appealing going forward. Apple can increase the screen size which will of course appeal to a good majority of iphone users who are kids and "soccer mom" types- use their phone for games and basic apps and not really business use.

Apple is going to have a hard time with business users going forward though; and not because of hardware. The OS needs to catch up. You cannot do simple things like attach a file (not a picture) to an email. Sure, you can go into the office app and email from there but then you are not replying to the chain of emails already in progress breaking workflow. I can now hit reply as needed and attach a file at will, any type of file, type the email and send all without some convoluted way of switching apps 4 times to get the attachment into the email

Notifications have gotten better but you still need to leave what you are doing to act on those notifications. For example, I can reply to an email or text in the notifications on Android without leaving what I am doing and breaking work flow.

I think more so than the hardware, which has always been good from Apple, the OS is still very basic in presentation to the user despite being powerful. I think this prevents a lot of users from using Apple products more than anything.

I just switched to Android due to a dead iphone 5 and surprisingly am quite happy with Android. 99% of the apps are there and barely lost a step after a day or 2 of getting used to.

But yes, I think a lot of people are slowly getting impatient with Apple and the OS as it has progressed very slowly over the past few years (barely changed visually- and no, recoloring the OS and fonts doesnt change the visuals of the OS) while other OSes made leaps. iOS8 doesnt look to be much different from iOS7 or added functionality from the leaks so far.
    Last edited by stulaw11; 2014-05-23 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    I don't think it's only the customizing that makes Android appealing going forward. Apple can increase the screen size which will of course appeal to a good majority of iphone users who are kids and "soccer mom" types- use their phone for games and basic apps and not really business use.

Apple is going to have a hard time with business users going forward though; and not because of hardware. The OS needs to catch up. You cannot do simple things like attach a file (not a picture) to an email. Sure, you can go into the office app and email from there but then you are not replying to the chain of emails already in progress breaking workflow. I can now hit reply as needed and attach a file at will, any type of file, type the email and send all without some convoluted way of switching apps 4 times to get the attachment into the email

Notifications have gotten better but you still need to leave what you are doing to act on those notifications. For example, I can reply to an email or text in the notifications on Android without leaving what I am doing and breaking work flow.

I think more so than the hardware, which has always been good from Apple, the OS is still very basic in presentation to the user despite being powerful. I think this prevents a lot of users from using Apple products more than anything.

I just switched to Android due to a dead iphone 5 and surprisingly am quite happy with Android. 99% of the apps are there and barely lost a step after a day or 2 of getting used to.

But yes, I think a lot of people are slowly getting impatient with Apple and the OS as it has progressed very slowly over the past few years (barely changed visually- and no, recoloring the OS and fonts doesnt change the visuals of the OS) while other OSes made leaps. iOS8 doesnt look to be much different from iOS7 or added functionality from the leaks so far.
    Yea the attaching files is a downside. The apps seem to be a little more polished then on android. But other then that apple does need to do some catching. The new htc does look really nice tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast