Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'YouTuber' is a Free Extension for YouTube for Downloading Videos, Blocking Ads, & More

Default 'YouTuber' is a Free Extension for YouTube for Downloading Videos, Blocking Ads, & More

Just earlier today, we showed you a new jailbreak tweak called InTube, which allowed you to download videos from the YouTube application and import them to your iOS device's media library for offline viewing.

On the other hand, if your funds are running low and you don't mind sacrificing a little bit of interface quality to bring the price down, then a new free jailbreak tweak called YouTuber by iOS developer Majd Alfhaily is now available in Cydia's BigBoss repository that will allow you download videos from YouTube, import them to your iOS device's media library, and more.

As shown above, YouTuber will add a new download button to the YouTube video preferences, that, when tapped, will trip a selection menu that will allow you to pick a video quality to download the video in. You can choose between high, medium, or low quality (note, some videos are not available in high quality), and when you tap on an option, your video will begin downloading. As your video downloads, a bar that says "downloading video" will appear at the top of the display and a black highlight will indicate the download progress as the video downloads.

Once downloaded, you will get an interface that asks you what you want to do with the video. You can leave it be, or you can tap on the "Import" button to import the video to your Camera Roll:

If you import it, you will be able to visit your Camera Roll and play the YouTube video that you just downloaded:

One quick note is that YouTuber actually does a lot more than InTube does, and brings a lot of functionality from popular tweaks like YourTube and ProTube with it. For example, the tweak will block YouTube ads, allow you to stream high quality video on your cellular network, and enable playback of YouTube content while the application is running in the background. All of these options can be enabled or disabled, one by one, from the tweak's preferences pane, which is added to the Settings application:

As we noted earlier, yes the tweak is free, but you do get what you pay for in terms of interface quality. It doesn't seem very polished, but on the other hand, the tweak comes with a huge amount of features that YouTube users are sure to enjoy, and it's easily a tweak that the developer could have asked at least 99 for, so it's nice to see him offering it for free.

YouTuber requires iOS 7 and the YouTube application from the App Store must be installed. The tweak works with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. If you would like to give YouTuber a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak is open source and you can view the source code on Github at this link.

Name: YouTuber
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.6, YouTube
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Majd Alfhaily
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

juandairiarteomr (2014-07-29)

Did protube die out already?

Quote Originally Posted by LaddersRCool View Post
    Did protube die out already?
    Alas, it did a while back. The extension that is. Basically, Jonas was forced to update/rewrite the tweak every time Google decided to push an update to the Youtube app- and understandably, he couldn't keep up with the demand.

People who bought Protube Extension now can get the Protube app itself, both iPhone and iPad versions, for free, but I prefer the integration with Google's app. Protube does its job well, but its interface hasn't been updated for iOS 7 and it's a bit unwieldy compared to the native app, because it uses the mobile web interface.

So this new "YouTuber" is quite a big deal- I wonder if it will be subject to the same curse that Protube Extension was...

Thanks, though is there an iOS 6 version of this? This is another tweak that makes no sense to be limited to iOS 7. This is especially troublesome now that Protube Extension is no longer being maintained.

tried running this on 7.1.2 which it doesn't seem to run on yet as it has not been updated as of today. was really hoping it would work. on my i5 i am still on ios 6 as i use yourtube which does still work but you have to run an old as hell version of youtube because cocoanuts are so god damn slow to release tweaks/updates. i understand why though, being students and all not having enough time i guess which i dont mind too badly as when they do release their apps are pretty much rock solid. back to point. it (youtuber) doesn't seem to run on 7.1.2 but i have a question for anyone running it. does it have a downloads tab anywhere? or do you get the option to dismiss or import to camera roll only? i like the downloads tab in yourtube i leave most things i download in there so i dont clog up my videos apps with crepe. or is it watch it now in the pop up dismiss and never see again until you download again or import? or can i track down the file in iFile under documents or similar?