Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'SwitchData' Switches You Between Cellular and Wi-Fi Depending On Your Cellular Signal

Default 'SwitchData' Switches You Between Cellular and Wi-Fi Depending On Your Cellular Signal

At times, your cellular signal is good, and sometimes it's even poor. With modern iOS devices having 4G LTE radios built into them nowadays, many iOS device users with good cellular signal can take advantage of the lightning fast data speeds that are sometimes even faster than some of our home Wi-Fi networks. Unfortunately, when your signal strength gets lower, your data speeds are impacted, and you might as well be back on your Wi-Fi network for the optimal performance.

A new free jailbreak tweak dubbed SwitchData by iOS developer switchpwn aims to make this process a little more automatic for iOS device users. Depending on the strength of your cellular data signal, the tweak will automatically switch you between cellular and Wi-Fi Internet connections.

The tweak adds a preferences pane to your Settings application where you can enable and disable the tweak on demand, as well as configure a minimum cellular data signal strength (each number refers to the number of signal bars that you have in your Status Bar):

After setting your minimum cellular data strength, and enabling the tweak (you might have to disable it and enable it again for it to take effect), the tweak will begin doing its job.

For example, if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network and you have set the minimum cellular signal strength to 2 and your cellular signal strength is 2 or greater, then it will disable the Wi-Fi radio and enable the cellular radio. Conversely, if you are connected to a cellular data network and you set the minimum cellular signal strength to 2 and your cellular signal strength is 1, then it will disable the cellular radio and enable your Wi-Fi radio.

This is a really interesting way to make sure you get the best cellular performance that you can, as well as save battery by disabling unnecessary radios when you don't need them. If you would like to give SwitchData a try, it's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: SwitchData
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1-2
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.6, cellular-capable device
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: switchpwn
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

yorrick (2014-04-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Wow, cool tweak. I'm in.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

If I had an iPhone instead of an iPod touch, I'd get this for sure.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh. If it would compare actual data rates between the two, and btw track how close to your monthly data cap you are...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (2014-04-25)

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Meh. If it would compare actual data rates between the two, and btw track how close to your monthly data cap you are...
    I don't think this is possible as it would require having both antennas receiving data at the same time. I could be wrong though and would be interested in knowing this as well.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

I would rather use the slower wifi and conserve my data yessir.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuff Said For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (2014-04-25)