Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bug in iOS 7 Allows Users to Bypass Activation Lock and Disable Find My iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

yelp

The author of this article just managed to aid the masses of crooked thieves stealing peoples phones. Well done. If you wanted to help you should have just told us there was a bug and left the details out on how to steal an iphone and bypass our security. Just saying Thanks! Your action is worse than a thief stealing a phone in the first place, you just helped hundreds of them do it. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vanabout View Post
    ..., information is power - now the thieves have it !!!
    Obviously someone already had it, and now we do too.
    Its ludicrous to think that only one person in the whole universe would have discovered this.

An honest person would share the information to ensure that people knew.
    Thieves would hide this information because its a money maker.

How else would you protect yourself from a threat you never knew existed?

Short story:

Found a used iPhone online for my girlfriend, to tide her over until the next release. Met seller for exchange. Soon realized the model wasn't as advertised. 4S was actually a 4. Contacted seller. Seemed apologetic. Made plans to meet the following day. Didn't happen. Things went further downhill from there.

The phone was also still Activation Locked. Against my better judgement, I failed to confirm it wasn't when making the exchange. I've tried contacting the seller, but haven't received a reply. I've managed to reach the home screen (via a youtube instruction) of the device, in hopes of getting into the FaceTime app and finding the iCloud registered email of the previous owner. Sent that owner an email. Went unanswered.

Meanwhile, the phone has sat here for weeks. Bricked. As I've been busy with work, I've yet to setup another "appointment" with the seller, in which things are expected not to go in their favor.

The latest news of this bug doesn't seem to do me well as I cannot even open the settings app to begin the method given.

Iíve been posting here for years. My personal info is readily available. I'm not a thief. Ironically enough, Iím trying to combat the result of being taken by one.

BTW, any information that leads to getting this issue resolved would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead12 View Post
    The author of this article just managed to aid the masses of crooked thieves stealing peoples phones. Well done. If you wanted to help you should have just told us there was a bug and left the details out on how to steal an iphone and bypass our security. Just saying Thanks! Your action is worse than a thief stealing a phone in the first place, you just helped hundreds of them do it. Thumbs up
    "Obnoxious Comment"

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by severe View Post
    Short story:

Found a used iPhone online for my girlfriend, to tide her over until the next release. Met seller for exchange. Soon realized the model wasn't as advertised. 4S was actually a 4. Contacted seller. Seemed apologetic. Made plans to meet the following day. Didn't happen. Things went further downhill from there.

The phone was also still Activation Locked. Against my better judgement, I failed to confirm it wasn't when making the exchange. I've tried contacting the seller, but haven't received a reply. I've managed to reach the home screen (via a youtube instruction) of the device, in hopes of getting into the FaceTime app and finding the iCloud registered email of the previous owner. Sent that owner an email. Went unanswered.

Meanwhile, the phone has sat here for weeks. Bricked. As I've been busy with work, I've yet to setup another "appointment" with the seller, in which things are expected not to go in their favor.

The latest news of this bug doesn't seem to do me well as I cannot even open the settings app to begin the method given.

Iíve been posting here for years. My personal info is readily available. I'm not a thief. Ironically enough, Iím trying to combat the result of being taken by one.

BTW, any information that leads to getting this issue resolved would be appreciated.
    I know it's not exactly a great solution for you, but have you thought about contacting the police? If it really is stolen they would probably be able to find the original owner and get it to him/her.

Also, if you have the name and contact number of the thief, there could possibly be an arrest, and sometimes there's even rewards for tips leading to arrest (or from the owner of the phone.)

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Short story:

Damn that blows. I ran into a situation once where I bought a phone from craigslist. I met the guy at his house outside. Called verizon to make sure the phone could be activated they said yes. This was at 6pm eastern time. Went home went to bed then called verizon in the morning. To activate the phone low and behold the esn came up dirty as in stolen. Called the dude back and drove to his house got the money back. Long story short if your gonna buy used or even new phones at a good price. Stick to eBay at least u as the buyer are protected. Some of the deals on craigslist seem great but turn into ****. Even if they have the box and everything that came with the phone....

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    I know it's not exactly a great solution for you...
    Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Damn that blows...
    Thanks, guys. I blame myself. Dishonesty, my lack of good judgement, and Apple's policy were the planets that sort of aligned against me, so to speak.

"Activation Lock is great, but also introduces new problems. In addition to iPhone and iPad being victimized by theft, these thieves will now sell those devices in their bricked state to users too naive to check for Activation Lock before handing over the money. Yes, theft will go down. But some thefts will now have two victims instead of one." -Why iOS 7’s Activation Lock Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen

I have contacted the police, but was directed to some website that deals with internet type fraud. Wasn't much help at all. However, I do still have the phone number of the seller and a bit more info. Believe it or not, they're still selling phones online.

As mentioned, I'd planned on "catching up with them" again. Just meanwhile, I was hoping to have something to give the girlfriend for now.
    Last edited by severe; 2014-04-06 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks, guys. I blame myself. Dishonesty, my lack of good judgement, and Apple's policy were the planets that sort of aligned against me, so to speak.

"Activation Lock is great, but also introduces new problems. In addition to iPhone and iPad being victimized by theft, these thieves will now sell those devices in their bricked state to users too naive to check for Activation Lock before handing over the money. Yes, theft will go down. But some thefts will now have two victims instead of one." -Why iOS 7ís Activation Lock Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen

I have contacted the police, but was directed to some website that deals with internet type fraud. Wasn't much help at all. However, I do still have the phone number of the seller and a bit more info. Believe it or not, they're still selling phones online.

As mentioned, I'd planned on "catching up with them" again. Just meanwhile, I was hoping to have something to give the girlfriend for now.
    If they are still selling phones. Setup something up to buy another one and pose as someone else and bing. U have a face to face with the seller. Just meet in a mall or well lit area durning the day.

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead12 View Post
    You are right of course Mr Bonehead.👍👍 MMI is probably the only website on earth where this information is available and therefore the first and last port of call for masses of iPhone thieves.Thanks for the warning my sage friend.👍 The actions of everyone involved in putting up this news item are much worse than any low down scummy theft. The posting of such stories should be declared a major crime. We should jail the offenders alongside murderers, rapists, and thieves. 👍👍👍

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    If they are still selling phones. Setup something up to buy another one and pose as someone else and bing. U have a face to face with the seller. Just meet in a mall or well lit area durning the day.
    That's a great idea.

I want to know , What if someone forgot the apple id? Is there any way to bypass iCloud activation? if not then there is any way around to use that iPhone? or it will be garbage.

sorry for my English.

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malikhussain View Post
    I want to know , What if someone forgot the apple id? Is there any way to bypass iCloud activation? if not then there is any way around to use that iPhone? or it will be garbage.

sorry for my English.
    There is no way for a user to get in. There MAY be a way that Apple reserves for use in case the device is needed in a police investigation, but then only they could do it.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by malikhussain View Post

sorry for my English.
    You would need to provide proof of purchase of the device and take it into apple to have them unlock it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    You would need to provide proof of purchase of the device and take it into apple to have them unlock it.
    not really no receipt just not stolen I walked in the apple store with out one and a broken 5's gave me a new one one the spot. https://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/834892-iphone-5s-imei-check.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmds187 View Post
    not really no receipt just not stolen I walked in the apple store with out one and a broken 5's gave me a new one one the spot. https://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/834892-iphone-5s-imei-check.html
    That means it wasn't activation locked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12