Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple appears to be Cracking Down on Personal Hotspot Abuse with iOS 7.1

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple appears to be Cracking Down on Personal Hotspot Abuse with iOS 7.1

Those of you iPhones and have previously made use of the Personal Hotspot feature on wireless networks that don’t support it are now out of luck. After changes in iOS 7.1, Apple has disabled the ability to manually edit tethering settings for unauthorized carriers.

Several unhappy users seem to have taken to Apple’s support forums to complain about the issue in a recent thread. Users from the US, UK, the Netherlands, Estonia, Italy and Sweden among many others have all chimed in to say that their tethering ability was immediately deactivated upon upgrading to the latest revision of Apple’s mobile operating system.

Based on the reports, any changes made to the APN settings for Personal Hotspot aren’t saved once the user backs out of the Settings app. The problem was spotted in every iOS 7-compatible iPhone generation including the current iPhone 5S and was initially blamed on a software glitch. Subsequent testing and conversations between forum users and Apple support agents have narrowed the issue down to a lack of carrier authorization. Users with carriers that support Personal Hotspot have reported a smooth experience, while those who previously experienced the issue and then swapped their SIM card with one from an authorized carrier have seen the problem disappear.

Some users whose carrier does allow tethering but doesn’t have a current partner agreement with Apple may have been inadvertently affected by the changes. Most however, appear to have been abusing the function enable Personal Hotspot without paying additional fees for it.

Unauthorized tethering has been a source of friction between iPhone users and wireless service providers since the first day. After Apple’s deal with AT&T secured flat-rate unlimited data plans for buyers of the first-gen iPhone, the carrier fought a cat-and-mouse battle with users of unauthorized tethering apps until officially supporting the feature three years later.

Have you been affected by this issue?

Source: Apple (Support Forum) via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Are AT&T users affected as well?
    I'm running iPhone 5S on 7.0.4 and still able to tether with no problems without paying extra for it. Seriously though, why the F**k would they charge us extra to use internet we originally are paying for?? I'm paying $140/month on a 8GB plan and I should have the right to use my data however the F**k I want. Sorry for the language but these guys are greedy @$$ bastards that want to charge us for anything extra.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jose060789 For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-03-20), LudaChris (2014-03-20), Nightwarrior305 (2014-03-20), pkmaximum (2014-03-20), PokemonDesigner (2014-03-20), twahl3583 (2014-03-20)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thumbs up Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    I'm running iPhone 5S on 7.0.4 and still able to tether with no problems without paying extra for it. Seriously though, why the F**k would they charge us extra to use internet we originally are paying for?? I'm paying $140/month on a 8GB plan and I should have the right to use my data however the F**k I want. Sorry for the language but these guys are greedy @$$ bastards that want to charge us for anything extra.
    I completely agree. This kind of practice should be made illegal. Customers paying for an internet connection should be able to use it however they like, without being scrutinized and charged extra by greedy companies. Apple should be ashamed for supporting this kind of behaviour!
    Last edited by DuRoLuRo; 2014-03-20 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Typo's

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuRoLuRo For This Useful Post:

LudaChris (2014-03-20), PokemonDesigner (2014-03-20)

Most likely not since AT&T supports Tethering. It's more for people with unlocked phones and using non-name brand carriers. They are using this, most likely, to try and kill unlocking. But I have to agree, it is f****** ridiculous that those b*****ds can get away with charging us extra for more f****** internet. This is why I despise AT&T and somewhat verizon. But if **** like that Net Neutrality **** gets passed then it'll be even worse. We will have to pay for sections of the legitimate internet. You want Facebook, well you'll have to buy the social package so you can actually get to it. Oh you'd like to watch YouTube, buy this media package to get it. This is the greedy a** j** companies getting too d*** big.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PokemonDesigner For This Useful Post:

Aenima133 (2014-03-21)

I haven't been affected as I could care less about mobile data in any form.

Apple will only be doing what the networks want! And whether people like it or not if your contract does not allow teathering then you are breaking your contract by using it! However it's time networks allowed people to do what they want with the data they pay for! After all surely if some one uses all their data then the network will make more money?

Don't see why people would pay extra if u have a data plan. That has let's say 10gb shouldn't it come out of there. Why make people pay a fee on top of that.

Wait......does tetherme still works?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    They are greedy? They are selling a product that has a finite amount of bandwidth. It is no different than any other company charging for their product accordingly. Your plan most likely includes tethering so why are you upset? If someone signs up for and pays for a plan they know does not include tethering then they sound like an entitled little baby for complaining they can't tether. Without tethering, you are paying for the internet on THAT device, not 6 other devices attached to that.

Thanks

This is about iOS 7.1. I have an iPhone 5 on 7.0.6 and tether me still works fine with my AT&T unlimited data plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's in Apple's best interests to honor their commitments to carriers to block unauthorized uses of carrier networks through reasonable software restrictions.

It's actually in our best interests as well - it encourages us to support carriers that aren't as restrictive and greedy, ones that aren't nickel and diming for every feature like tethering. It sucks that some markets don't have viable alternatives, but at least in the US, there are viable alternative carriers.

I think this is probably aimed more towards people that have pre-paid services. Look around and there are dozens of smaller carriers that offer unlimited plans cheaper than on contract services. If this effected carriers like AT&T/Verizon I really wouldn't be surprised though.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

The simple answer is if you don't like their rules, don't sign the contract with them that says you agree to the terms.

Abuse personal hotspot? How is using the internet you're paying for abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    Wait......does tetherme still works?
    Good question...can someone please test

Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    Good question...can someone please test
    Nevermind just occured to me 7.1 users cannot test tetherme

You all need to move to the uk then you can play with your hot spots it's all to do with the Micky mouse net works in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by bigscrb15 View Post
    They are greedy? They are selling a product that has a finite amount of bandwidth. It is no different than any other company charging for their product accordingly. Your plan most likely includes tethering so why are you upset? If someone signs up for and pays for a plan they know does not include tethering then they sound like an entitled little baby for complaining they can't tether. Without tethering, you are paying for the internet on THAT device, not 6 other devices attached to that.

Yes, they are greedy.

They have an amount of DATA that has been paid for already. You seem to confuse bandwidth with data caps, you cannot exceed your allotted bandwidth simply by putting/using more devices on the line, the most you are going to do is run into your data cap faster and I would argue that doesn't happen via tethering because when you tether you are just trading surfing on your phone for another device. Do you also pay twice for your gas because you happen to need to use some for a lawnmower vs. your car? You're defending corporate greed while talking about entitlement....for an amount of data and bandwidth that was already paid for...good one Gump.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    The simple answer is if you don't like their rules, don't sign the contract with them that says you agree to the terms.
    Simple answers come from simple minds. I pay for unlimited data currently. If I USE tethering at all they auto switch my plan out of the grandfathered unlimited to a data capped plan which I DID NOT SIGN AN AGREEMENT FOR. Please, keep your simple stuff in your simple head!!!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekwiz For This Useful Post:

Aenima133 (2014-03-21), djaquapimp (2014-03-21), slim.jim (2014-03-20)

Great news. I don't understand why people feel so entitled when it comes to their phones.

"I demand to torrent 2TB a month on my phone because I have an unlimited plan! I have a right to hog up all the bandwidth and that's too bad for other people!"

"I demand to have free tethering despite the fact I signed on a contract that specifically excludes it!"

I believe anything over 5GB allows you to use the tether feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast