Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Air Force to Deploy 5,000 iOS Devices to Replace BlackBerrys

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default US Air Force to Deploy 5,000 iOS Devices to Replace BlackBerrys

The US Air Force announced earlier in February that it will be swapping out roughly 5,000 BlackBerry devices for Apple’s iPhone and iPad. The move is a first step in the eventual retirement of all BlackBerry products carried by USAF personnel. The initial Air Force push involves the activation of a mix of iPhones and iPads, while further BlackBerry device replacement will consist of products made by Apple and other approved manufacturers according to The Air Force Times. Brig. Gen. Kevin Wooton, communications director for Air Force Space Command said the following regarding the matter:

In order to keep costs down and save on network resources, BlackBerrys will be turned in and shut off once the user is transitioned to an iOS device.
    Although it’s unclear if the incoming hardware falls within mobile device management protocols outlined by the Defense Information Systems Agency, the publication said DISA will likely play some role in managing the Air Force devices. In response to the news, BlackBerry issued a statement to CrackBerry, touting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server as the most secure platform in the world. An excerpt from BlackBerry’s statement mentioned the following:

There is a clear reason why BlackBerry has more government certifications than any other vendor, and the only enterprise mobility management vendor and handset maker to receive the Department of Defense "Authority to Operate" certification. Security is built into everything we do, and we've been doing it longer and better than anyone else.

We've been a trusted partner to government agencies for more than a decade, and have more than 80,000 BlackBerry devices in DISA alone. Our competitors have not been tested in the field or subjected to the long term rigors of high stress applications, making their security model difficult to trust. BlackBerry remains the best option for governments around the world.
    The Air Force has required personnel who provision a BlackBerry product to retrieve a waiver from AFSPC unit A6 according to Wooten since January 1. The military arm is apparently pushing hard for a system-wide replacement.

The Cupertino California company has vastly expanded its hardware presence in vetted US military applications. In March of 2012, the Air Force Air Mobility Command awarded a $9.36 million contract to a specialized computer services company for the purchase of up to 18,000 iPads. The Apple tablets are used as electronic flight bags and will save the military branch an estimated $50 million in fuel costs and document reprinting.

Source: The Air Force Times, CrackBerry

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd love to get my hands on a MIL-STD Apple Device, I had a MIL-STD fluke multimeter, it could be dropped 5 stories and keep working.

We'll see how this goes.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Blackberry's response sounds like a pathetic break-up email. "I've done so much for you and this is how you treat me? That tramp will never be as good to you as I am!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sorry to see BlackBerry go, they have been making smartphones pretty much longer than anyone, but, change is inevitable. And their own touch screen devices, while cool looking and high quality, could not gain any ground in an Android/iOS dominated world.

It still boggles my mind to hear that government employees are using BB devices lol! I literally haven't seen one around for a long time, and I'm on a college campus for 12+ hrs a day! I'm sure the employees are happy to get new smartphones!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnutt View Post
    I am sorry to see BlackBerry go, they have been making smartphones pretty much longer than anyone, but, change is inevitable. And their own touch screen devices, while cool looking and high quality, could not gain any ground in an Android/iOS dominated world.
    It's all their fault. BB could have been bigger than both iOS and Android since they had such a big foothold in the market in the beginning. But they had grown fat and arrogant on their success and thought their security and BBM alone would hold their place in the market. They also though physical keyboards would never be displaced by touchscreen keyboards. They miscalculated badly and have now suffered for it.

iPhones were always the most fly.