Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fitbit Recalls Wrist-Worn Force Fitness Tracker Due to Allergic Reactions

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fitbit Recalls Wrist-Worn Force Fitness Tracker Due to Allergic Reactions

Apparent skin irritation issues have forced Fitbit to cease sales of its wrist-worn, iPhone-compatible, Force. The issues were so bad the company ended up recalling units of the fitness tracker that are already on the market. The official Fitbit Force recall notice was posted by the company on its website this week, in which CEO James Park formally apologized to anyone affected by the apparent issues. He revealed that 1.7% of Force users have reported skin irritation from using the device and test results show that those people are likely experiencing allergic contact dermatitis. Park wrote the following regarding the matter:

All Force materials are commonly used in consumer products. However, some users may be reacting to the nickel present in the surgical grade stainless steel used in the device. Other users are likely experiencing an allergic reaction to the materials used in the strap or the adhesives used to assemble the product.
    Sales of the Force have been halted and a voluntary recall is now underway for the product. Park explained that while some users have seen allergic reactions, independent tests have not found any issues with the device’s battery or electrical systems. Users seeking more information can visit the official recall page, or call 888-656-6381.

The CEO also promised that Fitbit is working on a next-generation tracker that will presumably take the place of the now-available Force. Though no official details were given, the CEO said his company will share details “soon.”

Did any of you run into these issues?

Source: Fitbit (Letter) (Refund)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I own one. It has serious band design flaws unfortunately. It gets caught on everything and it falls off. I have not had the skin reaction that others have had so I want to keep mine, but the promises of call notifications that are not delivered are weighing on my decision to return it for this recall. I know I'm not alone on this and most would probably keep theirs if they only released the firmware update that they so publicly demonstrated. Other than that, it does no more than my Jawbone Up does so it looks like it's back to that in the near future if they don't.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Made in China with recycled, unknown materials.

Quote Originally Posted by smittyjf View Post
    I own one. It has serious band design flaws unfortunately. It gets caught on everything and it falls off.
    I have the same complaint with mine. It definitely is a very poorly designed band (I imagine they thought they were being stylish and clever). To keep it from falling off, it needs to be tight as possible (and even that is no guarantee once you push your arm through the sleeve of a sweater or jacket) which then makes it uncomfortable to sleep in; which is sort of half the point of the thing. I probably will take advantage of this recall; and keep my eye out for the new version, hopefully with a better band.