Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Snapchat Vulnerability Leaves iPhones Open to Denial-of-Service Attacks

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Snapchat Vulnerability Leaves iPhones Open to Denial-of-Service Attacks

According to cyber security researcher Jamie Sanchez, a vulnerability in the Snapchat app opens the iPhone up to denial-of-service attacks that can cause the device to freeze and crash. The vulnerability can allow a hacker to send thousands of messages to a Snapchat user in seconds, which can cause a crash that requires a hard reset to fix. Tokens generated by the app used to verify user identity can be reused by hackers to send the flood of messages. Sanchez mentioned the following regarding the matter:

By reusing old tokens, hackers can send massive amounts of messages using powerful computers. This method could be used by spammers to send messages in mass quantities to numerous users, or it could be used to launch a cyber attack on specific individuals.
    Sanchez even demonstrated the flaw for The Los Angeles Times, sending a reporter 1,000 messages within five seconds in a denial-of-service attack, which caused the reporter’s iPhone to freeze until it restarted. The security researcher declined to contact Snapchat with his findings as he believes that startup “has no respect for the cyber security research community” after ignoring previous app vulnerability reports.

For those of you who didn’t know, Snapchat has faced multiple problems as its private messaging app has grown in popularity, including vulnerabilities that allowed users to bypass screenshot notifications and a recent security breach that ended up compromising the user names and phone numbers of more than 4.6 million customers, which Snapchat was warned about ahead of time by a security group.

Snapchat mentioned that it was unaware of the problem but was interested in learning more when asked about this particular vulnerability.

Source: Jamie Sanchez via The Los Angeles Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Should have sold out when they had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    Should have sold out when they had the chance.
    I agree, now that everyone knows how much snapchat is worth people are looking at it more closely. These all could've been facebook's problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (2014-02-10)

Snapchat really kind of sucks, doesn't it? I keep hearing more and more stories about vulnerabilities this and that and them not doing anything about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophxr For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (2014-02-10)

I never had a problem i set my settings on friends only and dont have my contact number on it dont add people you dont know its not that hard

Soooooo...... How does one do this? Haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Soooooo...... How does one do this? Haha
    lol