Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Apple to Stop Producing iPhone 5c This Year

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default WSJ: Apple to Stop Producing iPhone 5c This Year

Was the "low-cost" iPhone 5c an unmitigated failure? If Apple discontinues production of the low-end smartphone this year, as the WSJ reported today, perhaps Apple would be admitting as much.

Citing stiff competition from smartphone and phablet makers, all of whom are striving to get devices with larger screens into the hands of consumers, Apple will reportedly cease production of the iPhone 5c this year in order to produce larger displays on a pair of iPhones due for release this year.

Unnamed sources close to Apple were cited in Thursday's report. "The people said Apple plans an iPhone model with a screen larger than 4 inches measured diagonally, and a second version with a display bigger than 5 inches," the report reads.

The same sources confess that the forthcoming models will feature metal casings analogous to what is used on the current iPhone 5S. The plastic exterior used in the iPhone 5C will be discontinued from the iPhone lineup.

"The smaller of the two models is further along in development, and is being prepared for mass production," the WSJ reports, noting that the larger-screen version is still in preliminary development.

Source: WSJ

The rumor mill churns again. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue it, but I'm sure they'll just make some other 'budget' iPhone. If anything I'm guessing the 6s will become the new 5c. Honestly though, moving from a iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 was difficult to learn how to retype. I can't imagine anything bigger. Soon well all just be carrying around iPad micro-minis as iPhones.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

Gee, who would have thought the cheap plastic knockoff wouldn't meet sales expectations.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrainSmashR View Post
    Gee, who would have thought the cheap plastic knockoff wouldn't meet sales expectations.
    They all were plastic at one time and sold just fine. Maybe you'll recall the iPhone 3 and 3S? All plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsquaredson View Post
    Soon well all just be carrying around iPad micro-minis as iPhones.
    Hmmmmm. An iPad Micro-Mini with phone capabilities... I like the sound of that! I wonder if Apple is working on this idea yet?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (2014-01-28)

Thanks

Just make the 6s with all the colors and none of the plastics :]

Quote Originally Posted by BrainSmashR View Post
    Trouble is its not cheap enough off contract to make a dent in Android. I wanted to get my son a PAYG smartphone 169 for Moto G or 469 for a 16GB iPhone 5C, he got the Moto G which is great value for the money and runs all the lastest apps

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

They need to have 2 phones that make sense. IE; iPhone 6 which comes in white and black. And the iPhone 6 Pro, which comes only in aluminum/silver. Same material as the other Pro products. Specs are obviously better on the Pro. Change the S into a Pro line. Drop the rainbow colorful plastic garbage.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Whenever the iPhone was just plastic that was fine but the mistake they made was going to metal casings because that's what people expect now. So now you have more and more people buying iPhones. First time buyers. Think about it hhhhhmmm the plastic iPhone or the metal iPhone? It's really a no brainer...doesn't matter if it's actually better or not. Appearance can be everything. 5c is probably a good phone. My 5 works great tho.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (2014-01-28)

iPhone? More like MyPhone BrainSmashR's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    They all were plastic at one time and sold just fine. Maybe you'll recall the iPhone 3 and 3S? All plastic.
    When that was ALL they offered, it wasn't considered "the cheap knockoff".
    Last edited by BrainSmashR; 2014-01-23 at 09:17 PM.

Its an Eye crap. Major flop. Piece of shizt.

Hopefully they learned a lesson. If it ain't broke .....🙈

I personally think the iPhone 5C is a good phone. There are people out there that like the color options and such and don't mind a phone without the latest tech. But where I think apple messed up big time with the 5C is the pricing. That should have been the entry level iPhone in terms of price maybe even a bit lower. I'm sure they would have sold triple the amount that they have. Especially outside the US.

Yeah my lady bought the white one. The feel of the phone in your hand is very nice, and feels lighter than my 5S. A lot of people speak down about it, but it's much nicer than the older plastic model iPhones. It's perfect for someone who doesn't need the fastest model or just do not like the look of the 5S

16. The Following User Says Thank You to danman2_2999 For This Useful Post:

WHUDS (2014-01-28)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post

Hmmmmm. An iPad Micro-Mini with phone capabilities... I like the sound of that! I wonder if Apple is working on this idea yet?
    Well... that was a different time all together. Touch screens had just emerged in the market (all hail Mr. Jobs) and they had to keep the price down. The tech wasn't that great then either.

iPhone 5C was Apple's worst product... even Google managed to do a way way waaayyy better job with the Nexus lineup... which includes keeping the price low as well (off-contract).. providing a larger display... great resolution and gaming performance (except the camera). If only Android could work towards keeping their OS malware free... Android would do wonders.

People want choices such as an iPhone 6 that is 4.8 inches, or an iPhone 6L that is 5.8 inches.

Samsung can dominate the plastic case phone market going forward.

Great decision by Apple to cut their losses on the 5C (5 Cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by danman2_2999 View Post
    Yeah my lady bought the white one. The feel of the phone in your hand is very nice, and feels lighter than my 5S. A lot of people speak down about it, but it's much nicer than the older plastic model iPhones. It's perfect for someone who doesn't need the fastest model or just do not like the look of the 5S
    To some its important to brag and have the best I have a 5 and a 4, the 4 is still quite a good phone, The 5c my wife has is great, she loves it, she did not want the S. I agree with others, if Apple wants a lower cost phone they need it at the 299 retail level I think.