Results 1 to 11 of 11

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 'Full Name for Messages' Makes the Messages App Show the Full Name of Your Recipient

  1. #1
    Default 'Full Name for Messages' Makes the Messages App Show the Full Name of Your Recipient


    One of the annoying default parts of iOS 7 is how the Messages application only shows you the first name of the person that you're messaging at the top of the application. It can become confusing, because if you have more than one friend with the same first name, then you'll quickly become baffled by who you're actually talking to.

    A new free jailbreak tweak called Full Name for Messages by iOS developer Dan Saba forces the iOS 7 Messages application to show the full name (first and last) at the top of the application while you're text messaging or iMessaging them, as shown above.

    There was a point in the beta stages of iOS 7 that Apple experimented with displaying only the first letter of the person's last name after the first name, but it looks like Apple finalized iOS 7 with the decision that only the first name should display. This tweak does a good job of restoring the functionality that we had in older versions of iOS, and makes it a lot easier to identify who we're actually talking to.

    If you want to give Full Name for Messages a try, it's available for free in Cydia's BigBoss repository. The tweak requires iOS 7 to be installed and has no options to configure; just install it and you're ready to go.

    Note: You can enable full names throughout iOS as a whole by disabling the "Short Names" feature under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars. This tweak only affects the Messages application, and not iOS as a whole.

    Name: Full Name for Messages
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-2
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.4
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Dan Saba
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-01-22 at 06:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Why use this? Just turn off "short names in settings.

    I have short names off & prefer nicknames on. My messages app shows the full name of a person unless they have a nickname. No need for a tweak for this...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Why use this? Just turn off "short names in settings.

    I have short names off & prefer nicknames on. My messages app shows the full name of a person unless they have a nickname. No need for a tweak for this...
    Yeah I thought the same thing for this and the tweaks that disable parallax and reduce blur. These things can be done in accessibility settings already with reduce motion and increase contrast.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    Yeah I thought the same thing for this and the tweaks that disable parallax and reduce blur. These things can be done in accessibility settings already with reduce motion and increase contrast.
    It's been pointed out that my suggestion changes how contacts are viewed "everywhere." Still, if you can figure out who's who in one app of contacts, why wouldn't you be able to do so in your messages app. I wouldn't be able to figure it out in other apps too, hence the reason I disabled short names.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    It's been pointed out that my suggestion changes how contacts are viewed "everywhere." Still, if you can figure out who's who in one app of contacts, why wouldn't you be able to do so in your messages app. I wouldn't be able to figure it out in other apps too, hence the reason I disabled short names.
    Using the Apple-implemented feature is probably better for some people.

    The tweak just gives users the ability to pick between the two; one being specifically for the Messages application, and one being for iOS system-wide.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 129 Times in 99 Posts

    This is a tweak for the super anal.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    Why use this? Just turn off "short names in settings.

    I have short names off & prefer nicknames on. My messages app shows the full name of a person unless they have a nickname. No need for a tweak for this...
    Some contacts are not showing full name
    Last edited by raxal; 2014-01-22 at 07:11 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by raxal View Post
    Some contacts are not showing full name
    With the tweak or with turning short names off?

    As I said initially, I turn on Nicknames because that's how I know certain people but if you want to ensure full names all the time, turn off short names & nicknames in your settings.

    If the Apple way doesn't work, I'd look at whether you have a tweak that's messing things up.

  9. #9
    What's J*******k? Sage I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawai'i Island
    Posts
    629
    Thanks
    836
    Thanked 169 Times in 122 Posts

    I never realized until now that the names had been shortened...

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak? RichResk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    The developer said that he didn't know this was an iOS 7 feature he when developed it, but thinks the feature is removed in 7.1

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life slim.jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    1,014
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 129 Times in 99 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by RichResk3 View Post
    The developer said that he didn't know this was an iOS 7 feature he when developed it, but thinks the feature is removed in 7.1
    Why would they remove it though?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •