Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The iOS 7 Jailbreak Story

Quote Originally Posted by Mackme View Post
    Agreed, I am not at all impressed with MODMYI. You rushed out the evasi0n7 tutorial last night without knowing the full facts and gave no fair warning. My data may have been compromised because of you (and of course it's my fault too)

We all know the risks of JB but evasi0n7 releasing a JB with possible Malware included gives me the sh!$s. I wouldn't expect this sort of behavior from them either but I guess once a hacker, always a hacker.
    I have reset all my devices back to stock iOS, hopefully not too late.
    Sounds like you should of never Jailbroke in the first place. If you don't have trust in the Developers of the Jailbreak why would you? Also for your information Hackers are technically the good guys. Crackers are the ones out to get you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kotin6006 For This Useful Post:

XweAponX (2013-12-23)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    LearningMan - all parties involved are saying your data is safe. An update will be out when we've discovered specifically if info is sent (which supposedly is only occurring on Chinese devices using TaiG) and what it is. The evad3rs are vehement about user data security and safety in this release.
    Well- eVasi0n was lied to by the Chinese company, and plenty of other blame has been passed around, most of it in the wrong places. Bottom line? The firewall app for iOS works, install that and just block any packets going to china. I don't care who made the JB, it works. But it is not a complete JB yet. Also, the smaller devs needed ios7 so they could update their apps: this NEEDED to be done, and, it gives us hopefully more time until apple blocks it.

The unfortunate thing was this forced-competition started by those crowdfunders with their money-bait. I don't want evasion to take a prize, they sucked money from a corp. they just needed to look at the package that was added on a little better. Maybe not add it on at all until they knew, but still release the break.

However it happenned, I can give a rat-fecal emitter that some rendition of hackulo and app**** was included, look when big munny changes hands deception and control arises. Just don't use the package, install in Engrish.

I've had it with this poop, yesterday the same people who are complaining about this we're ******** about NO jailbreak YET. Well, HERE IT IS, use it or lose it when apple patches it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to XweAponX For This Useful Post:

Jj2345 (2013-12-23)

All I am saying is this. If its about the money. Then charge me. The end user. I don't mind paying for a jail break. And receiving support for my break. That's what it really boils down to. And of it costs me 20$. Or everyone 20$. Times maybe. 100,000 users. The there is enough mo eu to keep them in business. No need to find sponsorship in china or anywhere else. That's all I saying.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemptation For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (2013-12-23), Q_bAn_b (2013-12-23)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mackme View Post
    Agreed, I am not at all impressed with MODMYI. You rushed out the evasi0n7 tutorial last night without knowing the full facts and gave no fair warning. My data may have been compromised because of you (and of course it's my fault too)

We all know the risks of JB but evasi0n7 releasing a JB with possible Malware included gives me the sh!$s. I wouldn't expect this sort of behavior from them either but I guess once a hacker, always a hacker.
    I have reset all my devices back to stock iOS, hopefully not too late.

Well then go buy a droid then. That way you can get infected by all kinds of real malware, and we'll be rid of you. Or, you will realize that you had NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT in the first place. I'm tired of these tinfoil hats an birthers. You know nothing about Jailbreaking or the community around it. The software that was included was from an old site "hackulo" and they didn't even disguise the code. TaiG that is, but even that code is NOT malware, it simply allowed a user to install unsigned packages. That's IT. And this kind of activity is going on and has been going on in the US for near 30 years or longer: as long as there have been personal computers there have been people to like to bypass the regular avenues.

It's not like TaiG installs the SIREFEF virus, or the MONKEY-PAK hard drive hijack virus. It don't.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    How much do they get from the freewill donations, when they ask for them?
    I think the donation merely covers the cost of hosting the servers that made it possible for millions of downloads in the first hours of release. What money remains is often, in these cases, chump change.

Why is it that everything in life that is given FREE at EXTREME COSTS, is regarded and treated by many as a product or a service from a big company that is expensive to buy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    All I am saying is this. If its about the money. Then charge me. The end user. I don't mind paying for a jail break. And receiving support for my break. That's what it really boils down to. And of it costs me 20$. Or everyone 20$. Times maybe. 100,000 users. The there is enough mo eu to keep them in business. No need to find sponsorship in china or anywhere else. That's all I saying.
    Jailbreak is supposed to be FREE for all users and it is: the moment it is not, that's the moment it will not be worth any price.

Jailbreaking is free, has always been free, and will continue to be free. The Chinese company most likely approached them with a lucrative offer to include TaiG. I think it is a great idea if it works out as planned. It would only increase the amount of Jailbroken iPhones and that can only help users who Jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Your sources are "way off".. But I agree - No Ferraris. But enough to make a couple of them full time livings. Now with this huge $ from from the China deal (huuuge $).. well it's easy to get the real picture. The days of a few hackers doing it for the fun and altruism of it - are gone. Jailbreaking is a commercial endeavor now. Not Fortune 500... but a way more than "side cash"..
    Well it was just an example, not literal. No one was getting rich; it was money to compensate for time just like any other job. Jailbreaking is a full time job whether it is on free time or not. They should be compensated for their time.

Also that is not a fair comparison. Jailbreaking is nowhere near as easy as it used to be where an exploit was found a day after the OS release. Remember, they are fighting against a multi-billion dollar company and hundreds of the top developers in the world to fight for a tiny exploit. Back in the day an exploit could be found in say 20 hours. The last few took months of time. It is just not possible to devote that much of one's life without compensation any longer. That's only fair to be compensated IMO.

The problem is people aren't honest. One person spreads it on a torrent and next thing you have 100 people donating for hundreds of hours of 5 devs time. It simply becomes not worth doing it any longer for them.

Unfortunately in a perfect world what you said is how it would go.
    Last edited by stulaw11; 2013-12-23 at 05:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 7,705 Posts

Stulaw11,
    Oh we agree fully! But people still try to paint the devs as altruistic overworked underpaid - and that we have no right to "expect" anything of them. That's what I'm calling "the crock" these days. You and I agree more than disagree.

I get that, I honestly do, but it is free so treat it as such. And think about it. If they would ask money for it as a product, they would become a company, even a big company. And than they will be in the crosshaires like a big company. It would drive the reason of jailbreaking a whole other way. Legislation would change, Apple could find it way more easy to get it banned. I think we wouldn't benefit from that. So in this case, I think you might be wrong.
    Last edited by taliezin; 2013-12-23 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    Jailbreaking is free, has always been free, and will continue to be free. The Chinese company most likely approached them with a lucrative offer to include TaiG. I think it is a great idea if it works out as planned. It would only increase the amount of Jailbroken iPhones and that can only help users who Jailbreak.
    Jailbreaking is not free. Devs spend hundreds of hours of their lives doing this for you. Just like any skill you have others can't to, and you invested your life learning, you are entitled to charge for that skill.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    From what I read on reddit.com/r/jailbreak, the short answer is, "Yes." It appears that even in the English version of the jailbreak the chinese company still installs some components, and those components are suspected of uploading users' private data to a site called iphonespirit.com.

Supposedly the evad3rs had a deal with the Chinese company that they CANNOT install anything the promotes piracy, and piracy of some sort has already been detected...AND DAY 1 ISN'T EVEN OVER YET! It makes you wonder what else this shady Chinese company lied about.

This whole jailbreak is srewed up. I'll be steering clear of this one until all this settles down...and it may even keep me from ever jailbreaking again.
    don't say yes especially when you're not 100% sure you're just gonna scare people into thinking their private info on their phone is being accessed by people in china when in fact its not at all

I think a lot of people don't get the what pirated apps mean. Cydia apps aren't pirated apps. Pirated apps are apps from the Apple App Store that cost money, that are pirated to get those apps for free.
    The chinese App Store Taig agreed in the deal with Evad3ers that there wouldn't be pirated apps in their store, that it would be like a chinese cydia store (with apps that won't get approved in the apple App Store). This, unfortunately turned out to be not true. Taig did host pirated appstore apps in their store. This is what Evad3rs is apologizing for. No word is said by them about private information getting uploaded. OR am I wrong by thinking so?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to taliezin For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (2013-12-23)

I don't like the path this is going down. Jailbreaking already gets a negative wrap from a lot of businesses and now they're adding in third party Chinese stores with piracy apps. All of this without letting the user know. I feel like this is going to create even more problems for Jailbreaking. I also thought that evaders and other groups working on JB's did this for free. Not to say that they can't take donations for their time and hard work, but this makes it sound like they added this Chinese store for money.

I liked Sauriks idea, making all this happen without adding the Chinese store in. I wish they had all worked together to release a JB that was ready to go. In the past they needed to make minor updates which is fine, but for this one Cydia wasn't even compatible with a lot of things. So it's going to take more time to get all this figured out. This is just a big mess that could have been avoided if people had worked together and not be driven by money.

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Jailbreaking is not free. Devs spend hundreds of hours of their lives doing this for you. Just like any skill you have others can't to, and you invested your life learning, you are entitled to charge for that skill.
    You are correct they do and that is why you are able to donate if you decide to, but Jailbreaking itself is free. If someone created a Jailbreak and charged for it another person would release a free one out of spite.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,486 Times in 7,705 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin6006 View Post
    You are correct they do and that is why you are able to donate if you decide to, but Jailbreaking itself is free. If someone created a Jailbreak and charged for it another person would release a free one out of spite.
    Not anymore. Lone jail breakers are a thing of the past. It takes teams to jail break these days and forward. No more jailbreakme.coms... Relic of history. Fun while it lasted.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    How much do they get from the freewill donations, when they ask for them?
    I asks this out of curiosity, trying to understand why they felt they had to work with a dodgy Chinese site. I've donated in the past and will in the future, as long as it goes to the devs themselves. My guess, which apparently is high, was as follows from the 6.x JB: 10+million downloads * 1% donating * $10 each donation = $1 million received.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I don't like the path this is going down. Jailbreaking already gets a negative wrap from a lot of businesses and now they're adding in third party Chinese stores with piracy apps. All of this without letting the user know. I feel like this is going to create even more problems for Jailbreaking. I also thought that evaders and other groups working on JB's did this for free. Not to say that they can't take donations for their time and hard work, but this makes it sound like they added this Chinese store for money.

I liked Sauriks idea, making all this happen without adding the Chinese store in. I wish they had all worked together to release a JB that was ready to go. In the past they needed to make minor updates which is fine, but for this one Cydia wasn't even compatible with a lot of things. So it's going to take more time to get all this figured out. This is just a big mess that could have been avoided if people had worked together and not be driven by money.
    You are assuming that is how it went down with evasi0n and the Chinese company. They could of approached them a few days ago with a big offer. Maybe they have been working overtime to get it out now. Sure Saurik should of been in the loop, but maybe it moved faster than they expected. Maybe not though. Maybe it was 100% driven by money and the Chinese company demanded no one else know about it. Speculating only leads to rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post

I'm more disappointed with the attitude of the community vs the evad3rs in this all. The evad3rs have admitted they aren't perfect and jumped in this very quickly. Yes, they got a sponsor from China, so what?

I am more concerned with the attitudes of the other jailbreak devs. I can tell you geohot is butthurt because he wanted to be first to the game and charge people; that's not much better. Saurik was allegedly working with another jailbreak team who was getting sponsorship from another Chinese company; not much better. Many prominent jailbreak devs- chpwn, winocm and dhowett announced today they're quitting the jailbreak community.

This whole thing just screams of jealousy that this group was first to release and capitalize on it. I am more disappointed in the quitters than the evad3rs for making a mistake. At least the evad3rs are working for us, unlike the others who would rather run away with their tail between their legs; Saurik excluded as he maintains cydia so he's not going anywhere. I just personally did not like his attitude in this all.

Quote Originally Posted by BrainSmashR View Post
    IMO this shouldn't even be an issue...if you have anything more private than your email and FB passwords on your phone then folks in a foreign country should be the least of your security concerns.
    That's an absurd statement. If you've ever used your phone to check your bank account or buy something on Amazon/Ebay (which A LOT of responsible phone users do) then there's quite a lot out there to be had by someone with questionable morals and access to the information.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast