Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Scheduled to Implement Data Throttling Just In Time For iPhone 5

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh you Americans and your data caps and throttling

It's official:

An Update for Our Smartphone Customers With Unlimited Data Plans

I just wonder what that 5% moving target will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    It's official:

An Update for Our Smartphone Customers With Unlimited Data Plans

I just wonder what that 5% moving target will be.
    Referenced is "smartphone customers" so the iPad unlimited customers are safe from this
    Last edited by Brr; 2011-07-30 at 06:36 AM.

If the next iPhone goes to sprint im jumping ship hella quick lol

What's Jailbreak? thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

If Sprint gets the iPhone they will probably follow the leaders... so say this kindly I am sick of this data crap! I remember going through this years ago... I wonder what grandfathered unlimited people can do about this? We join AT&T they make the rules... we pay because of the rules, we stop paying they kick us out. Now we keep paying and they change the rules again... what about their contracts were they nothing but lies?

AT&T want to throttle the speeds that is breach of the contract GRRR makes me hate at&t more now I can see another class action law suit coming

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If they throttle your speeds, but don't cut off your data that isn't a breach of contract. Nowhere in your contract does it say what speeds you are actually guaranteed. This is likely why they aren't throwing a cap on grandfathered plans. If they did that, it WOULD be a breach of contract and they would (legally) have to allow you to sever said contract without penalty.

In short, contracts weren't lies, just cleverly written to begin with.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Well the word "Unlimited" Means

Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

So what makes them think they can cut down the speed there should be a law suit on them for fake advertisement and all other companies who put restriction or try to slow down speed this means they sold us by saying Oh we going to give you 3G unlimited and then they going to cut down that 3g Speed to 2G or what ever that is Fake Advertisement then cause no where in contract it says that the unlimited data would have limit on 3g for 5gb or what ever and then they would cut us down to 2g speeds we signed up for 3G not 2G unlimited so ATTI hope and pray you guys get sued over this BIG TIME !

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I think, but cannot confirm yet, that throttling has begun today. I crossed the 5GB line while I was at work, and suddenly, I was on EDGE. 3G was gone. I was hoping that it was just a local failure, but commuting back home this morning, which is seventy miles, not once did I see 3G become available. I'm still on EDGE as we speak.

I'll have to see my co-workers' iPhones at work tomorrow, and compare. If they're receiving 3G service, and I'm not, I'm guessing it's a safe bet that I've been throttled.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    I think, but cannot confirm yet, that throttling has begun today. I crossed the 5GB line while I was at work, and suddenly, I was on EDGE. 3G was gone. I was hoping that it was just a local failure, but commuting back home this morning, which is seventy miles, not once did I see 3G become available. I'm still on EDGE as we speak.

I'll have to see my co-workers' iPhones at work tomorrow, and compare. If they're receiving 3G service, and I'm not, I'm guessing it's a safe bet that I've been throttled.
    Hmm. And I'm sure you're tech savvy enough to know if your phone is the reason for this and not the att network. If you are correct, then i think att has placed the bar high enough where most users won't be passing 5 gigs unless they're doing a lot of streaming - and even then, most will hit that on their last days of the cycle anyway. We shall see if others report the same - thanks!

TrooperSam:
    I was in Oakland yesterday and both my phone and my wife's would not get 3g, edge only or no service. Then a couple next to us at lunch both had iphones and they too had no service or edge only. As soon as got back home to Phoenix all was good again with 3g. I think they are having issues in Downtown Oak. Not sure where in Cali you were having your issues.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

My phone dropped 3G the other day while at work. I had less than a gig downloaded. In short, I think these statements are anecdotal at best. It's highly unlikely they are going to just block your phone from receiving 3G. They will just limit your max download rates.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Brr (2011-08-24)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    Hmm. And I'm sure you're tech savvy enough to know if your phone is the reason for this and not the att network. If you are correct, then i think att has placed the bar high enough where most users won't be passing 5 gigs unless they're doing a lot of streaming - and even then, most will hit that on their last days of the cycle anyway. We shall see if others report the same - thanks!
    Argh...so much for being tech-savvy enough. However, I'll claim fatigue from the overtime I did for guiding me down the wrong path.

Guess who toggled off 3G data in SBSettings? Yep, that's me. My bad, no apparent throttling going on here. Sorry for the false alarm.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

Brr (2011-08-24)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just got the txt this morning.

-top5.png

I checked my usage for this month. I just hit 14.5Gb

Now if we could find out what the 5% threshold is? 5G,10G,15G?? Its funny cuz if they were to use the numbers they spun out in early Feb to justify the tier data plans then the top 5% would be pretty low usage. Didn't ATT say something like 68% of iphone users don't go over 200mb and 98% don't go over 2GB. (yes I just looked those #'s up in an old article) If that's the case then throttling could start as low as 1GB.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sirlance0505 For This Useful Post:

Brr (2011-09-15)

Quote Originally Posted by sirlance0505 View Post
    Now if we could find out what the 5% threshold is? 5G,10G,15G?? Its funny cuz if they were to use the numbers they spun out in early Feb to justify the tier data plans then the top 5% would be pretty low usage. Didn't ATT say something like 68% of iphone users don't go over 200mb and 98% don't go over 2GB. (yes I just looked those #'s up in an old article) If that's the case then throttling could start as low as 1GB.
    Exactly. That 3% difference from 98 to 95 could end up even below the 1 gb.

...also this is a moving target! When people doing over their number (whether 5 gb or whatever) get nailed with edge speeds, they'll end up using less data and thus the bar gets lowered into the next month, and so on and so on.

Thanks

So, a month and a half later, has anybody yet experienced being throttled? 21 days into my billing period, I'm at nearly 7GB, with no warning, and no throttling.

I read the whole discussion and think that many users have the issues with this topic. AT&T should take the views of the users to resolve the issues soon especially for the iPhone 5. A great discussion indeed and knows the view of other members.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Mike Flat

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

My billing cycle re starts on the 6th and I'm at about 6 Gig's of usage and haven't been throttled yet. I'm sure in the next week I will use at least 1gb or so.

So is the Top 5% 10 Gig's and more?

Thanks

So here's an update: I received this email from ATT, which I will quote here:

High Data Usage Alert
    Dear SAMUEL,

Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.

As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.

For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:

Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.

Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.

Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

Wi-Fi offers great speeds and doesn't add to your wireless data usage. Consider using Wi-Fi when possible for applications that use the highest amounts of data, such as streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, large data-file transfers (like video) and some online gaming.

You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than having an unlimited data plan. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds.

To estimate how much data different activities use, and find out more about Wi-Fi or tiered data plans, visit https://www.att.com/dataplans or call Customer Care at 866-344-7584.
    I'm guessing that I did exceed 10gb for the month. I guess we'll have a better idea when they text me with an alert that I'm approaching the line.

"You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than unlimited data. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds."

Translation: It's not the amount of data you use, we just want more $ for you using it.

If everyone with an unlimited data plan streamed videos all month, it would be a problem with data use and "congestion", and throttling would occur.

If everyone with an unlimited data plan switched to a tiered data plan and streamed video all month, it would not be a data use or "congestion" problem since AT&T would be getting their $$.

That they want more $ is no surprise. Kinda surprising to see it spelled out in an email.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast