Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT Overcharging iPhone and iPad Users

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emaculate View Post
    Yea their data checking service is laggy as hell and will randomly accumulate
    Yep. Like another person said earlier, one day it's 1000MB the next day all 2GB are used up. Exactly what happened to me all the time. Not just delayed but sudden large accumulation of data in a day. I don't even stream music or use Netflix or whatever other users do. I just surf the web.

Boy am I glad I got my unlimited data .. Thanks Att
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol

LoL I'm a retired person and I'm mostly at home all the time, I don't use the data at all unless of course I'm out eating or at a doctor's office, I have Wi-Fi at home so I use my ISP service instead of the Data Plan AT&T offers!! I pay only $56 a month instead of $75 like some other consumers have to pay for using the Data Plan...

So far i've noticed some weird things.
    Being at home on wifi over night my phone used 168mb of data?
    Being at work using 3g updating my email account for 1 account (Manuel refreshing enabled) it downloaded 50 emails 4 times? when i only had 3 new emails.
    AT&T needs to bring back the unlimited data, and them as i call it "data raping" you is bull, they are just trying to charge you more money. i even have that app that compresses stuff to speed 3G up and makes my data usage smaller.

I know it wasn't me using to much data. It's been happening to me since I got my iPhone. I would only check Facebook email modmyi and a couple other sites and a week later it would say I'm 2gbs over so now my dad shut my phone off and I'm not talking to him cuz he won't believe me!

I have the unlimited plan but I remember checking my bill the day after the billing cycle began, and it had already tracked me as having used close to 4GB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tma View Post
    If it was apple then it won't be limited to just at&t it would an issue spread around the globe.
    I am afraid that you are right. Here in germany many people are saying the same thing about telekom. Any other countries out there seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Darn att, I'm switching to Verizon when the 5 comes out.
    no you arent

Quote Originally Posted by Fortex24 View Post
    Contact Lieff Cabraser about your case

The website of the class action lawsuit if you'd like to join in and kicking AT&T in the balls :>
    dont waste your time. they wont win. and just cuz you turn off location services doesnt mean the network isnt updating. only true test is take out your sim card. if you still get charged... then blame att. if not then stop complaining.
    Last edited by tony8192; 2011-05-20 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone Nice

Either at&t is overcharging or they aren't. A law suit doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong, it simply means lawyers love to sue and try to make money.

It looks like at&t is being charged with inflating your usage numbers, not completely fabricating usage by making up random charges. There is a difference. A lot of the people posting here seem to have very little idea of how the iphone works.

PS to the poster who was mad at his father, facebook uses a lot of data, lots of pictures and stuff, if your data usage is high you might want to use your computer to go on facebook a lot.

Default Reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

A class action lawsuit filed against AT&T is alleging the company is "systematically" overstating data usage for iPad and iPhone users.

The group of lawyers heading the suit hired an independent computer firm to measure every time a group of iPhones and iPads used data in some way. Then they compared the observed data usage to the data usage AT&T claimed the devices used on their monthly bills. The lawyers claim that AT&T systematically over stated data usage by 7-14%. In some cases usage was overstated by as much as 300%. Every device tested was overcharged.

The piece, shown on NBC's Today Show, contends that iPad and iPhone users regularly incur "phantom" data charges as well. One family complained about data usage being charged to their accounts while everyone in the house was asleep.

However, the obvious argument would be that the less technically savvy might not realize they have push notifications enabled, thereby incurring charges over night while the phone wasn't in regular use. This isn't the case though.

To further verify the claims of phantom data charges, and overstating, the lawyers purchased a brand new iPhone. They then turned off everything that could possibly trigger a data charge and let the phone sit for 10 days. When they checked the bill, 35 different data transactions had occurred during that time period.

AT&T's argument is there is a misunderstanding of how data usage is consumed and billed. They maintain there are many apps that run in the background or are automatically updated using data the consumer isn't aware of.

The lawyers admit the amount of extra money this costs consumers is small, $10-$15 a month, but with 20 million iPhone and iPad users that equates to big money. AT&T maintains most customers do not incur charges for exceeding their limits.

For some reason I don't trust AT&T very much when it comes to this story. Have any ModMyi users experienced this "systematic" overstating of data usage?

Source: Today
    nice to see this.

Hav eyou listen a big news, A compnay name Connect Infosoft offering IPhone Games application services at a very reasanable prices

So ATT/APPLE everything is limited. Harray to hackers !!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Jim Casey

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Darn att, I'm switching to Verizon when the 5 comes out.
    Yea I hope tmobile gets it next cause that's who I'm going with had to get home Internet with AT&T so my wife could continue to do here school work $30.00 extra to AT&T that's for 3 iPhone 4's 2 3G iPads all on unlimited data and home Internet that's $420.00 a month they hang me from my ankles and shake it out of my pockets like that commercial were the Feds shake down Johny Apple.

Boy...... I haven't paid a cell phone bill prices besides taxes in years. My wife works in management for AT&T and we have an "erp" account. But after reading this it makes me realize how cell phone companies try to "stick" it to the people. I kind of believe this story and hopes that this can be solved because if there are 10-20 million users at 10$ is a boat load of money or shall I say "scandalous" money being taken from the people. Hope this story is frequently updated.

Quote Originally Posted by tony8192 View Post
    no you arent

dont waste your time. they wont win. and just cuz you turn off location services doesnt mean the network isnt updating. only true test is take out your sim card. if you still get charged... then blame att. if not then stop complaining.
    Thanks for your confidence......

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

test

Has anyone tried resetting your phone's usage counters on the same day your billing cycle starts and see how the phone's data counter and AT&T's counter on your account website match up throughout the month? Mine pretty much stays within a few KB of each other all the time. If the counter on your AT&T account jumped up one time while your phone's counter did not, then you'd know there's some shenanigans going on.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Has anyone tried resetting your phone's usage counters on the same day your billing cycle starts and see how the phone's data counter and AT&T's counter on your account website match up throughout the month? Mine pretty much stays within a few KB of each other all the time. If the counter on your AT&T account jumped up one time while your phone's counter did not, then you'd know there's some shenanigans going on.
    I did exactly that for my 4/15 billing cycle and for my 5/15 cycle. I purposely wanted to bump my 3G data usage over 2GB and logged about 3GB on my iPhone counter but ATT only showed 1.6GB. My 5/15 usage was about 2.25GB and ATT showed 2.29GB. I am wondering whether 1.4 or so is going to show up all of a sudden.

Another interesting note was shown by the Data Usage SBSettings toggle I installed. It shows some tethering usage (about 7KB) even though I deleted Mywi before the last cycle began and haven't tethered at all in a couple of months. I wonder what that's all about?!? Could there be some small regular data usage that registers as tethering data? The data usage the toggle shows matches up exactly with the usage shown under Settings.

Yeah I just installed that SBS counter and it shows 111 KB tether data on my phone, and I have NEVER tethered to any other device EVER in the 18 months I've had this phone.

Their whole premium data plan is garbage. ATT offers ghetto Rugby II for $10/month unlimited data, and I'm tethering with it now. They kept giving me crap about tethering with the iphone, so I switched to the el cheapo phone, and kept my iphone for other reasons.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast