Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w 0.9.6b4

Don't forget the new semi-tethered like in the current Redsn0w version for newer devices. Basically, for a semi-tethered jailbreak you have to run the jailbreak whenever you boot and want to run jailbreak apps/tweaks. If you don't boot while tethered (running the jailbreak) it'll boot fine but won't run any jailbreak apps/tweaks. The advantage is that you don't lose phone functionality while away from your computer if you have to reboot or suffer a crash (rare).

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

As mortopher said though even with this "semi-tethered" jailbreak if you have something that hooks into springboard like mobile substrate then it will not boot at all, it will just hang on the Apple logo until you use redsn0w again to boot it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoenix3g View Post
    You didn't use beta 4, you must of used beta 3. I have used this with my iphone 4 and cydia has bin updated and works just fine now. A bit annoying you have to DFU your iPhone if you need to reboot.
    I do not know how this is working just fine for you .. I have the iPhone 4 as well but cydia isn't fully working on mine after jailbreak !! Not stable at all
    It makes my iPhone stuck on the apple sign after downloading winterboard or anything else that requires reboot !! So i had to restore my iPhone from scratch and no jailbreak at this time until there's a fix or wait for the unthedered one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miladkhahil View Post
    I do not know how this is working just fine for you .. I have the iPhone 4 as well but cydia isn't fully working on mine after jailbreak !! Not stable at all
    It makes my iPhone stuck on the apple sign after downloading winterboard or anything else that requires reboot !! So i had to restore my iPhone from scratch and no jailbreak at this time until there's a fix or wait for the unthedered one
    You were using redsn0w to boot the phone up everytime right? Otherwise with something like winterboard installed it will stay on the apple logo until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    As mortopher said though even with this "semi-tethered" jailbreak if you have something that hooks into springboard like mobile substrate then it will not boot at all, it will just hang on the Apple logo until you use redsn0w again to boot it.
    That's what I get for not reading the entire post.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

This has nothing to do w/ this post BUT....!
    I met a kid today that unjailbroke his ip4 because he didn't like that the phone had to respring when he installed a Cydia app! LOL!!!

Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!

IPHONE 3GS modem version is 05-13-04 NOW please tell me, is this going to be tethered or untethered jailbreak. i mean is this old or new

Thanks

You need to find out what bootrom you have to determine that. Download iDetector to find out: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

delizaza23 (2010-11-26)

With the new ability to install custom bundles with redsn0w, does anyone think it would be possible to just intall ultras0w with out installing cydia?

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    what are the specifics for "old 3GS" my i4 will be tethered, but my brother has a 3gs.
    ur model number will start with "mb"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starthisgame View Post
    ur model number will start with "mb"
    That isnt really the case with iPhone 3GS. That rule applies to iPod Touch 2G only. The only way to know for sure if a 3GS is new or old bootrom is to check manually or to use a tool like idetector to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by miladkhahil View Post
    You should downgrade to 4.1 and it'll be just fine

Cydia is looking normal now, or is it still all discombobulated?

MyWi and My3G got updated and work without issues in 4.2.1 yaaaaaaaaay

Quote Originally Posted by tw1zt3d View Post
    Cydia is looking normal now, or is it still all discombobulated?
    Is gonna be fine now

17. The Following User Says Thank You to colonluis22 For This Useful Post:

tw1zt3d (2010-11-27)

Quote Originally Posted by giorgos_rou View Post
    Is there any program offering WiFi tethering supporting 4.2?
    Pdanet free edition is a great tethering app on cydia you should give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    HAHA ya i already did after i took this pic when i first jailbroke it. But my internet sux *** over here in Sicily. So i am never in a hurry to update 22 apps...lol..it took forever.
    Get Metadata remover from cydia and run the app it do wonders

Quote Originally Posted by colonluis22 View Post
    Is gonna be fine now
    That was the one thing i read that was keeping me from doing the update... Now it seems like everything is hunky dory on the update front for the 3G (for now at least).

i have an iphone 4 on the 4.2.1 firmware and the winterboard themes dont work. Is this because the winterboard is not compatiable to the new firmware or the tethered jailbreak? Please help.

anybody else having problems with redsn0w crashing? i've d/l'ed it twice from the dev blog and i tried again from iphonedownloadblog. i've rebooted my comp, but to no avail. it gets to the ramdisk booting screen, then "the program has stopped working". anyone have any idea when something else is going to be out?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast