Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w 0.9.6b4

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Redsn0w 0.9.4.6BT is Intel only!!!!!!

WTF!

Gutted,

Anyone got any ideas for PPC users?

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    what are the specifics for "old 3GS" my i4 will be tethered, but my brother has a 3gs.
    Depends on the bootrom inside the Iphone.
    If its the old bootrom then untethered, new bootrom, tethered.

So glad I have an Iphone 4...
    Last edited by Ashman87; 2010-11-24 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by master1 View Post
    Hi
    yes I have also done this. then when i open cydia and do the in cydia update it says update finish press to reboot. after it reboots cydia wont open.
    Every time u reboot u have gotta do the redsn0w tethered thingy again.

Quote Originally Posted by big poops View Post
    If I upgrade then jailbreak again do I have to download all my jailbreak apps/themes all over again? Or is there a way to preserve it??
    Before you upgrade Backup your jailbreak Apps/Themes using apt backup from Cydia.

all my apps like activator, notifier, so the essentials don't work on 4.2.1 yet. so no rush...

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

We need an app compatibllity list like we did with 4.0 for 4.2.1

------> http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...lity-list.html

Thanks

I've been having a problem with redsn0w 0.9.6b4. Every time I try to jailbreak my iPad on 4.2.1 everything will work fine until I get to the downloading jailbreak data phase. At the "uploading ramdisk" section, it freezes and the only thing I can do is unplug and power down my iPad to have it restart.

I have tried leaving it for a few hours with no success.

iPad wifi only model 16gig running on 4.2.1
    Windows 7 desktop redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by nlastella View Post
    I've been having a problem with redsn0w 0.9.6b4. Every time I try to jailbreak my iPad on 4.2.1 everything will work fine until I get to the downloading jailbreak data phase. At the "uploading ramdisk" section, it freezes and the only thing I can do is unplug and power down my iPad to have it restart.

I have tried leaving it for a few hours with no success.

iPad wifi only model 16gig running on 4.2.1
    Windows 7 desktop redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm running into the same problem on an iPhone 3GS (old bootrom). Tried it a dozen times or so, and it always hangs on "uploading bootrom". Sometimes the progress bar stops immediately, and other times it gets close to the end, but it never finishes.

Thanks
    yes, i know. My question is how do you know if it's an "old 3GS" i know old bootrom probably, but how can you tell?
    Mac OS X
    You have to put your iPhone into DFU mode, then go to your System Profiler, navigate to Hardware and to USB (on the menu on the left). Under "USB Device Tree" choose Apple Mobile Device (DFU mode), under Serial Number you'll find the bootrom version.

3GS -- 359.3 -- Old bootrom
    3GS -- 359.3.2 or anything above -- New Bootrom

Check on redmondpie if you want instructions for Windows.

can anyone confirm appbackup works in 4.2.1? thanks

Thanks

I have a iPhone 3GS MC week 39, I tried jailbreaking it with redsn0w but after it finishes the jailbreak there is no cydia icon.

Post-jailbreak report after a half a day of playing with it (iPhone 4, 4.2.1 jailbroken with Redsn0w)

Short version: it's stable but buggy.

Long version: Most of what I use "works".
    - Cydia works, it's a bit of a pain being tethered when you're installing everything since most of the core stuff required a reboot. But once you get past that, there isn't anything wrong with it.

- Winterboard (which I use for Slanted Lock) works without issue

- SBSettings is working without issue

- MyWi installs and opens fine, but turning wifi tethering "kills" it. By kill I mean the phone kinda stalls in the MyWi app and you can't get out, lock, or really do anything, but the app itself continues to be responsive. I just played around till I forced a crash somehow to get out.

- My3G won't install at all.

-BiteSMS works. It's got some bugs as far displaying some funky text instead of menus, but the core of the app (texting, quick reply, etc) work without issue.

- SMS GV Extension working without issue.

- Using the volume control at all at any time will crash Springboard. Whoops!

Summary: things just "work" (emphasis on the parenthesis)

If there's anything else you guys want me to try let me know.

Thanks

Lots of things need updates and the initial reboot process of installing SBSettings, winterboard, ect is a pain because it is tethered. But Its jailbroken and I am sure the updates will continue. I am happy to finally be on 4.2 as it was a much needed update for the iPad. I have managed to put all my apps into folders and narrowed it down to 1 page right now. So nice not swiping through all those pages! (my son has a ton of games, books, apps, on my iPad)

Activator still needs to be updated tho.

I have not had any crashing issues. Safari displays a weird error when i opened it the first time but it surfs and browses just fine.

Thanks

If I only had a nickle for every, "I want a untethered now,when will it be out." or "Should I update now or wait?" and lately "If I update and reJailbreak will I lose all my JB apps cus I I'm too lazy to spend time fixing it. What do I do" I'd be a rich person. Free advice "Read ALL post Before you post." Don't look like you don't know whats going on even if you don't. Odds are you question has been answered in the first 20 post. This is just my opinion.

edit: I wrote this and it ended up on a page with actual good questions and answers on it. lol My bad luck.
    Last edited by Mookest; 2010-11-24 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Post-jailbreak report after a half a day of playing with it (iPhone 4, 4.2.1 jailbroken with Redsn0w)

Short version: it's stable but buggy.

Long version: Most of what I use "works".
    - Cydia works, it's a bit of a pain being tethered when you're installing everything since most of the core stuff required a reboot. But once you get past that, there isn't anything wrong with it.

- Winterboard (which I use for Slanted Lock) works without issue

- SBSettings is working without issue

- MyWi installs and opens fine, but turning wifi tethering "kills" it. By kill I mean the phone kinda stalls in the MyWi app and you can't get out, lock, or really do anything, but the app itself continues to be responsive. I just played around till I forced a crash somehow to get out.

- My3G won't install at all.

-BiteSMS works. It's got some bugs as far displaying some funky text instead of menus, but the core of the app (texting, quick reply, etc) work without issue.

- SMS GV Extension working without issue.

- Using the volume control at all at any time will crash Springboard. Whoops!

Summary: things just "work" (emphasis on the parenthesis)

If there's anything else you guys want me to try let me know.
    hi can you verify if appbackup works?

Quote Originally Posted by cipher13
    Quote: Originally Posted by nlastella I've been having a problem with redsn0w 0.9.6b4. Every time I try to jailbreak my iPad on 4.2.1 everything will work fine until I get to the downloading jailbreak data phase. At the "uploading ramdisk" section, it freezes and the only thing I can do is unplug and power down my iPad to have it restart. I have tried leaving it for a few hours with no success. iPad wifi only model 16gig running on 4.2.1 Windows 7 desktop redsn0w 0.9.6b4. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running into the same problem on an iPhone 3GS (old bootrom). Tried it a dozen times or so, and it always hangs on "uploading bootrom". Sometimes the progress bar stops immediately, and other times it gets close to the end, but it never finishes.
    Configure the redsnow app so it runs in XP SP3 compatibility mode. That solved it for me on Monday.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DougWare For This Useful Post:

15zigen (2010-11-24)

Quote Originally Posted by kaging View Post
    hi can you verify if appbackup works?
    well you can try it....just install appbackup, hit that button that saves everything, follow instructions, update, jailbreak, install appbackup again, follow instructions to restore your files, and viola, it might be a little gamble but its worth a shot! just make sure you follow each step carefully!!! I once tried both "pckgebackup"(not sure if thats what it's called) and appbackup and they worked fine. BUT that was a LONG time ago!(2009)

Thanks

what are the specifics for "old 3GS" my i4 will be tethered, but my brother has a 3gs.
    My guess is that it means a 3gs with the old bootrom.

Thanks

i have never used appbackup or pckbackup but the problem with those might be is that not all your cydia apps will work...Not sure if appbackup works but i can almost guarantee that a lot your current apps need updating before working. And as far as just Giving it a shot....you probably should just stay where you are if you are happily jailbroken already.

Surprised PwnageTool has not been updated yet. Just need to preserve my pathetic old 3G baseband ya'll, not asking for much.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast