Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w 0.9.6b4

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Is ur host file changed to point to saurik? If so, delete it (the saurik line) and try again. Let us know...
    agh i think this is the problem.

edit: yep, that was it. Thanks a lot! That never crossed my mind.
    Last edited by brianlg; 2010-11-24 at 03:24 AM.

For my iPad, this seems to be total garbage. I will not mess with this for my 3GS -even though I'd be untethered. I seem to be stuck in a boot loop after cydia required reboot. I guess I have to wait 3 weeks before the iPad dies so I can get it in DFU. I would not have even tried this if the thing didn't coincidentally crash today.

Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    For my iPad, this seems to be total garbage. I will not mess with this for my 3GS -even though I'd be untethered. I seem to be stuck in a boot loop after cydia required reboot. I guess I have to wait 3 weeks before the iPad dies so I can get it in DFU. I would not have even tried this if the thing didn't coincidentally crash today.
    Had this happen after installing BTStack.

Just hold down the power+home button down until the device turns off. Hook it up to your computer, and use Redsnow to tether-boot it. You'll be back to normal. I only had this happen once, after you get passed all the rebooting from the re-installs, everything gets back to normal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

Interloper (2010-11-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    agh i think this is the problem.

edit: yep, that was it. Thanks a lot! That never crossed my mind.
    Good to hear! R u at 4.2.1?

ok so i got cydia to come up on my ipad. after i do the cydia complete update the i hit reboot ipad then now cydia no longer opens. any ideas?

Check Settings-General-About
    Under CARRIER row, you'll see either MB or MC and then some numbers.
    If it's MB, he's safe
    If it's MC, the fourth and fifth digits (numbers) represent the week when the phone was produced. It was either week 40 or 41 when Apple switched over to the 'new MC' model making it tethered. Hope that makes sense...
    My 3GS reads MC131C

Does this mean I'm tethered using this method?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by master1 View Post
    ok so i got cydia to come up on my ipad. after i do the cydia complete update the i hit reboot ipad then now cydia no longer opens. any ideas?
    Red redsn0w AGAIN and choose "Just run tethered boot".

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Red redsn0w AGAIN and choose "Just run tethered boot".
    Hi
    yes I have also done this. then when i open cydia and do the in cydia update it says update finish press to reboot. after it reboots cydia wont open.

Has anyone tried limera1n for their 4.2.1 JB? I thought I read it works but Cydia wasn't updated at that time. I might try that tonight w/ my iPad.
    I tried on my iPad 3G. Everything seemed to work fine but when iPad rebooted Cydia wasn't there. But that was this afternoon. I haven't tried since then.

ok cydia is working now on ipad. thanks

Now that the jailbreak is finally out I need to know if there is a way I would be able to unlock my 3g with 5.14.02 without using the phones wifi, as it doesn't work? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    No it doesn't.

Using itunes to install 4.2.1 firmware updates the baseband as part of the update/restore process.

It's an important distinction to make. Redsnow jailbreaks whatever is on your phone.
    he means if you use unlock you cant use redsnow because it updates the baseband and therefore cannot unlock anymore

I used iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1, When I jailbreak. It can not open cydia.

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME::::::::::: My fiance and I are betting and I have money on still being able to use the ipad even after a non tethered reboot, he says the ipad is not usable without a computer tethered after reboot...

HELP PUT THIS TO REST!

What happens if you dont run redsnow again for just tethered reboot? Can you still use the ipad, just without cydia? Can you still run JB apps, can you still use winterboard, you still have themes? What happenes if you are not near a computer when you reboot?

If it's anything like the iPhone 4, this is what happens when you reboot without tether:

1. If you have NOTHING that runs in the background (sbsettings, winterboard, etc), just Cydia and actual apps, the device boots fine you can't open/use anything jailbroken

2. If you have anything of the above mentioned, it just shows the "plug to iTunes" screen and you're SOL until you re-boot with redsn0w.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

mADMAN8 (2010-11-24)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by master1 View Post
    Hi
    yes I have also done this. then when i open cydia and do the in cydia update it says update finish press to reboot. after it reboots cydia wont open.
    Yes I understand. After you update and Cydia tells you to reboot and everything comes back up... you have to run redsn0w AGAIN.

I had to run it after it rebooted after the initial update.. then had to run it again after the winterboard update. Every time it reboots you have to run redsn0w in order to activate Cydia again. That's what a tethered jailbreak is.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    If it's anything like the iPhone 4, this is what happens when you reboot without tether:

1. If you have NOTHING that runs in the background (sbsettings, winterboard, etc), just Cydia and actual apps, the device boots fine you can't open/use anything jailbroken

2. If you have anything of the above mentioned, it just shows the "plug to iTunes" screen and you're SOL until you re-boot with redsn0w.
    thank you

Default Do not install sbsettings
    Dont install sbsettings

it puts your iphone into a boot loop. = need to restore again

do not install sbsettings.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    Dont install sbsettings

it puts your iphone into a boot loop. = need to restore again

do not install sbsettings.

Thank you
    Working fine on my side of things. The only app I can't get to install is My3G.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Im So Sorry For The NOOB question but 4.2.1 is the same thing as the itunes release of 4.2?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast