Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w 0.9.6b4

Quote Originally Posted by brianlg View Post
    what are the specifics for "old 3GS" my i4 will be tethered, but my brother has a 3gs.
    Take a look at the 4th and 5th digits of your serial number. this is the week of manufacture. If this is less than 43 you have the older model, which means that it has older baseband software.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Thats your issue. You need the 4.2.1 firmware to point redsnow to.
    Download link for redsn0w please?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StrongEagle View Post
    Take a look at the 4th and 5th digits of your serial number. this is the week of manufacture. If this is less than 43 you have the older model, which means that it has older baseband software.
    By now, the THIRD digit has become equally important. The third digit (year of production) MUST be a 9. Basically your serial must be xx901-xx940 in order to have the old bootrom. The end of manufacturing for the old bootrom is not a definitive date so if you have one from week 40-43 you may want to take a further look to see if you have the old bootrom or not. Some phones from those weeks have the old and some the new so always play it safe.

My iPhone 4 4.2.1 upgrade and jailbreak experience.

Phone: iPhone 4
    iOS: 4.2.1
    redsnow: redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6.zip
    baseband: 03.10.01

I had 4.1 installed previously, but was getting an insane number of dropped calls so I decided to update to 4.2.1. I was not using unlock.

I attempted to upgrade using iTunes (since I dont care about baseband) and it failed midstream with error 1013, which after a few hours I found was because tinyumbrella changes the /etc/hosts file on your PC (or Mac) and causes the upgrade in iTunes to fail.
    I then was able to complete the upgrade to 4.2.1 and all seemed well.

Then I used redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6.zip to JB the phone, that worked well also, despite the annoying tethered reboots required.

However I am having major troubles with this release. I am getting intermittant connection loss on the 3G network, sometimes hosts do not resolve, it seems to come and go, let I see the carrier with all 5 bars and the 3G signal.

I am also seeing MAJOR battery performance issues. My phone was fully charged and after 4 hours it is down to about 1/2. I normally can get almost 2 days on a charge.

I have my subscriber SIM, so no need for special jailbreak.

Is there any fix for this?

thx

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Sounds like you have a hardware issue. Does it act like this when you arent jailbroken?

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Sounds like you have a hardware issue. Does it act like this when you arent jailbroken?
    It certainly didn't under 4.0 or 4.1. I will have to try another restore to see if the base 4.2.1 is the issue, but I have a feeling it's something with redsn0w.

can you tell me what happend with it?

I also have 4.2.1 version of iphone 4 and i am trying to jailbreak it, but just scared that it going to give me problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mj72 View Post
    My iPhone 4 4.2.1 upgrade and jailbreak experience.

Phone: iPhone 4
    iOS: 4.2.1
    redsnow: redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6.zip
    baseband: 03.10.01

I had 4.1 installed previously, but was getting an insane number of dropped calls so I decided to update to 4.2.1. I was not using unlock.

I attempted to upgrade using iTunes (since I dont care about baseband) and it failed midstream with error 1013, which after a few hours I found was because tinyumbrella changes the /etc/hosts file on your PC (or Mac) and causes the upgrade in iTunes to fail.
    I then was able to complete the upgrade to 4.2.1 and all seemed well.

Then I used redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6.zip to JB the phone, that worked well also, despite the annoying tethered reboots required.

However I am having major troubles with this release. I am getting intermittant connection loss on the 3G network, sometimes hosts do not resolve, it seems to come and go, let I see the carrier with all 5 bars and the 3G signal.

I am also seeing MAJOR battery performance issues. My phone was fully charged and after 4 hours it is down to about 1/2. I normally can get almost 2 days on a charge.

I have my subscriber SIM, so no need for special jailbreak.

Is there any fix for this?

thx

You won't have a problem, it should be just fine as long as you follow the instructions, you can find a guide in the MMi guides section
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by moharan View Post
    can you tell me what happend with it?

I also have 4.2.1 version of iphone 4 and i am trying to jailbreak it, but just scared that it going to give me problem.
    The problem I am having is with the 4.2.1 upgrade itself. Seems to have borked my 3g. The only thing that was probable redsn0w was the battery being used up quickly, but I think there is another thread on that.

Now to find some way to get my phone to work again.. Seems I am not the only one either with this problem

hey everyone!

ive been reading how to do all this on a 4.2.1 for a 3GS and i have no idea whats going on.

im new to the whole jailbreak thing. but mine was previously jb'd but opted to update to the latest OS.

i havnt done anything but backup my iphone before i updated to 4.2.1.

i tried to update to 4.0 or 4.0.1 but it errored. so i had to go for 4.2.1.

again, im sorry for being a total noob at this. i was just used to going to jailbreakme.com and that was it. hopefully itll be that easy again.

if anyone experienced at this and doesnt mind teaching me the ropes on iphone info, feel free to pm me.

again, sorry for being a noob. i thought i was proficient enough to jb with the new os software, but i guess i wasnt.

My iPhone is a Part of Me AKCHRIS's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Jailbreaking 4.2.1
    Just wait until Somewhere around Christmas.From what I've read there's a Jailbreakme 2 coming out B4 Christmas. And also you can Downgrade your iOS..IF you really need to, BUT..My advice would be too just wait a Week for the New Jailbreak to come out.
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone6 16GB(Jailbroken
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Yosemite
    Cydia Account #895872

i read about that too. im just a bit skeptical on that happening any time soon.

i miss the apps ive downloaded!! lol!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If there is another form of jailbreakme.com coming out then it will actually be part 3

Quote Originally Posted by mamirza View Post
    Download link for redsn0w please?

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default wont reboot!
    okay so i went through the jailbreak fine and then went to do the reboot for the tether since i have the iphone 4 and it wouldnt get past "waiting for reboot". i turned my phone off then it came back on just fine. after trying several times i restored my phone and tried redsn0w again but now it wont go through the jailbreak and gets stuck at the same place. i even watched a vid to make sure its in DFU mode correctly. still wont finish the jailbreak.
    suggestions? :/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Just wanted to update everyone. @comex tweeted a couple hours ago that the untether will be for/with the redsn0w JB. He mentioned nothing about Jailbreakme.com. I assume an updated version of redsn0w will provide the untether but I might be wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koolaid View Post
    okay so i went through the jailbreak fine and then went to do the reboot for the tether since i have the iphone 4 and it wouldnt get past "waiting for reboot". i turned my phone off then it came back on just fine. after trying several times i restored my phone and tried redsn0w again but now it wont go through the jailbreak and gets stuck at the same place. i even watched a vid to make sure its in DFU mode correctly. still wont finish the jailbreak.
    suggestions? :/
    Try RecBoot or TinyUmbrella to get back into recovery mode then try redsn0w again. Trying on a different computer might work too. Dunno for sure, though. Same thing happened to me when I was JBing a 4.1 3GS. Finally got it to take after RecBoot and a couple tries on another computer.

So when I put my iTouch 4g into DFU mode after being prompted to using Redsn0w, Redsn0w will say exploiting using Limera1n and then the loading bar will get to almost complete and my device will just turn on. No matter how many times I put it in DFU mode it still does this. Any ideas as to why?

Nevermind. I was using the wrong IPSW.
    Last edited by xDarkxAngel199x; 2010-12-23 at 06:16 PM.

Hi and HELP. Status: iPhone 3GS running 4.0.1 on MC131B (is that bootrom - shows my problem here) with firmware at 05.13.04. Need to upgrade to 4.2.1 now (not an option) but will need to unlock phone post March. What can I do as need to do the upgrade by 3rd Jan but dont want to loose a) jailbreak option or ability to unlock. S

Sorry if this has been asked before but have scoured guides, forums, google to get the answer and cant find one for my set of conditions.

Many thanks in anticipation

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast