Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.2 Now Available : Not Ready For Jailbreak

You too silent six. Have a good day/night. Everybody Patience is needed. Just be glad the unlock is sooner than before. Maybe today/Tom. Or the say after. Who knows? We'll just have to wait.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (2010-11-23)

Quote Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
    Can't wait for the JB! Can anyone put up a full Changelog?
    hope some braves souls will also do a write up on the whole thing. I won't be switching until dust settles

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Well for anyone curious, you can't update, start the free find my iPhone deal (using either a trial me account or your current Apple ID), then downgrade back to 4.1 and use said account to login to MobileMe.

Oh well, worth a shot :P
    How to Enable and Use Find My iPhone for Free on iPhone 3GS and Other Pre-2010 Devices

You're welcome.

EDIT: Wait, why were you even doing this again? I was under the impression you were doing it to get a non-supported phone to have the free Find My iPhone feature? You're silly.
    Last edited by NessLookAlike; 2010-11-23 at 05:28 AM. Reason: wait, wtf

im trying to update to 4.2.1 on itunes i keep getting my iphone in restore mode and error 1013 can someone please help out thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wuey86 View Post
    im trying to update to 4.2.1 on itunes i keep getting my iphone in restore mode and error 1013 can someone please help out thanks
    iphone 4? and have you ever edited your hosts file.. i would try kicking out of recovery with tiny umbrella

Quote Originally Posted by silent six View Post
    iphone 4? and have you ever edited your hosts file.. i would try kicking out of recovery with tiny umbrella
    yes iphone 4 i did edited once the hosts file .... i try tiny umbrella but nothing

yes iphone 4 i did edited once the hosts file .... i try tiny umbrella but nothing
    ok go back to your hosts and remove the part you added then restart your computer to be safe and then try restoring again you should be fine after that.. the hosts file is whats kicking it around like that

ok go back to your hosts and remove the part you added then restart your computer to be safe and then try restoring again you should be fine after that.. the hosts file is whats kicking it around like that
    ok ill try that now and will let u know thanks

ok ill try that now and will let u know thanks
    ok good luck

ok good luck
    silent six you are the MAN it worked THANK YOU VERY MUCH

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wuey86 For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (2010-11-23)

silent six you are the MAN it worked THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    you are very welcome now go enjoy 4.2.1/4.2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DevouredDreams For This Useful Post:

wuey86 (2010-11-23)

Banned
    Thanks

In the Cydia patch it says;

Fixing Mobile Substrate:
    cd /usr/lib
    rm libsubstrate.dylib
    cp cy.zip/libsubstrate.dylib /usr/lib/libsubstrate.dylib
    chmod 755 /usr/lib/libsubstrate.dylib

WHERE can I get libsubstrate.dylib?

And those having problems rebooting after installing Mobile Substrate just do this;
    When it locks up after a reboot just SSH into the iDevice and goto /usr/lib
    Then delete /usr/lib/libsubstrate.dylib
    It will continue in a few seconds/mins.

No need to reinstall iOS, just delete that file and it will work fine except anything that uses it wont work.
    But at least you can get into your iDevice and not need to reinstall.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 2010-11-23 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwiford View Post
    you can downgrade back to 3.2.2 or 4.1 from 4.2 or 4.2.1 with itunes 10.1 very easily. If you update, you go back to 3.2.2 anytime you want. Its not that big of a deal
    Is it safe to use with itunes 10.1 for jailbroken...

Quote Originally Posted by PhanaticD View Post
    all i want is for winterboard to have per-page wallpapers and iconoclasm to have per-page layouts. i hope this update will allow that
    Both have forever. Ever tried page1.png? Page2?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why Apple replaced the "Voice Memo" icon.
    It's fugly.

Has any one else had mulittasking troubles on the iphone 3g. I used redsnow to jailbreak to enable multitasking hswallpaper and batt percentage but not cydia. When i go to switch apps my phone resprings everytime. Me thinks apple are trying to stop 3g users from having multitasking.........
    Just downgraded to 4.1 and everythings bk to normal so me thinks im gona stay on 4.1 jus cos of the troubles ive had on 4.2
    Last edited by tomlangford001; 2010-11-23 at 11:30 PM.
    No Sig Spam..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibednego View Post
    updated to 4.2.1 on ipad , jail broke with new redsn0w ,,, but cydia wont open,,, anyone know why?
    Cydia hasn't been updated to work with 4.2 yet, and with good reason. I'm using it on my iPad right now, and I've had to reformat and reinstall the OS 5 times already due to certain mods nearly bricking it.

If you REALLY want to risk it, you can find a guide on how to patch Cydia here: HOW TO: Patch Cydia on iOS 4.2.1

Be forewarned that this process ain't blackra1n. You'll get up to your elbows in some Unix command-line.

Also, to save anyone reading this the trouble, the things that ****** up my iPad beyond recognition were as follows:

Winterboard: The reboot after installation (both redsn0w tethered and normal) looped until I force DFU'd it and restored with iTunes.

Infiniboard: On reboot after install, iPad froze, and the Apple logo stared at me for over half an hour before I forced DFU and restored with iTunes.

I've also had mixed results with SSH and SBSettings.

Best protip I can give to anyone considering this less-than-user-friendly approach to getting your iPad jailbroken on 4.2 is to remember the proper process.

1) Install with iTunes
    2) JB with redsn0w 0.9.6b3, Install Cydia setting
    3) As soon as it boots, turn off and re-JB with redsn0w, custom package settings (give it this package: http://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev...edirects=0&d=1)
    4) As soon as that's done, turn it off, and JB AGAIN using the "boot tethered now" option
    5) Try not to **** it up :P

Now, for all of the things that I've had **** up iPad, [No piracy repos]. Just ignore that you can't see the text field when typing in the URL.

For God's sake, have fun with it!

[And somebody make me a staff writer for this site. I've been jailbreaking every version since '07 on my iPhone, I'm always on top of the latest Apple news, and I've had one of every iOS device, but have cut back to just my iPad since it meets all of my needs ]
    Last edited by Cer0; 2010-11-23 at 11:05 AM. Reason: removed piracy repos

Is iPhone 3G working any faster with 4.2 compared to previous 4.x.y firmwares?

Quote Originally Posted by neven View Post
    Is iPhone 3G working any faster with 4.2 compared to previous 4.x.y firmwares?
    Apparently the Gold Master edition seemed to show improvements.[1] If your phone is still in 3.x I would keep it there before updating. Sitting tight usually helps in situations like these.

Oh and although it seems to be snappier on 4.2, remember, 4.0's mess was degenerative. Wait about 1-2 weeks to see if the degenerative quality the 3G has with IOS4 rears its ugly head.
    Last edited by zachthecat; 2010-11-23 at 11:31 AM.
    Community manager of TheRaged, Inc.

Go ahead and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/zachthecat

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zachthecat For This Useful Post:

neven (2010-11-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu View Post

1) Install with iTunes
    2) JB with redsn0w 0.9.6b3, Install Cydia setting
    3) As soon as it boots, turn off and re-JB with redsn0w, custom package settings (give it this package: http://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev...edirects=0&d=1)
    4) As soon as that's done, turn it off, and JB AGAIN using the "boot tethered now" option
    5) Try not to **** it up :P

Now, for all of the things that I've had **** up iPad, [No piracy repos]. Just ignore that you can't see the text field when typing in the URL.

For God's sake, have fun with it!

[And somebody make me a staff writer for this site. I've been jailbreaking every version since '07 on my iPhone, I'm always on top of the latest Apple news, and I've had one of every iOS device, but have cut back to just my iPad since it meets all of my needs ]
    for being on top of things you should have known 0.9.6b4 is the version you want to use to JB ipad, came out before you posted. Anyway still doesnt work, cydia still crashes on ipad. Cydia has also been updated to work with 4.2 just dont think the JB is working correctly yet.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast