Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Limera1n is Live!

Hi guys,
    I tried using my VMWare fusion with Windows 7 (64-bit) on my MacBook.
    It looked that it worked. I rebooted many time and still I can't see Cydia.
    I tried two devices:
    iPhone 4 4.1
    iPhone 3GS (newbroom) 4.0.2

I think I downloaded limera1n beta 4.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jfontestad View Post
    You can download the latest version of Limera1n at [redacted] or at the mirror site: [redacted]
    Yeah... Why do the donation buttons send money to your account? And is it really even limera1n we're downloading? Nice try.

Well, yes geohotz jailbreak WOULDA been better if he told Chronic Dev Team earlier. They probably would have implemented limera1n's jailbreak and this whole mess wouldnt have happened. Mmmm. Geohot betrayed Comex. Which is not the business. IMHO

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BboyAirrick For This Useful Post:

Rob2G (2010-10-10)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Most of those comments are probably user error. Also his ipod touch is already jailbroken before he starts the process (he has wallpaper enabled) which probably is a factor in him having problems. Also choosing verbose boot probably didn't help things. Trust me, redsn0w is a very stable, tried and tested jailbreak. That being said I havent used it on any iPod touches, but have had no difficulty with iPhone 3G.
    Ah, ok thanks for the input. I just got paranoid. But, yea, I could see enabling those features would cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I thought I had same problem, but on 3rd try I just wait for the program to prompt me. It took a bit longer but it did boot up.
    I was on my 12th try or so, I even held down the power and home buttons down for 2-3 min, LimeRa1n stayed on the hold down and home button screen till I let go of the power button. As soon as I did limera1n went to the release power button screen and the iTouch cycled to the recovery mode and limera1n went to the retry screen.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheSkyGrey View Post
    Yeah... Why do the donation buttons send money to your account? And is it really even limera1n we're downloading? Nice try.
    Lmao...nice catch
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo1 View Post
    After reading 26 pages of posts, I think ill add my 2 cents. Objectively as possible.
    Something here just doesnt add up. I do think Geohot is an attention seeker. For whatever reason it seems he needs people to know that he is good. Well, i think most people would agree he has talent, its the crap ***** way he goes about things that most people would get pi$ at. Hence, the remarks by the chronic dev team.

Now, lots are saying the dev team refused to implement the exploit cause there wasnt enough time, and hence geohot released his exploit to SAVE shatter/greenpoison. Could this be true? Possibly. What doesnt make sense to me is, if geohot had this exploit for months (as I have read around) why wouldnt one then "share" this knowledge, if you want to call it that, long before a release? (Apparently he has been working on Limera1n for 6 months) I somehow dont think the chronic devs (if given 6 months notice) would refuse to implement the same exploit in their release. One would think it would be a good idea to have another exploit in reserve, in the case with shatter, "should" apple come up with a way to patch Limera1n.

I do I trust geohot? I dont know. Why would one work on a jailbreak if you are supposed to be retired from this scene? Why would one, if you wanted to save an exploit in shatter, not work with the chronic devs for the last 6 months to make a proper, bug free jailbreak and not wait 1 day before one was supposed to be released? In my opinion, i dont think his intentions are pure in regards to the jailbreak community.

Again, no one is denying his talents.. I think there are too many questions regarding his intentions and that helps no one.
    No one is saying that he's modest, but his intentions are easy to see when you cut through all the BS. First of all, we don't know how long he's had it. Six months ago was a bunch of people misreporting his conference speech where he mentioned the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G, and old bootrom iPod Touch 3G/iPhone 3GS as being "Pwned for life" and reporting it as a new "pwnd4life" exploit for all current and future devices. He took a long time to finally correct everyone by saying that pwnd4life didn't exist, so it's really his fault that people still think this today, but that's the only conclusion you can draw here. Now, here is CONCLUSIVELY why he didn't share it as soon as he discovered it but was willing to later:
    1st) He had no indication that his exploit would be patched by Apple before SHAtter, so he was smartly holding on to it.
    2nd) When Apple patched the same vulerability in iBoot, SHAtter was already in the works
    3rd) iBoot and the bootrom are based on the same code so, only AFTER seeing Apple patch iBoot in 4.2 pre-release, did it become clear that Apple already knew about Geohot's exploit
    4th) This meant that a new bootrom fixing Geohot's exploit was already on the way whether he released his or not
    5th) This now meant that releasing SHAtter would burn TWO exploits even if he never released his own (UNDERSTAND THIS! It's IMPORTANT!)
    6th) He was "retired" and did not want the spotlight (for once!), so that's when he approached Chronic Dev and asked them to use his exploit instead for those reasons.
    7th) They were so far along when this development happened, they rejected his offer despite the logic. I admit, it would be frustrating, but that was uncalled for because the logic was SOUND
    8th) An behind-the-scenes argument ensued with Geohot threatening to release it himself if they didn't do the right thing
    9th) Chronic dev put GP development on the fast track to try to head him off
    10th) Chronic dev saw that it was going to be close so they decided to beat him on the public's eyes by announcing a release date with no mention of the drama up to this point so that we would assume the worst if Geohot continued
    11) Geohot, who doesn't seem concerned for his image despite his "egotistical" reputation, is unfazed: It's still the right thing to do, so he announces his
    12) All hell breaks loose with everyone jumping to the wrong conclusions, usually thinking that he just wants to steal their spotlight. These people have no idea that the only reason GP's 10-10-10 10:10:10 release was ever announced was due to them trying to beat Geohot, not the other way around.
    13) The main thing to understand is that NEITHER exploit would have been released soon if Chronic Dev hadn't tried to beat Geohot to the punch and just accepted his exploit instead.

And don't forget that 4th point: GreenPois0n alone would have burned both exploits because Apple was already aware of Geohot's bootrom exploit. GP's SHAtter is the only exploit that can be saved for later and this ensures that it is saved. THANKS, GEOHOT!

I hope that answers your questions regarding the intentions of BOTH parties in this debacle.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

aemon (2010-10-10), Darrius777 (2010-10-10), Funked (2010-10-10), Simon (2010-10-10)

can someone please tell me if my 8gb 3rd gen ipod touch mc model is jailbreakable? because ive looked every where and asked alot of people with no answer.

Beta 4 worked flawlessly for me. No issues. Finally having a factory unlocked iPhone 4 pays off and I don't have to wait for pwnage tool.

Goodluck all.

Quote Originally Posted by paino View Post
    can someone please tell me if my 8gb 3rd gen ipod touch mc model is jailbreakable? because ive looked every where and asked alot of people with no answer.
    Yes it is. Only firmwares 4.0-4.1 however,
    List:

iPhone 4
    iPhone 3GS
    iPad
    iPod Touch 4G
    iPod Touch 3G

3GS on 4.1 with Beta4 wasn't working at all, logged onto win7 with another account and worked first time.

Thanks

EVERYONE! If Limera1n won't work, Have iTunes open at the same time. I think it's supposed to happen automagically, but sometimes it doesn't. It worked for me when I reran Beta 4 over Beta 1. I noticed that I had to try Limera1n three times on beta 1, and on the time it worked, it opened iTunes.

I can't believe that after a quality JB like Jailbreakme.com that this is what we get. I feel like I was promised Christmas, and then it never came. Maybe we would have an unlock by now if there was better communication between everyone. I think Geohot should stick to the PS3 Jailbreak scene where it is new and unrefined to this point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey normally i try to read through everything and just do a search but i've read through page 26 yesterday and now there's 41. I just want a quick and simple answer. After installing limerain and installing cydia can i delete the limerain app? or will it take the jailbreak back? Thank you in advance and sorry for being so lazy at the moment. just being honest.

Default Delete limera1n logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
    hey normally i try to read through everything and just do a search but i've read through page 26 yesterday and now there's 41. I just want a quick and simple answer. After installing limerain and installing cydia can i delete the limerain app? or will it take the jailbreak back? Thank you in advance and sorry for being so lazy at the moment. just being honest.
    You should be able to delete using cydelete

18. The Following User Says Thank You to natim For This Useful Post:

Chris3k2 (2010-10-10)

Just jailbroke my iPhone 4, 4.1 on windows 7 64-Bit. Not one problem, works perfect! Thanks Geo!

iPhone? More like MyPhone geoffe's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3k2 View Post
    You can delete Limera1n after you have successfully JB your phone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffe For This Useful Post:

Chris3k2 (2010-10-10)

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for the reply. really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gu1tarded View Post
    Not sure to what extent of a user you are or what all you have checked but, mms does not work on iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 after this jailbreak.
    My MMS is working just fine...iPhone 4 on 4.1....

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Running 4.1 on my 3GS, jailbroken with Limera1n, I know Geohot has a bit of an ego, but honestly, as long as the iPhone is jailbroken by someone, I don't care.
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast