Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

What about the anti trust laws? lol just kidding apple gives a little bit of competition.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Before you guys jump the gun and dismiss Cydia, be patient. Yes, Cydia hasn't evolved as competition have, but keep in mind that Cydia, Cydia support, licensing, mobilesubstrate, and a flurry of other iDevice essentials were all done BY ONE GUY, Saurik.

Saurik has already announced that other devs, for the first time, will be placed in the loop and will be taking a shot at making Cydia more user-friendly; further pointing out that chpwn will be putting his take on Cydia. chpwn's stuff has always been immensely user-friendly, and I am confident we will be getting the Cydia experience we've all been yearning for.

Just be patient, good things will come, rest assure.
    Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua
    I guess I'm just talking to myself in here...

That's fine...

La-lala-lala-la-la-la...
    Felt like posting this again in lieu of what appears to be a low rate of actual readership here in these forums.

Seriously, how do you current forum regulars handle this? I'm seriously annoyed.
    #eli7e revived me

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

byrd20 (2010-09-16), flybritn (2010-09-13), Jmataska (2010-09-11), Kyle Matthews (2010-09-11), mortopher (2010-09-11)

I agree R333, I really hope Rock's app sorting methods are implemented and reviews/ratings will be added to Cydia.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only thing i used rock for was the app backup feature. Its great saurik is incorporating it into cydia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weazle23 View Post
    The only thing i used rock for was the app backup feature. Its great saurik is incorporating it into cydia.
    Finally, someone who reads.
    #eli7e revived me

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    I guess I'm just talking to myself in here...

That's fine...

La-lala-lala-la-la-la...
    I hear you loud an clear k. Well said

Thanks
    Noo!!!!...can't believe it, i love my Rock app... Don't get me wrong cause i really enjoy Cydia but Rock ran smooth all the time

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to see how this turns out.

Personally I've only used rock a few times and didn't really like it but lets see how this goes. Hopefully well.
    Last edited by GranDaddyPurp; 2010-09-11 at 07:24 PM.
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

sonupwr (2010-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbwooy View Post
    Noo!!!!...can't believe it, i love my Rock app... Don't get me wrong cause i really enjoy Cydia but Rock ran smooth all the time
    Rock may have ran smooth, but underneath, it was "sloppy". This was all stated earlier in the thread, maybe 10-20 times....

WRECK 'EM TECH!!! Twitter Me: Jared_Mataska
    Or Leave a Thanks...

Cydia has always been more stable for me and Ive gotten Rock since it started and watched it develope and found the UI and ratings very helpful but a lot of the time I still go back to cydia. So hows this merging working? Will all the Rock devs be added to the cydia (one man) team? I cant wait to do backups through cydia and have a better interface. The speed doesnt matter because cydia got faster and is always reliable.

Just a few requests and hopes I have for the new cydia:
    1. Ratings- I wished cydia had this from the start and very often I would open up Rock just to read the reviews before buying or downloading an app.
    2. Backups- according to saurik on twitter he says its coming so thats a plus.
    3. Better ipad support- The only place I tended to use Rock more was on my ipad because the Rock team took much more time porting it right and getting it right on the ipad. Not only with landscape but Rock has a ipad icon as well as BETTER IPAD STABILITY. I dont know why but I belive apple has some bugs and I experience random reboots on my ipad when I go in the settings, spotlight, and photos apps but this same bug occurs in cydia on the ipad ):
    4. Better GUI- this doesnt matter as much as the rest but I would really like to see a cleaner, more easy to use interface with actually updated top apps/themes as well as a jailbreak newsfeed kind of like the articles that were in Rock.
    5. Better descriptions- I would like there to be more uniformity and better interface for descriptions as well aa FASTER LOADING TIMES for the screenshots/changelog. Also previews for cydia apps/themes/mods like in Rock would be nice.
    6. Support for payment options other than paypal such as credit cards across all purchases (smartscreen was the only app I saw with this so far.)
    7. Forgot to mention this earlier- RockApp-like TRIAL SYSTEM.

But I really have to admitt that Rock has become very prominent and has far surpassed any of the previous non-cydia installers like installer.app, Icy, and Kracken (I think thats what it was called). All those other installers were failed or abandoned but the dedicated Rock team has really shown themselves to be very active and determined to continue providing the best experience to the end users. I really hope saurik chooses to take in all of the Rock team to help him improve Cydia and maybe help with updating all of Sauriks amazing apps. Once again just thanks to all the members at Rock and Cydia and I really hope to see some good new things coming from Cydia.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Aside from K.nits and a handful of others, the past 50 - 75 posts make me sick. The level of ignorant entitlement displayed by members of this site is pathetic. Want, want, want! If you bothered to pull your head out of your tail and read, you would notice that Saurik himself has posted on here and addressed, if not disproven, basically every single issue that y'all have whined about. iPhone 3G users complaining about speed! Now that is just funny.

Quote Originally Posted by nickab View Post
    I only ever used Rock to purchase applications because I liked that I didn't have to do anything special to backup those purchases. Does this acquisition mean I'm going to have to repurchase my apps like MyWi, My3G, and Tlert? If not, do I have to do anything to back them up? Currently they're associated with my Rock.app login. If I lose my licenses because of this I am going to abandon my jailbreak and update to 4.1 and never look to the jailbreak community again. I appreciate the hard work that goes into it, but when you start charging money for the services you provide you need to back it up with customer service and user-friendliness. We're all Apple users after all! LOL.
    First off, read the previous posts.

Secondly, you're logic is flawed is you thing anyone views you swearing to leave the jailbreak community as a threat. Please don't wait, go ahead and leave now; the community needs less of you arrogant and incompetent members.

On a different note, I'm glad the review and ratings are coming to Cydia, that's about the only complaint that was reasonable. Personally, I like Cydia's ui much more than Rock's. Rock was over the top IMHO; trying to fit way too much "flash" in a relatively compact space.

Saurik, if you're still reading this, do you think that you could post some of the stats for Cydia that Mario posted for Rock? I'm quite curious to see how they compare. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Thanks

@snowleo: @chpwn just posted up on twitter that he is especially working on stabilizing iPad support for Cydia... So it looks like you'll get your wish ^_^
    #eli7e revived me

16. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (2010-09-11)

THIS IS ACTUALLY UPSETTING TO ME! I HATE CYDIA!!! ROCK IS TWICE THE STORE EXASPESIALLY FOR DEVS! this sucks! =(

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FreeApple View Post
    THIS IS ACTUALLY UPSETTING TO ME! I HATE CYDIA!!! ROCK IS TWICE THE STORE EXASPESIALLY FOR DEVS! this sucks! =(
    Would you be so kind as to explain the ways that it will suck for developers?

Green Apple
    Thanks

It appears to me that saurik reads this thread more thoroughly, and more often, than most of the people complaining about the topic at hand. He has laid out his plans, explained his reasoning, answers questions, and based on the contents of this thread as it compares to his comments on Cydia, he is paying attention.
    Rest assured, if he doesn't pull it off, another Rock.app will take it's place.

Thanks, saurik, for everything.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dorkydood For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (2010-09-13)

Thanks for informing me K. Nitsua looks like Im gonna be getting all that I asked for. Im really glad theyre gonna be able to have everything worked out and I really will like having all of the features and advantages of both stores on one place.

Now about a ipad HD cydia icon.... lol just kidding that matters like least of anything.

So will the current app reviews transfer over from Rock or will it start fresh?

Thanks

dang... i like rock a lot, cydia has a lot of work to do....

Ok how do i download this rock and cydia stuff? I really want to jailbreak my ipod but i have no luck with computers. I tried using jailbreakme but i needed it downgraded but i dont know how to di that either! Some one please tell me the easiet way to jailbreak my ipod with 4.0.2!!!!

Default License Transfer
    Glad to see MyWi transferred, but what about "FastSnap"?

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast