Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is great news. I almost installed Rock the other day because I had a few apps that I bought a while back. Now I can install them via Cydia without screwing my phone up

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok this makes me very happy but I have a question. I use the same Gmail account on my phone and my wifes because most of the licenses are good for 3 phonese. On Rock we had to use separate accounts to be able to purchase the same apps(MyWi and My3G). Do those apps now get 3 licenses each? I don't want to have to use a different Gmail ID on both phones and have to purchase alot of other apps again. Both of the phones seem to have updated in Cydia and those apps work fine. This might be a question for Intelliborn but maybe one of them is reading this? Also...Can I delete ROCK now?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sirooga For This Useful Post:

csglinux (2010-09-11)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Halten77's Avatar
    Thanks

Will Saurik at least make a BIG improvement to the UI? I will miss the Rock Your Phone UI. Make it better? Even better. Just the UI is my wish, a nice and outstanding UI just like Rock's

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Halten77 For This Useful Post:

h2a (2010-09-11)

I for one am not happy. I rarely use Cydia. Cydia has Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many problems. For 1, If you have a bad source, Cydia will NOT fully update all sources. 2, Cydia takes forever to load in the first place. 3, It was just a more user friendly app. Oh well. Nothing I can do but Get used to Cydia again. Or is Icy still around?

OK so any MyWi updates and licenses will go through Cydia now?

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,217 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pizentu View Post
    I for one am not happy. I rarely use Cydia. Cydia has Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many problems. For 1, If you have a bad source, Cydia will NOT fully update all sources. 2, Cydia takes forever to load in the first place. 3, It was just a more user friendly app. Oh well. Nothing I can do but Get used to Cydia again. Or is Icy still around?
    1. All default sources work fine, stop using piracy repos
    2. It takes forever because it loads correctly in the first place. As been mentioned several times before, Rock does not. If a package was removed and such, Rock does not detect this change since it was cached and the package still shows. The load times, I'd imagine, will significantly get better once Saurik can focus on it rather than this acquisition.
    3. Cydia will be getting a refresh soon.

I dare you to use Icy over Cydia...
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

awww i liked rock...

Thanks

I really hope this doesn't mean we'll have to use the same slow Cydia...

1. All default sources work fine, stop using piracy repos
    I'm sorry, but your point #1 sucks. The default repos work fine for now but there have been times where one repo doesn't load and it makes Cydia take even longer to load. The repos are not rock-solid all the time. I'm not going to argue that Rock is better with its "don't let the user know really" approach but at least it doesn't increase load times ridiculously.
    Last edited by ethd; 2010-09-11 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ethd For This Useful Post:

NetMage (2010-09-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethd View Post
    I'm sorry, but your point #1 sucks. The default repos work fine for now but there have been times where one repo doesn't load and it makes Cydia take even longer to load. The repos are not rock-solid all the time. I'm not going to argue that Rock is better with its "don't let the user know really" approach but at least it doesn't increase load times ridiculously.
    Point taken.
    #eli7e revived me

I hope he makes cydia less sucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ethd View Post
    Blaming cydia for a repo not loading right is like blaming safari for someones website going down.

Errors in repos have nothing to do with cydia. It has yo do with the server the repo is hosted on.

On an other note, when jay says rock is buggy, he is not saying everyone will have issues. Have you ever looked at change logs for apps? About 95% of the time they say "various bug fixes". Probably 90 percent the time I had Never experienced bugs, but mostlikely woild experience them if they weren't fixed.

I just hope that Cydia acquires Rock's incredible program stability from the acquisition.. I can't tell you how many times Cydia's crashed on me from doing risque things like, oh, queuing 15 apps at a time.

Also, I hope that all the reviews from Rock get ported over to Cydia. Any time I want to see what people say about an app, I always check Rock. Why? Because it is stupidly hard to find an app in Cydia that even has a reviews page for it. But they're everywhere in Rock, like they should be in Cydia.

Cydia: LEARN FROM ROCK, DON'T JUST ABSORB ITS STORE LINEUP.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NessLookAlike For This Useful Post:

skatertrash (2010-09-11)

Yeah yeah, Cydia is a better installer, but the UI is outdated beginner's stuff. Smartphones (and specifically the iPhone) are about speed and ease of use in personal mobile computing. Cydia works contrary to this by slowing us down, making things complicated, and refusing to evolve while the iPhone community does around it. Back in the Installer v. Cydia days, I was a champion for Cydia. But now it's been bested and the competition is going away. What a huge loss.

Thanks

Before you guys jump the gun and dismiss Cydia, be patient. Yes, Cydia hasn't evolved as competition have, but keep in mind that Cydia, Cydia support, licensing, mobilesubstrate, and a flurry of other iDevice essentials were all done BY ONE GUY, Saurik.

Saurik has already announced that other devs, for the first time, will be placed in the loop and will be taking a shot at making Cydia more user-friendly; further pointing out that chpwn will be putting his take on Cydia. chpwn's stuff has always been immensely user-friendly, and I am confident we will be getting the Cydia experience we've all been yearning for.

Just be patient, good things will come, rest assure.
    #eli7e revived me

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (2010-09-13), dorkydood (2010-09-11), Jmataska (2010-09-11), SnowLeo (2010-09-11)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i know this kinda sucks, no competition. saurik still hasnt updated winterboard, hes so slow with updates. and now hes not rushed what so ever with cydia.

Thanks

I guess I'm just talking to myself in here...

That's fine...

La-lala-lala-la-la-la...
    #eli7e revived me

Jay Freeman = Steve Jobs. Buying out the competition.

Woke up and seen a change in cydia. Cydia and rockyouri are now one best move in the jailbreak scene to date kinda like apple and adobe.

This is crap ugh. What are te chances we can make cydia look and perform just like Rock? Sort by release date and speed and everything.

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast