Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoug View Post
    I have been unable to login to PayPal through Cydia for the past month. I type in my username and password then redirected to the login page on reload.
    This used to happen to me too. Turned out I had to click the login button on the actual website, and not the submit button on the keyboard.

I'm a Zend Certified Engineer.
    Follow me on twitter!

for those of you complaining about the User interface..

id rather have a excellently coded package manager that looks simple
    than have a very sloppy, buggy juiced up looking packing manager

Rock has always caused problems, cydia has been my #1 app since it has came out.

Dont judge a book by its cover.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apple. For This Useful Post:

jasvncnt10 (2010-09-13), knd775 (2010-09-11), o3okevin (2010-09-11)

What will happen to the reviews? Will there be something like this in Cydia?

I shall tackle these one-by-one, because they're patently insane.

Quote Originally Posted by hacx View Post
    1. Bad support.
    Bad support from whom? Bad support from developers? That's not Jay's fault, nor is it Cydia's. Bad support from Jay? If you need support directly from him, you might be doing it wrong. There's an entire community of vendors who could probably help.

2. Slow response times on developers questions.
    This is kinda the same as the second interpretation of number one, so falls under the same advisory reply.

3. No way of managing your apps.
    Again, as a developer or as a user? Manage? In what way?
    A lot of the management of packages is handled by a repository owner. In fact, all of it is.

4. Takes more then a week to add a new application.
    The bulk of the work here takes less than five seconds. The problem is simply one of coordination - and, of course, your repository host. You dreamt up packages and they were immediately available on Rock immediately? I don't think Jay practices telepathy.
    You don't just finish an entire project without a single inkling that you might be interested in selling it, and then complain about all this extra time lost. You're simply not being proactive if you think that you have any reason to sit back and wait for everybody to coordinate everything for you. Maybe reaching out with a forewarning or a bit of information to your friendly repository hosts would help streamline that process for you.

It's a little selfish.

5. Bad payments/downloads statistics.
    There are many API endpoints available to Cydia Store developers, that return just this sort of information.

6. Only 1-2 person handling more then 400 developers.
    I can't argue this one except to reinforce the "there's an entire community of vendors" point. Most of us don't bite.

7. Has no way of "pushing" certain/new apps for customers.
    ... What? Pushing? Like, forced-install? Advertisement (BigBoss sells advertising, as do other repository hosts, to developers.)?
    You simply expect the store to do all the marketing for you? I just don't understand what point #7 is trying to make.

8. No promotion codes.
    Unless you implement it yourself or find some other implementation, right now, but that is being worked on.

9. Slow as hell !!
    I challenge you to write a functional, perfectly APT-compliant package manager, and not complain when you lose all your sanity and possibly your hair. You "are a developer", after all. Cydia's source is open - as is APT's - if you're a developer, why not HELP the situation instead of ******** about it?

(and i have more then 5 apps on sell on both Cydia & Rock. so i know what i'm talking about !).
    Such as? I'm genuinely curious.
    Last edited by DHowett; 2010-09-11 at 12:46 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DHowett For This Useful Post:

hfelsh (2010-09-11), Jmataska (2010-09-11), knd775 (2010-09-11)

Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
    for those of you complaining about the User interface..

id rather have a excellently coded package manager that looks simple
    than have a very sloppy, buggy juiced up looking packing manager.
    Before, we had both.

Also, Rock had more than just "looks" and speed going for it.
    Last edited by R333; 2010-09-11 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

This is awesome news, but for a new theme creator like myself I'm going to be very sad to see Rock go. They have an amazing dev portal that allows you to keep track of all your sales essentially in real-time, and the newer themers like myself got some major exposure to the community thanks to their constantly-updating version of their front-page "featured themes"-type section, which seemed to keep a constant rotation of the most popular themes being downloaded. Hell, even brand-new themers like free-apple and his very popular freshman theme Afterhours got some good exposure. The featured themes section on cydia seems like it hasn't been updated in quite a while, so not-as-well-known theme creators like myself that have a product that is on-par if not better than half of the Cydia-featured themes have a pretty good chance of falling back into obscurity. Don't get me wrong - I see the major benefit this will be to the entire community, and the pioneer of the jailbreak experience will surely keep us all going In the right direction, but I'm going to miss Rock

also, to clarify on the iPhone 4 theming issues mentioned earler, currently NOTHING in the UIimages folder (all status bar images, progress loaders, etc) is theming at hi-resolution, even with the appropriate @2x image in the folder - only the low-res, standard versions display on the iP4 from that specific folder. Also, the "Icons" folder in the main theme file is no longer functional (we're having to theme native apps and cydia icons by manually creating a "bundles" or "folders" file for each, ie to customize the Winterboard icon we used to drop a customized icon in the "Icons" folder, now we have to create a bundles file "com.saurik.winterboard" with an [email protected] inside... this for every cydia app), and the Wallpaper and Lockscreen (presumably [email protected] & [email protected]) when placed in the main theme folder like the last platform are not theming either. We've found a work-around with those images by adding hi-res "pictures" of these in the user's camera-roll that can then be utilized as wallpapers directly from their device's "Set as Wallpaper" function.
    Last edited by TCcentex; 2010-09-11 at 02:11 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (2010-09-12)

6 months ago I thought Rock is the best for licenses but it's not. I bought 20$ apps, but couldn't transfer it to Cydia, I didn't want to use Rock anymore, but I had to. But now I will be able to use Cydia for everything

Yes Rock was faster, but mayn repository like media-phone.ch weren't updated and I saw old packages. Same with Ultrasn0w repo.

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,284 Times in 3,850 Posts

So some words from me:

- I never liked Rock, donīt know why, maybe because of the many issues, users mailed me daily
    - But the developer service of rock was much much better,
    they have a own developer webside where you can upload themes,
    see all your sold apps/themes, montly, daily and so on.
    - Iīve sold much more themes at rock
    - Good themes and apps get totally lost in the daily cydia update
    between all this childish ringtones and stupid guys who post stolen
    wallpapers and call it a theme. I wish saurik and
    modmyi would prevent that finally.

We are at the point where Cydia Store really should seperate the trash from the quality. And/Or modmyi, as premium side should reject themes that are no themes at all or do not have a mimimum of quality. Everyone can make a ringtone or change his wallpaper without needing a CydiaStore-theme

So hopefully Saurik adopts the clearness of finding good themes for endusers and for developers the service.
    Last edited by Blue; 2010-09-11 at 01:28 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

A big concern for me is support for original iPhone. Cydia used to work great on the 2G when it first came out but now is virtually unusable. Rock was a savior in this regard. I realize Rock was breaking some of the rules to achieve this end but there must be some optimizations that can be done?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Think this is a very bad move for developers .
    Cydia Store still lacks a lot of features that are A MOST in virtual store.

1. Bad support.
    2. Slow response times on developers questions.
    3. No way of managing your apps.
    4. Takes more then a week to add a new application.
    5. Bad payments/downloads statistics.
    6. Only 1-2 person handling more then 400 developers.
    7. Has no way of "pushing" certain/new apps for customers.
    8. No promotion codes.
    9. Slow as hell !!

(and i have more then 5 apps on sell on both Cydia & Rock. so i know what i'm talking about !).

This is a sad day for the jailbreak-developers community.
    Or look at it as a potentially good day for you because now everyone will have access to your apps you sold on Rock. If they were still rock exclusive then I, and probably a lot of other members, would never know of it because I refuse to use Rock for anything. So much so in fact that I went as far as buying mywi off of it and then deleting it and rock and installing a bootleg version of it just so that I wouldn't have Rock taking up space.

Also, what apps are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemetal View Post
    We are at the point where Cydia Store really should seperate the trash from the quality themes and apps. And modmyi should reject themes that are not themes. Everyone can make a ringtone or change his wallpaper without needing a CydiaStore-theme

So hopefully Saurik adopts the clearness of finding good themes for endusers and for developers the service.[/B]
    I think they're actually working on this (albeit, slowly).
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-09-11 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rock has f*cked over my device numerous times. I'm
    Glad it's gone

iPhone? More like MyPhone Patato22's Avatar
    Thanks

This is a good news i always love rock & Cydia. Cool the jailbroken community is gething strong!
    iPhone 4 Black 16GB JailBroken waiting for unlock

Sincerely hope that Cydia will dramatically inproved their speed and UI with this acquisition. Cydia is way too slow and an ugly UI. Rock's UI is much much better in this regard. We'll wait and see....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zareeba View Post
    Sincerely hope that Cydia will dramatically inproved their speed and UI with this acquisition. Cydia is way too slow and an ugly UI. Rock's UI is much much better in this regard. We'll wait and see....
    I guess you didn't bother reading Saurik's posts in this thread.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Now I'm just hoping the user interface of cydia changes to be more user friendly lol

Default No Reviews in Cydia
    Saurik rocks but there are no reviews in Cydia which sucks. This will make me buy less because you can't filter out the bad apps from the good and I will be A LOT more frugal on what I purchase.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pherball66 For This Useful Post:

ttrtilley (2010-09-12)

Man I will miss Rock Your Phone. I hate waiting for the Cydia Store to constantly reload. Never had a single issue with Rock, but have had tons of issues with Cydia. I hope that Cydia will inherit some of Rock's speed & UI. No offense Saurik. I have deepest respect and admiration of your work & love the (make my life easier) feature of Cydia.

So my packages will be all moved to cydia with my same login name I use for rock?

This is very stupid my iphone 3g makes my cydia run very slow taking at least 5 minutes to reload everything n it often crashes i loved rock n now we have to go back to crappy cydia awesome just awesome >

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

NOooooo Rock was so much better than cydia because rock was actually fast and we all know how stupidly slow cydia is...

~Tim

If I have helped you then thank me.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast