Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

Attention: for those that just joined and dont want to go through 25 pages to find answers to their basic questions regarding this topic check out the new FAQ in Cydia that will answer all your basic questions.
    You should probably update the first post with this info to avoid a million people asking so many of the same questions.

Thank you Kyle and Saurik its the team work and individual efforts that have created such a a successful open source store that allows people more than just getting out of apples walled fortress. For Gods sakes people that are developers for a living at the Android market cant and dont make stuff nearly as incredible as the jailbreak developers. Your efforts have unlocked the true potential of the iphone and you truely are the only reason why i dont have a droid and why I have an ipad.

And Kyle you truely are such an awesome guy and as someone just mentioned you are the reason that this site is so hugely popular and why every 5 minutes of every day I take out my iphone and refresh my POP email account just to see it filled up with new responses from the threads here. You are the reason I have no life... lol kidding.... Now about that modmymobile site... is that an abandoned project? Havent seen much of anything going on there. But if you do put effort into that site Im confident you can turn it into a dominent android, webos, ect. modding and news site much the same way MMi is for the iphone.

The biggest proof there is of how this site is so good because its run by people like you is simply by going to ipodtouchfans.com lol. Ipodtouchfans is run by a bunch of idiots like ManiacNimrod. I actually used to be there before I was here but i left because of people like maniac over there. As soon as I came over here and saw this dedicated awesome community I instantly got addicted to the site. Keep up the awesome work guys (:

This site will only be as good as its members. We may not like each other but we need to respect one another here. That way it always stays a positive, helpful, and dedicated community.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

There's alot more I would like to say here but I will wait a few weeks and see where this goes before I say too much...

Alot of what I say is taken out of contex and twisted or misunderstood...I want nothing more then a safe platform for ALL of us and believe Cydia has done nothing less then that ...but there are some issues that I believe Saurik turns his cheek about such as the 5 minutes loading time....the constant crashing of the actuall app and so forth...and this is for everybody Iam not even mentioning about the devs and theme creators issues with uploading and the store "wich we have been told the fixes are in the making" and I appreciate that immensly! =)

Once agin in my opinion MMI and KYLE are outstanding and I appreciate eveything that you and ALL the Moderators and Staff members do for us...SINCERLY! and Saurik is a freaking one man band from what I heard and if thats true WOW! Come on that just AWSOME and inspiring and without my jailbroken device it would pritty much just sit there collecting dust!

SO THANK YOU ALL FOR CONTRIBUTING......I JUST WANT TO BE A PART OF THAT IN ANY WAY I CAN AND IAM SORRY IF MY OPINIONS OFFEND OR MAKE THINGS WORSE! =)

Sincerly Anthony!
    Last edited by FreeApple; 2010-09-14 at 06:05 AM.

Just received this info from Rock...might be helpful to some people on what to expect with license transfers. Cheers!

All licenses for Apps/Themes that were sold through Rock will be transferred to Cydia. Users who already have a Cydia Store account and are using the same device as they used to purchase products from Rock will be transferred automatically. If they don't have a Cydia Store account they will be asked to create one and their licenses will then transfer. If they have switched devices they will need to enter their RockID to complete the transfer (each ID can only be transferred once).

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post

To be 100% clear here: this is because you logged in with the wrong account. Never, not once, not even half of a single time has anyone's license managed to get lost somehow between their first purchase and install and them trying to put it on a new phone, but I constantly have people who swear to me, like "cross my heart and hope to die" swear to me, that they only have a single Google account, or that they've never used Facebook to log into anything, for whom I've been forced to carefully look up their details and then try my damndest to convince them to just /try/ to log in with their actual account.
    Well I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I only have one gmail account and one facebook account, which are the two options to use. I have tried both and neither work for pkgbackup. I have been able to recover all others apps I have purhcased and I have even emailed you a copy of the transaction from paypal showing that I paid an all. I have never had but one gmail account and like I said it was able to get all other apps that I purhcased but the one from above. With what I am reading it seems like you just don't care or want to help me with recovering the app. Thanks for all the wonderful help. Oh and heres the kicker even the developer tried emailing you on my behalf and we never got any resposne from you so his suggestion was to purchase the app again and request a refund from you since I was able to prove to him as well that I paid for the app but can't get it to show that I purhcased it on cydia.

To add more I just tried installing the app on my old 3gs that I sold to a buddy of mine and it lets me download it and install it. So this leades me to believe that it is there just not letting me link it to my gmail account that I have used for all app purchases on cydia.
    Last edited by Avalanchenut; 2010-09-14 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    Wait WTF! Does this mean I have to go back to slow *** Cydia on my slow *** iPhone 3G?! I mean if I had a 3GS or a 4 it would be faster but on my 3G it is so slow and I love rock's interface! Please tell me cydia will turn into a rock like app cuz I'll just throw my iPhone 3G out lol.
    I agree, I never really liked rock but at least it was MUCH FASTER than cydia, and i'm using a iPhone 4!. that's really the only downside to this for me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite_jounin View Post
    I agree, I never really liked rock but at least it was MUCH FASTER than cydia, and i'm using a iPhone 4!. that's really the only downside to this for me.
    Read the damn thread.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

robertr1 (2010-09-14)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well I just received a response email from Chpwn (the guy in charge of revamping Cydia). Turns out he asked people to give their opinions about cydia on his Twitter, so I sent a few respectful opinions to the email he provided: [email protected]

Talk about being naive. Here I thought the guy was taking in users opinions and being awesome, only to receive an email full of attitude and condescension.

Below you will see my email, Chpwn was nice enough to respond to each of my statements. I guess everyone should just shut up about what they think of Cydia or anything for that matter... these people honestly don't seem to give a crap.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Javier Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

Here are my two cents:

1) Error reporting:

Not everyone understands/cares every time Cydia encounters an error
    with a repo being down, or an index not being built, or some POSIX
    craziness. There should be a place where you can see a log of
    activities, and perhaps a badge to show you there was some error
    during the last update process. There is no need for some pop-up with
    complicated programming jargon to force me to press OK, as if I
    understood what just happened. Just log the errors and let Cydia do
    what it can.

This is what APT outputs: Cydia can't control it. We could replace it with a less obtrusive UI, however.

2) The interface seems... outdated.

Cydia feels more like a browser than an actual program. While I've
    always favored Cydia over Rock, at least Rock had the look and feel of
    an actual solid application. Perhaps more elements of the start up
    screen could be a part of the app itself, instead of being downloaded
    from the web in html form.

It's the exact same as the Mail, Settings, YouTube, etc apps that come /with/ the device. If you think iOS is outdated, then use Android or something else.

3) Better handling of Themes:

More importantly, a way to sort themes that are iPhone 4 compatible
    from ALL the other ones out there.

4) Better queue management:

There should be a way to remove something from an install queue
    without starting over. Also, Cydia sometimes crashes, and when you had
    10 things in an install queue and suddenly you have to start from
    scratch after a crash, well, its super annoying.

Yes, there is: select the package and then press Modify->Clear. And if Cydia crashes, why the hell aren't you sending a crash log so we can fix it?

The rest is just stuff that's already been addressed, so I won't be repetitive.
    All these emails might make us all seem like ungreatful little
    *******, but I'm sure I can speak for many of us when I say that you
    guys (Saurik, yourself, etc) are doing an AMAZING amd much appreciated
    job.

Thank you so very much.

Javier

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite_jounin View Post
    Visit Cydia more than once a week and there is hardly any wait time. I'm on an i4 too and I wait 10-15 seconds tops, I'll accept that in exchange for a stable and safe program.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoCub View Post
    Talk about being naive. Here I thought the guy was taking in users opinions and being awesome, only to receive an email full of attitude and condescension.
    Yea he seem to be like that, judging by some email contact I've had with bug reports.
    But hey, at least he took the time to respond right? And he is a great developer no one can say anything else.

Thanks

Below you will see my email, Chpwn was nice enough to respond to each of my statements. I guess everyone should just shut up about what they think of Cydia or anything for that matter... these people honestly don't seem to give a crap.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Javier Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote:

Here are my two cents:

1) Error reporting:

Not everyone understands/cares every time Cydia encounters an error
    with a repo being down, or an index not being built, or some POSIX
    craziness. There should be a place where you can see a log of
    activities, and perhaps a badge to show you there was some error
    during the last update process. There is no need for some pop-up with
    complicated programming jargon to force me to press OK, as if I
    understood what just happened. Just log the errors and let Cydia do
    what it can.

This is what APT outputs: Cydia can't control it. We could replace it with a less obtrusive UI, however.

2) The interface seems... outdated.

Cydia feels more like a browser than an actual program. While I've
    always favored Cydia over Rock, at least Rock had the look and feel of
    an actual solid application. Perhaps more elements of the start up
    screen could be a part of the app itself, instead of being downloaded
    from the web in html form.

It's the exact same as the Mail, Settings, YouTube, etc apps that come /with/ the device. If you think iOS is outdated, then use Android or something else.

3) Better handling of Themes:

More importantly, a way to sort themes that are iPhone 4 compatible
    from ALL the other ones out there.

4) Better queue management:

There should be a way to remove something from an install queue
    without starting over. Also, Cydia sometimes crashes, and when you had
    10 things in an install queue and suddenly you have to start from
    scratch after a crash, well, its super annoying.

Yes, there is: select the package and then press Modify->Clear. And if Cydia crashes, why the hell aren't you sending a crash log so we can fix it?

The rest is just stuff that's already been addressed, so I won't be repetitive.
    All these emails might make us all seem like ungreatful little
    *******, but I'm sure I can speak for many of us when I say that you
    guys (Saurik, yourself, etc) are doing an AMAZING amd much appreciated
    job.

Thank you so very much.

Javier
    Sorry that he didn't sugar coat it for you. Perhaps he could have been a little more pampering with his language, but I don't see the big deal with his replies.

You complain about the errors popup and he says perhaps they could make a less obtrusive UI. Where's the issue with that?

You complain about the GUI, saying that it looks like a lame browser... I completely agree with Chpwn on this one, it blends well with the native GUI for settings, ipod, etc. I do feel there could be very slight modifications made to enhance how well it blends, but it would be a virtually negligible improvement.

Themes - talk to the repositories

Queue management - How do you expect him to fix the crashes with out showing him what crashes occur? I can't call my mechanic and just tell him my car doesn't work right and expect him to be able to repair it over the phone without inspecting it.

The one part he is wrong about is deselecting things from the queue. Hitting clear does not do anything at all, this has been pointed out to Saurik already in this thread and should be fixed in a forthcoming update.

Also, keep in mind that he is probably getting hundreds, if not thousands, of emails from fairly novice users that fail to give him much information to go with as far as what the actual issue(s) is that needs to be addressed. I would get a bit of a short fuse as well, but remember that he really is doing it to help the community.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leonick91 View Post
    Yea he seem to be like that, judging by some email contact I've had with bug reports.
    But hey, at least he took the time to respond right? And he is a great developer no one can say anything else.
    He is a great developer, that is his field, and I respect that, but I'm 34 years old and I'm sure in other areas of life I might be much more knowledgeable than he is. I didn't appreciate being addressed to with that tone, especially when he invited this dialogue in the first place.

I just thought it was appropriate to share this email here since everyone seems to have so many opinions on what to change about Cydia. Well it seems that the guy in charge of these changes looks down upon non-developers and honestly seems to not care at all.

"why the hell aren't you sending a crash log so we can fix it?"

I mean, who talks to a user like that?
    Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Also, keep in mind that he is probably getting hundreds, if not thousands, of emails from fairly novice users that fail to give him much information to go with as far as what the actual issue(s) is that needs to be addressed. I would get a bit of a short fuse as well, but remember that he really is doing it to help the community.

You're obviously missing the point. I don't need anything sugar coated. If he didn't want to deal with people's opinions then he shouldn't have told people to write them and send them to begin with. This is a matter of manners and courtesy, which he seems to have NONE of.
    Last edited by KabutoCub; 2010-09-15 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Unbelievable.

You're obviously missing the point. I don't need anything sugar coated. If he didn't want to deal with people's opinions then he shouldn't have told people to write them and send them to begin with. This is a matter of manners and courtesy, which he seems to have NONE of.
    I'll reiterate, do you email your mechanic telling him simply that your car won't start?

Also, afaik he was asking for issues (PROBLEMS) with cydia, not opinions/preferences.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

He is a great developer, that is his field, and I respect that, but I'm 34 years old and I'm sure in other areas of life I might be much more knowledgeable than he is. I didn't appreciate being addressed to with that tone, especially when he invited this dialogue in the first place.

I just thought it was appropriate to share this email here since everyone seems to have so many opinions on what to change about Cydia. Well it seems that the guy in charge of these changes looks down upon non-developers and honestly seems to not care at all.

Unbelievable.
    All things considered, I thought his response was fine. Any chance you're a little oversensitive on this issue?
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

This thread needs to be closed. Unbelievable.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (2010-09-24)

Unbelievable.

To be honest after reading 27 pages I think you have a point, regardless of how busy or how many rude people we talk to I think politeness is always a good thing even in an e-mail.

I will admit I do enjoy the fruits of this community, but inevitable when money is involved things get complicated.

This is a two way street and kindness must go both ways otherwise this thing will tear itself apart in due time!!
    I realize some do this for nothing, but to those who do get some compensation good communication is a must otherwise it will just harbor ill will unnecessarily and this will all eventually blow up in your faces!

remember people its just a phone!! lol
    enjoy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

VERY well said. If any of you work in the corporate world like I do, I would liken it to the IT guys running the company. I don't think they're trying to be rude, but remember that guys like Kyle Matthews who have obvious gifts in technology AND customer service are one in a million.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

FreeApple (2010-09-24), reanimationxp (2010-09-16), Tamkis (2010-09-19)

Unbelievable.

There is no "tone" in an email. If he used caps on specific words ect then maybe but really? I send upwards of 100 emails a day for work and have had people complain about my tone?!? Sorry, direct and to the point, no "tone" involved. If it wasn't for sake of possibly losing my job, anyone who complained about an implied tone from text would get GFY reply. I'm not trying to be condescending or anything else to you at all but seriously, let the guy do his job. As someone else mentioned earlier, you actually got a reply. I'm sure he has received many many emails and really doesn't need to reply at all, just take users advice and thoughts on the matter and either do it if possible or don't. Again, let them work without all the BS and I'm sure users, myself included, will benefit from the input.

Thanks

Also, keep in mind that what you may perceive as "immaturity" could be due to the fact that a surprisingly high percentage of key members of this community are 22 years old or younger... You can usually see a huge difference in how the older members of the community (Kyle, Saurik, Semaphore, MuscleNerd) present themselves compared to some of the younger members (GeoHot, GoJohnnyBoi, etc.).

[QUOTE=saurik;5452388] I also have been paying a lot for the redundant storage costs for the >300 million SHSH blobs I have on file (with a running acquisition rate of like >10,000/minute).

This is SO greatly appreciated.Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast