Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 475

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

  1. #361
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    "There will be a transitional period for the next 10 days where users can purchase/download apps and licenses in Rock."

    I have a new non jail broken iphone 4, I ordered it but it came after the 4.0.1 exploit was known to Apple, so it came with 4.0.2. I had to give my wife my old 3gs ( the iphone 4 is actually her upgrade) which was JB and and lots of purchased apps on it from Cydia and rock your phone, these apps were wiped with an install of 4.1
    (my wife doesn't care about JB and just wants to use phone and do updates without issues).

    When the jail break for 4.1 becomes available will I be able to re-install the apps I purchased without paying for them again ? I would ask Saurik but don't know where to inquire.
    Please read the thread before posting questions like this. Hell, I can somewhat understand people not wanting to read 9 pages of a thread about a theme beta or something (I still read them though lol), but this thread actually has a ton of very interesting stuff to be learned that Saurik pepper's throughout his posts on here.

    By the way, the answer is yes.

  2. #362
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Your saying everything I would've wanted to say...
    Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    Before you guys jump the gun and dismiss Cydia, be patient. Yes, Cydia hasn't evolved as competition have, but keep in mind that Cydia, Cydia support, licensing, mobilesubstrate, and a flurry of other iDevice essentials were all done BY ONE GUY, Saurik.

    Saurik has already announced that other devs, for the first time, will be placed in the loop and will be taking a shot at making Cydia more user-friendly; further pointing out that chpwn will be putting his take on Cydia. chpwn's stuff has always been immensely user-friendly, and I am confident we will be getting the Cydia experience we've all been yearning for.

    Just be patient, good things will come, rest assure.
    Why cant people get that through their heads???
    And even if he was NOT working on it or even commenting on this page- it would be very well granted for him not to because the man HAS A LIFE!!!
    Some of you need to GET ONE... or READ A BOOK and be of assistance rather than moaning about what you want and deserve and all that crap!

  3. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Under no circumstance should you ever tolerate a developer using your IMEI for any purpose. Using your IMEI number, it is possible to spoof your cell phone, which opens up the possibility of intercepting phone calls and billing things to your cellular account.
    I just logged into cydia via my gmail account and noticed you want access to my "friends list and updates" in addition to my email address. Why is that? I would prefer cydia to not have access beyond what is needed to tie my account to purchases.

    That being said, I would like to personally thank you for ridding me of rock forever. Yes, rock was a slicker interface, and was "faster". But what it was doing under the hood was total chaos. I considered rock, and especially the "rock extensions", to be a virus. Particularly since I could never get rock extensions to turn off with the rock app, only with sbsettings. The ONE app that required me to periodically use rock also required me to deal with constant reboots and crashes.

    What I hope to see from the merge is a bit of the best of both worlds. The Cydia installer could use some more user friendliness, rock could use A LOT of technical correction.

    Anyhow, THANK YOU!

  4. #364
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default You didnt pay for Cydia... so shut up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paganizonda83
    Aside from K.nits and a handful of others, the past 50 - 75 posts make me sick. The level of ignorant entitlement displayed by members of this site is pathetic. Want, want, want! If you bothered to pull your head out of your tail and read, you would notice that Saurik himself has posted on here and addressed, if not disproven, basically every single issue that y'all have whined about. iPhone 3G users complaining about speed! Now that is just funny. ----
    ------------------------------------

    I'm sorry to p*ss on your Wheatyflakes, but we purchase (with real money) Apps from Cydia and when we use Cydia we view paid-for advertising.

    Our entitlement is is based on the fact that we are paying customers. Cydia is a business, not a charity. We are not getting free stuff.

    Do you subscribe to the view that 'the customer is always right'?
    I bet you are just as quick to excercise your own consumer rights (entitlement) as the rest of us.

    You didnt Pay for Cydia... so hush... at least in that respect.

    (Edit - Removed the blatant immaturity :-) )

    Seriously though. You dont see what you said as a false sense of entitlement?
    You watch television that you PAY for and are FORCED to view advertisements... even if you change the channels with skill you are bound to see one or two of them...
    You look at the internet at sites- you see advertisements...
    that doesnt mean the owner of the site owes you squat!
    The customer is always right in what he WANTS... but he has the responsibility to figure out what he GETS...
    There are organizations in place to REGULATE what is distributed so that customers are not taken advantage of But - that is based on human decency and moral fiber... (whats that word/phrase used when you add a source to Cydia that has illegal apps??? )

    That does not take away from your individual responsibility to figure stuff out...
    When you do not get what you want you can be upset... but blaming someone- IE complaining about that fact... is stupid- because you are not entitled to their time and energy...
    Especially when you get this service for free!


    I will stop here and go bout mah bizniz cuz i'll loose my hair from this...
    I applaud you @k.nitsua... you've been watching this longer than I have...

    Thanks again to all the Developers/Themers and such and very importantly- to the DEV Team - for opening up this new world of iPhone functinality to us...
    The ignorant and the wise...
    Last edited by Andre8521; 2010-09-13 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Rashly written

  5. #365
    Retired Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,996
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

    I am so happy because i have bought about 15 rocks licences and is tied only to an email + Serial number account only one phone at a time, now with Cydia, I can enjoy all my Rocks + Cydia licences together on 2 of my iphones and my ipod too.

  6. #366
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre8521 View Post
    You didnt Pay for Cydia... so shut up...
    oh wait let me add some ignorance to it...

    Shut the Hell Up and Suck it Up Looser!!
    Who gives a damm that you want better service for some stupid App you bought, go %^^#^^ to the person who made whatever crap you downloaded...

    Seriously though. You dont see what you said as a false sense of entitlement?
    You watch television that you PAY for and are FORCED to view advertisements... even if you change the channels with skill you are bound to see one or two of them...
    You look at the internet at sites- you see advertisements...
    that doesnt mean the owner of the site owes you JACK!
    The customer is always right in what he WANTS... but he has the responsibility to figure out what he GETS...
    There are organizations in place to REGULATE what is distributed so that customers are not taken advantage of BUT - that is based on human decency and moral fiber... (whats that word/phrase used when you add a source to Cydia that has illegal apps??? )

    That does not take away from your individual responsibility to figure stuff out...
    When you do not get what you want you can be upset... but blaming someone- IE complaining about that fact... is stupid- because you are not entitled to their time and energy...
    ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GOT THIS BLASTED SERVICE FOR FREE!!!!!!!

    I will stop here and go bout mah bizniz cuz i'll loose my hair from this...
    I applaud you @k.nitsua... you've been watching this longer than I have...

    Thanks again to all the Developers/Themers and such and very importantly- to the DEV Team - for opening up this new world of iPhone functinality to us...
    The ignorant and the wise...
    Relax bud, your argument will always sound better if you cut out the name calling and profanity.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

    Andre8521 (2010-09-13)

  8. #367
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Talking Great Response
    Quote Originally Posted by DHowett View Post
    I don't know if it's possible to be any more clear than to say SAURIK HAS NO CONTROL OVER WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE, NOT IN WHAT REPOSITORIES YOU DOWNLOAD DATA FROM AND NOT IN WHAT PACKAGES YOU INSTALL. Cydia is open-source. If you want to berate other people for not being developers when they criticize what you have to say, get your hands dirty and cough up some substantial evidence (ergo, "how exactly Cydia stops you from doing something like this.")...

    Cydia is not a website. It's not a truck. Cydia is merely the means by which you access repositories of your choosing.
    If you're a developer, make your own repository (it's like three lines in a text file) and add it to Cydia. You didn't have to ask Saurik for permission to do that? Did you? Do you?
    The "moral introspection" warning is simply advisory. Precautionary. It changes nothing. It does not stop you. It does not impede upon your "freedoms."
    Cydia cannot stop you from adding piracy repositories. APT is repository-based - there's always a way. Why bother fighting a losing battle when you can just not fight it at all?

    And, yes, most of his supposed 30%-of-every-sale-"income" goes into helping maintain this community of which you yourself are a part.

    I'm probably fighting a losing battle myself, it's impossible to convince somebody who is so sure that he's right that he might possibly be wrong about something. Cheers.

    I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you don't understand business.
    You probably do. What you don't appear to understand is this entire community and its core tenets, goals and motivations.
    That was an excellent response if I've ever seen one.
    Still maintained respect and dignity but bowing out of a loosing argument by emphasizing its flaws....

    I guess this is what happens when a tornado meets a volcano...
    I do think FreeApple has a point- but his minds in a different world than much of the core JB'ers who are all about keeping this environment Functional and OPEN-sourced...
    you can knock that... ( Complainers )
    You can fight that (Apple)
    Or you can deal with it...

    Either way - their gonna succeed due to the beautiful nature of the human mind - ingenuity in code and a business law we are ALL too familiar with
    Supply and Demand...

    Enjoy...
    BTW PLEASE
    If you have questions as to how this merger will work out
    Go to the top of your screen on a desktop and click
    "Search this Thread"
    I say open 3 windows and search
    "Saurik"
    "K.nitsua"
    "pagonizona83"

    These searches will overlap but most of the comments by these members have yielded actual FACTS as to whats coming.
    Click on the comment- wait for it to load.. read it
    Then go back and move on to the next important link.
    22 pages is quite time consuming to search through.... As Saurik himself said- he was up for 6 hours...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenitram View Post
    Damn this was one long read. Here are some thoughts.

    1. Thanks to Saurik for taking the time to post and reply to many comments.

    2. I'm a newbie jailbreaker and while I did find Rock more user friendly, it was nice to have it explained in plain English why at the end of the day it wasn't as good as Cydia in regards to pure safety and functionality with your idevice.

    3. I've learned a lot in this thread and encourage everyone to take the time to read an learn how some behind-the-scenes things work. Heck, even developers learned quite a bit. Imagine how much you will.

    4. For those complaining about the transition, it's not instant, things will take time. I keep hearing ten days, and it's been about two so far.

    5. I find it very telling how Saurik has been in here answering some very tough questions, yet no one at Rock (correct me if I'm wrong) has posted anything in here. I'm a user of Intelliscreen and would love it if they took some time to iron out the bugs in it now that they're not running the Rock app anymore. Will they? Who knows?

    6. I wonder if people would be complaining and be as concerned if it were the other way around. If Rock bought Cydia. Hmmm.

    Thanks to everyone for the good insight and comments.
    Ditto ^^^^^

    And thanks to you Zen for itemizing what you have learned from actually Reading...!!
    Its fundamental they tell me...
    ;-)

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeApple
    You ever go to a baseball game or somthing of that nature and have to pay $5 for a bottle of water....thats where this is headed you get me now?

    Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    At the baseball game or movie theater you are not allowed to bring in beverages from outside sources. Cydia does not prohibit you from installing apps/themes by other means.
    OOOOoooOOOO NICE ONE!!!
    I believe a "touche" is in order???
    I shall summon FreeApple from the theme forums and force a response outta him!!!

    Edit: The ModMyI Moderators have added some very useful info as well -
    Search for Kyle Matthews and read his post for more details
    Last edited by Andre8521; 2010-09-13 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #368
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Alright, I suppose I should address some of these points since our name seems to keep coming up as "the reason why you thought Cydia Store sucked" and apparently this discussion is a public one rather than private.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Cydia provides something called "Cydia Connect", which isn't /that/ awesome, but is getting better. In the franchise model that is Cydia (where you work with repositories, not with me), it is up to the repository to tell you about these features. If your repository is not working with you I highly recommend you look into a different repository.
    We as a host do not pay the developers, we do not maintain the payment system, we did not create the architecture, we do not receive any of the profit of the sales, and we do not even have the power to accept a package into the Cydia Store. Early on in this thread it was addressed that there had been heavy miscommunication between saurik and ModMyi as to WHO should be a vendor's point of contact in this "franchise" structure, and I had thought we had already cemented that this was now cleared up and ModMyi would going forward (and actually have been for a while) make sure to let Cydia Store vendors know all the options and features saurik's Cydia Store provides them. In fact, our Dev Portal already has been updated to include exact links for every package's precise sales stats.


    (click to zoom)

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Seriously: I have begged and even at times /pleaded/ with repositories to run some automated scripts on their themes to upgrade them for WinterBoard and to stop accepting SummerBoard themes for distribution, but in the two years since WinterBoard was released this has never been able to happen.
    I have never had any direct communication about this, and am certainly not against looking into making it happen. Do you have these automatic scripts or are you asking us to develop them? Either option is feasible, I'm just wondering since this is literally the first I've heard this suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    As for seeing your sales, Cydia provides live raw customer database dumps from which you can determine any kind of statistic you need (as well as a zoomable reconfigurable chart which you can use to browse your payments without resorting to low-level tricks). You are supposed to be able to get information from how this works from your repository, but apparently not all of the repositories provide the same level of service.
    Addressed in my first reply in this post (I assume this was aimed at ModMyi simply by the vast amount of comments directed at us in saurik's replies).

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    BigBoss does, in fact, refuse to host themes that suck. ModMyi is not the only default repository, nor is it the largest default repository. I am not certain why you believe that ModMyi should be uniquely responsible for bad content (having mentioned them twice).
    BigBoss's "subrepos," however, do NOT refuse "themes that suck" as the definition seems to pertain to this conversation. And as far as end users are concerned, what's in BigBoss' subrepos is in BigBoss' repo (the main Packages file sure doesn't differentiate).

    ModMyi DOES refuse "themes that suck" in a paid regard (to this day we reject a majority of what is submitted to us), while we are admittedly more lax in free themes. And "themes that suck" is a wholly subjective phrase anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    You are not supposed to be contacting me: your relationship is with your repository, not with me. So, please do not stalk me.

    Seriously: you should fire your repository for not telling you about these features. For the record, every developer/artist who has complained about Cydia's feature set on this thread uses ModMyi, and every developer who has defended me uses BigBoss. Meanwhile, I keep getting sent more and more themes from ModMyi, which I'm really hesitant to approve if this is the kind of support they are going to be getting. I normally try to stay neutral in these issues, but really: this is ludicrous; if I am going to have the relationship with the developer I'm also going to host their damned packages for them.
    My understanding previously had been saurik requires contact with each developer to approve them into the Cydia Store (this may have changed recently, I am not sure) - as saurik has told me this specifically multiple times in the past. My assumption until the last few months (saurik and I already had this whole "the repo IS the store conversation" before, which is why I'm confused it's being brought up here repeatedly - I suppose because some of our older vendors still apparently weren't aware of Cydia Connect) was when the Cydia Store - who receives the profit of these sales, however minute that is - had developers agree to contracts and welcomed users to the Cydia Store, it also notified them of the ins and outs of the Cydia Store.

    This is a moot point though - as after our previous conversation (I believe in April or May) we created an informative Cydia Store F.A.Q (which every dev is linked to BEFORE they post a package) which addressed all those points for new, incoming developers and artists.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Cydia has supported a similar feature forever: "diff indices", which offer all of the same advantages without the centralized control that Rock claimed they needed for performance reasons. But, after two years of bringing up the subject of getting the "we push an update every day" default repositories to start using this feature, I had not totally succeeded until just last night, when ModMyi (the final holdout, AFAIK, but I need to recheck now) finally flipped the switch (which either took their repository offline or brought it back up: I'm not certain which).
    It took us offline. Well not really, but it was a wonderful dev fiasco from which one can learn one good thing: no matter how much work a specific developer has done for you, never give them root access (even while you're directly watching it) to your box, and always be aware that yum CAN and WILL remove both itself, the kernel, and the entire OS on a server.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Now, could I have just delisted the repositories that didn't support diff indices? I doubt it. Initially that would have meant "ok, now there are no repositories", and even when there was still only a single one left, I can't just /delist/ ModMyi: users would not tolerate it. The key insight here (which also applies to a lot of the understanding about how Cydia was actually competing with Intelliborn, not Rock Your Phone), is that "end users do not care about how their installer works or even how their installer performs: they care about what their installer installs".
    Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    So, humorously enough, I did not realize MMI had a "theme of the week" program when that specific idea came up at a SaurikIT brainstorming session a couple weeks ago. I believe someone is currently working on implementing the idea. It seems a lot less exciting now that I know ModMyi is doing it, but they probably have a very different focus (we were looking to do highlights on the backstories of the artists, not spending as much time on the themes. Ok, yeah, looking at this this is much more simplistic than where we were going with this idea.
    Great idea, we may do something similar then in our threads - I think you're right on there.




    In essence, I believe much of this had already been fixed in saurik and I's conversation the other night. However it seems it's still public here, so I figured I should address the many directed comments. We have already corrected to be the sole point of contact for all things Cydia Store for our developers.

    I'll agree we should have been more proactive in obtaining all the information on how saurik prefers vendors have information received and displayed, but I was never given any direct communication in regards to what specifically saurik preferred they be told about the various options he provides them. To this day I have not been given any documentation on Cydia Store's roster or checkapi feature which allows developers to view/check who has legitimately purchased their packages, although I do know we are able to get them should we request. The general rule of thumb on Cydia Store features seems to be "saurik may mention it in IRC, has BigBoss or himself test it, and assumes everyone else should magically know it from then on out."

    I'll say again - I think this miscommunication and issue is already taken care of, and I believe saurik is happy as we are with the corrected perspectives. However since there is a heavy "ModMyi is why you hate Cydia Store" slant (which we certainly don't feel - I love the idea AND implementation of the Cydia Store and think it has brought many content producers in who never would have been in the jailbreak community without it) in many of saurik's comments here I felt I should reply.

    As the first 3rd party Cydia repository (yah, back when the icon looked like this: ) and the largest jailbreak website on the internet, I still love Cydia (my RockID password for the longest time was ilovecydia) and work every day on attempting to bring better experiences to those who use it, whether that be through improving our Dev Portal (seriously, we like our Dev Portal and spend lots of time and money on it), looking at ways to speed up depictions, figuring out more ways to help developers/artists push their products, or just listening to suggestions. I'm disappointed there seems to be an "us against them" feeling in the air (even to the point of saurik questioning himself earlier as could he just delist ModMyi as a source) - I've said a million times to saurik that I'm willing to put in WHATEVER WORK IS NECESSARY to make running Cydia easier on him, asked how he'd prefer all communications, etc without clear answers - and am met here with multitudes of negative comments.

    I'm just asking for a little more communication with us, being one of the very few people who fill a default Cydia with content and spends hours and hours every day on exactly that. saurik - as far as I'm concerned you and BigBoss and myself are a team, not separate entities working against each other. I'm STILL willing to do whatever is necessary to make YOU feel the same.

    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 2010-09-13 at 10:37 PM. Reason: grammer ;) (ha)
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

    143voltron (2010-09-14), Andre8521 (2010-09-13), byrd20 (2010-09-18), Cody Overcash (2010-09-13), FreeApple (2010-09-14), metaljay (2010-09-14), mortopher (2010-09-13), Raptors (2010-09-14), reanimationxp (2010-09-13), SnowLeo (2010-09-14), TCcentex (2010-09-13), toyvan (2010-09-13), Zenitram (2010-09-14)

  11. #369
    Holy crap, AppTapp. That brings back memories.

    Thanks for all that you do, MMi Staff, and a huge thanks to Saurik for paying attention to me, and continued attention to this thread.

    You may be hard to convince without concrete evidence of a bug, but I'm still very glad you listened, and look forward to contacting you in the future
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

  12. #370
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    Alright, I suppose I should address some of these points since our name seems to keep coming up as "the reason why you thought Cydia Store sucked" and apparently this discussion is a public one rather than private.
    .................


    As the first 3rd party Cydia repository (yah, back when the icon looked like this: ) and the largest jailbreak website on the internet, I still love Cydia (my RockID password for the longest time was ilovecydia) and work every day on attempting to bring better experiences to those who use it, whether that be through improving our Dev Portal (seriously, we like our Dev Portal and spend lots of time and money on it), looking at ways to speed up depictions, figuring out more ways to help developers/artists push their products, or just listening to suggestions. I'm disappointed there seems to be an "us against them" feeling in the air (even to the point of saurik questioning himself earlier as could he just delist ModMyi as a source) - I've said a million times to saurik that I'm willing to put in WHATEVER WORK IS NECESSARY to make running Cydia easier on him, asked how he'd prefer all communications, etc without clear answers - and am met here with multitudes of negative comments here.

    I'm just asking for a little more communication with us, being one of the very few people who fill a default Cydia with content and spends hours and hours every day on exactly that. saurik - as far as I'm concerned you and BigBoss and myself are a team, not separate entities working against each other. I'm STILL willing to do whatever is necessary to make YOU feel the same.

    Much appreciated.

    As someone with a serious interest in investing time in developing themes and eventually apps, this "advanced knowledge" into the behind the scene workings and communications, has been invaluable.

    Amazing how a "Forum" can be so beneficial- to the Moderators AND the members!
    ..... That would be the point of it
    I guess...
    :-)

    Thank you all for your hard work and time in responding.

  13. #371
    Anyone else having serious trouble getting Cydia to load?

    I have tried several times now to buy "location spoofer" and "My3G" with no success. I guess I wil just try again in a few days when all the dust settles.

  14. #372
    Saurik, do you have any sort of support structure for Cydia itself right now, i.e. people to filter bogus bug reports from actual ones, a liason for repos, etc?

    I'd def be for hire to help you out with this type of stuff if not, I'd even put in my free time if you couldn't pay.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

  15. #373
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default True
    Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Relax bud, your argument will always sound better if you cut out the name calling and profanity.
    Most definitely.

    I meant to add a point after
    "Let me be ignorant"
    to say:
    "I understand that its easier to say things in anger"
    but thinking through a thought will always end better...

    It seems I fell victim to not following my own counsel...

    <<FAIL!!

  16. #374
    EDIT: do not want to add fuel to the fire..
    Last edited by toyvan; 2010-09-13 at 10:45 PM.

  17. #375
    Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,516
    Thanks
    577
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by toyvan View Post
    @ Saurik - Please associate my vendor ID with my Cydia account>>>[email protected] - Cheers!
    (this sort of thing only adds fuel to the fire)
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  18. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    (this sort of thing only adds fuel to the fire)

    removed and edited

  19. #377
    WTF happened here? This is NUTS. We all need to take a step back from
    all the ******** and fighting and just chill out. Seriously. The truth of the matter is that Rock gave alot more to a variety of devs than Cydia did/does. That's ok. Really guys. It's an opportunity to bring the main repo leaders and all other key players together to start brainstorming solutions that work and can be maintained accordingly.

    Now, with that being said, let's stop attacking each other here and kick off a thread where we can start organizing feasible solutions which benefit a variety of users and work with one another and support these solutions.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

    TCcentex (2010-09-14)

  21. #378
    I usually stay away from debates as people really don't know how to present an arguement without getting offended. But I had to chime in:

    You can not compare apples to oranges. There are great things I like about Cydia and then there is things I dislike about it. And same goes to Rock. But at the end I believe those platforms attracted different crowds. But now that we have Cydia only I am hoping that the experience only improves in multiple instances.
    I have read what Saurik had to say and we brought up many well thought out responses and so did Kyle M. But there seems to be a miscommunication between Saurik and its customers(so to speak). I am hoping that this opens up a forum between Saurik and the Knights of the round table and hammer out a standard to conduct a repo.

  22. #379
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,859
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Matthews View Post
    Alright, I suppose I should address some of these points since our name seems to keep coming up as "the reason why you thought Cydia Store sucked" and apparently this discussion is a public one rather than private.



    We as a host do not pay the developers, we do not maintain the payment system, we did not create the architecture, we do not receive any of the profit of the sales, and we do not even have the power to accept a package into the Cydia Store. Early on in this thread it was addressed that there had been heavy miscommunication between saurik and ModMyi as to WHO should be a vendor's point of contact in this "franchise" structure, and I had thought we had already cemented that this was now cleared up and ModMyi would going forward (and actually have been for a while) make sure to let Cydia Store vendors know all the options and features saurik's Cydia Store provides them. In fact, our Dev Portal already has been updated to include exact links for every package's precise sales stats.


    (click to zoom)



    I have never had any direct communication about this, and am certainly not against looking into making it happen. Do you have these automatic scripts or are you asking us to develop them? Either option is feasible, I'm just wondering since this is literally the first I've heard this suggestion.



    Addressed in my first reply in this post (I assume this was aimed at ModMyi simply by the vast amount of comments directed at us in saurik's replies).



    BigBoss's "subrepos," however, do NOT refuse "themes that suck" as the definition seems to pertain to this conversation. And as far as end users are concerned, what's in BigBoss' subrepos is in BigBoss' repo (the main Packages file sure doesn't differentiate).

    ModMyi DOES refuse "themes that suck" in a paid regard (to this day we reject a majority of what is submitted to us), while we are admittedly more lax in free themes. And "themes that suck" is a wholly subjective phrase anyway.



    My understanding previously had been saurik requires contact with each developer to approve them into the Cydia Store (this may have changed recently, I am not sure) - as saurik has told me this specifically multiple times in the past. My assumption until the last few months (saurik and I already had this whole "the repo IS the store conversation" before, which is why I'm confused it's being brought up here repeatedly - I suppose because some of our older vendors still apparently weren't aware of Cydia Connect) was when the Cydia Store - who receives the profit of these sales, however minute that is - had developers agree to contracts and welcomed users to the Cydia Store, it also notified them of the ins and outs of the Cydia Store.

    This is a moot point though - as after our previous conversation (I believe in April or May) we created an informative Cydia Store F.A.Q (which every dev is linked to BEFORE they post a package) which addressed all those points for new, incoming developers and artists.



    It took us offline. Well not really, but it was a wonderful dev fiasco from which one can learn one good thing: no matter how much work a specific developer has done for you, never give them root access (even while you're directly watching it) to your box, and always be aware that yum CAN and WILL remove both itself, the kernel, and the entire OS on a server.



    Interesting.



    Great idea, we may do something similar then in our threads - I think you're right on there.




    In essence, I believe much of this had already been fixed in saurik and I's conversation the other night. However it seems it's still public here, so I figured I should address the many directed comments. We have already corrected to be the sole point of contact for all things Cydia Store for our developers.

    I'll agree we should have been more proactive in obtaining all the information on how saurik prefers vendors have information received and displayed, but I was never given any direct communication in regards to what specifically saurik preferred they be told about the various options he provides them. To this day I have not been given any documentation on Cydia Store's roster or checkapi feature which allows developers to view/check who has legitimately purchased their packages, although I do know we are able to get them should we request. The general rule of thumb on Cydia Store features seems to be "saurik may mention it in IRC, has BigBoss or himself test it, and assumes everyone else should magically know it from then on out."

    I'll say again - I think this miscommunication and issue is already taken care of, and I believe saurik is happy as we are with the corrected perspectives. However since there is a heavy "ModMyi is why you hate Cydia Store" slant (which we certainly don't feel - I love the idea AND implementation of the Cydia Store and think it has brought many content producers in who never would have been in the jailbreak community without it) in many of saurik's comments here I felt I should reply.

    As the first 3rd party Cydia repository (yah, back when the icon looked like this: ) and the largest jailbreak website on the internet, I still love Cydia (my RockID password for the longest time was ilovecydia) and work every day on attempting to bring better experiences to those who use it, whether that be through improving our Dev Portal (seriously, we like our Dev Portal and spend lots of time and money on it), looking at ways to speed up depictions, figuring out more ways to help developers/artists push their products, or just listening to suggestions. I'm disappointed there seems to be an "us against them" feeling in the air (even to the point of saurik questioning himself earlier as could he just delist ModMyi as a source) - I've said a million times to saurik that I'm willing to put in WHATEVER WORK IS NECESSARY to make running Cydia easier on him, asked how he'd prefer all communications, etc without clear answers - and am met here with multitudes of negative comments.

    I'm just asking for a little more communication with us, being one of the very few people who fill a default Cydia with content and spends hours and hours every day on exactly that. saurik - as far as I'm concerned you and BigBoss and myself are a team, not separate entities working against each other. I'm STILL willing to do whatever is necessary to make YOU feel the same.

    in my humble opinion, THIS is why MMi gets over 30-million page loads monthly and is in the category of the most trafficked sites in the world -- becuase it's run and maintained by a GOOD MAN. And let's face it... We're doing all this for A CELL PHONE & MUSIC PLAYER. With so many other more important things in life this site and the owners make it an absolute pleasure to visit and be a part of. THANK YOU KYLE.

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

    byrd20 (2010-09-18), FreeApple (2010-09-14), Kyle Matthews (2010-09-14), reanimationxp (2010-09-14), toyvan (2010-09-14)

  24. #380

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •