Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Acquires Rock.app

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i hope cydia puts a whats new like rock had. that was one of the things thta rock had over cydia.

Default My 2 cents...
    OK, so I have read EVERY post in this thread(this morning in bed on my iPad ) - This may seem like a "selfish" post, but I'm sure there are more than a few others that share the same concerns.

I have been a Rock supporter, customer, and developer since day one. I even designed all the icons for the different categories(bet nobody knew that )I believe competition is healthy and it makes people think "outside-of-the-box" to better their products and service. So I was clearly excited when Rock came on the scene.

Now, as a theme creator/developer Rock has been simply incredible! Here are just a few of MY reasons, as a developer, not an average user who just cares about the UI and loading speed.

1. Developer support. I can email Mario, Glenn or Tom directly and get a response within 24 hours, sometimes sooner! I have emailed, sent texts, got on IRC chat, twittered, facebooked, and even called Saurik NUMEROUS times over the last 18 months, with not even one single reply!(btw, his phone# is publicly posted on his website, I didn't call the FBI). I have literally felt like a stalker! lol!(maybe he called the FBI??!?) My point is, if this is the kind of support and communication I have to look forward to>>>>>>>!! And to top it off Saurik replies to someone on here in less thasn 10 minutes?!?!?!?! ..nuff said.

2. The developer portal is a MUST have. The ability to check sales stats 24/7, great! I can give out promotional licenses to anyone I choose..perfect! Monthly statements..word! Customer database..woohoo! This has been an invaluable tool for me and I don't see how I can run my "business" without it!

3. Theme promotion. Let's face it, theme's get no love in Cydia! Don't get me wrong, there are GREAT themes available on Cydia, however it is littered with a bunch of crap that is crappier than crap! The theme section in Cydia hasn't been updated for over a year!!(is it that obvious I'm a theme creator? ). Yes, I may be bias on this because my themes have done VERY well on Rock, and have had a lot of publicity on their home page, but from what I've read on here, I'm not the only one. I am willing to bet that the "average" user who jailbreaks, does it so they can theme their device! NOBODY WANTS THEIR IPHONE TO LOOK LIKE IT DOES OTB!!!! And if their is someone out there who does, you're a screwdriver short of a tool-box!

There are probably more things I could add to this list, but that will suffice for now. Rock has been very good to me and I will miss the relationship I have had with Mario and crew. I just hope that Jay, will be more pro-active in his relationships with developers, or hire someone who will(**raises his hand**). I told you this would be a somewhat "selfish" post, so if you desire to respond, please choose your words wisely...Cheers!

-ToyVan
    Last edited by toyvan; 2010-09-11 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks

Default License Transfer
    Aight, I've read every post on this thread for the last hour (Its addicting lol). And I know that licenses will be transferred to Cydia from Rock. My question is this: Within the last two weeks, my old 3G quit working and I grabbed an iPhone 4. My 3G was jailbroken and had my favorite app ever, MyWi 4.0. When a jailbreak does come out for iOS 4.1, will my license for MyWi carry over or will I have to purchase it once again, since I am on a different phone? Keep in mind that Im not anal or upset, it does not bother me to buy it again, that app freaking rocks! Just curious as to if I needed to do anything particular when I am able to jalbreak again. Thanks in advance.

WRECK 'EM TECH!!! Twitter Me: Jared_Mataska
    Or Leave a Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Greengirl319 View Post
    Ok how do i download this rock and cydia stuff? I really want to jailbreak my ipod but i have no luck with computers. I tried using jailbreakme but i needed it downgraded but i dont know how to di that either! Some one please tell me the easiet way to jailbreak my ipod with 4.0.2!!!!
    It's not possible to jailbreak when your on 4.0.2.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to punjabi212 For This Useful Post:

sonupwr (2010-09-11)

This is going to affect me deeply I think...As of now all my theme's are available only on Rock.
    I hope Cydia will produce a developer dashboard and experience that RockApp has provided.

Wow...Maybe it will be for the better...bigger customer base, but damn..I really liked the way RockApp conducted its business.
    Fast, Professional, and User friendly.

I guess we will see.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayQuint87 For This Useful Post:

143voltron (2010-09-14), TCcentex (2010-09-11)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

cydia can definitely benefit from a cleaner nicer look. which they probably will work on once they finish merging everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greengirl319 View Post
    Ok how do i download this rock and cydia stuff? I really want to jailbreak my ipod but i have no luck with computers. I tried using jailbreakme but i needed it downgraded but i dont know how to di that either! Some one please tell me the easiet way to jailbreak my ipod with 4.0.2!!!!
    Now is when patience kicks in It wont be long for a 4.1 JB.

Or Leave a Thanks...

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmataska View Post
    Aight, I've read every post on this thread for the last hour (Its addicting lol). And I know that licenses will be transferred to Cydia from Rock. My question is this: Within the last two weeks, my old 3G quit working and I grabbed an iPhone 4. My 3G was jailbroken and had my favorite app ever, MyWi 4.0. When a jailbreak does come out for iOS 4.1, will my license for MyWi carry over or will I have to purchase it once again, since I am on a different phone? Keep in mind that Im not anal or upset, it does not bother me to buy it again, that app freaking rocks! Just curious as to if I needed to do anything particular when I am able to jalbreak again. Thanks in advance.
    You should have to just login to your account on cydia like normal and it will be marked as purchased. I already deleted mywi and reinstalled it with just cydia and it was marked as purchased.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

Jmataska (2010-09-11)

Bitter/Sweet

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    You should have to just login to your account on cydia like normal and it will be marked as purchased. I already deleted mywi and reinstalled it with just cydia and it was marked as purchased.
    Thank ya sir.

Or Leave a Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by toyvan View Post
    OK, so I have read EVERY post in this thread(this morning in bed on my iPad ) - This may seem like a "selfish" post, but I'm sure there are more than a few others that share the same concerns.

I have been a Rock supporter, customer, and developer since day one. I even designed all the icons for the different categories(bet nobody knew that )I believe competition is healthy and it makes people think "outside-of-the-box" to better their products and service. So I was clearly excited when Rock came on the scene.

Now, as a theme creator/developer Rock has been simply incredible! Here are just a few of MY reasons, as a developer, not an average user who just cares about the UI and loading speed.

1. Developer support. I can email Mario, Glenn or Tom directly and get a response within 24 hours, sometimes sooner! I have emailed, sent texts, got on IRC chat, twittered, facebooked, and even called Saurik NUMEROUS times over the last 18 months, with not even one single reply!(btw, his phone# is publicly posted on his website, I didn't call the FBI). I have literally felt like a stalker! lol!(maybe he called the FBI??!?) My point is, if this is the kind of support and communication I have to look forward to>>>>>>>!! And to top it off Saurik replies to someone on here in less thasn 10 minutes?!?!?!?! ..nuff said.

2. The developer portal is a MUST have. The ability to check sales stats 24/7, great! I can give out promotional licenses to anyone I choose..perfect! This has been an invaluable tool for me and I don't see how I can run my "business" without it!

3. Theme promotion. Let's face it, theme's get no love in Cydia! Don't get me wrong, there are GREAT themes available on Cydia, however it is littered with a bunch of crap that is crappier than crap! The theme section in Cydia hasn't been updated for over a year!!(is it that obvious I'm a theme creator? ). Yes, I may be bias on this because my themes have done VERY well on Rock, and have had a lot of publicity on their home page, but from what I've read on here, I'm not the only one. I am willing to bet that the "average" user who jailbreaks, does it so they can theme their device! NOBODY WANTS THEIR IPHONE TO LOOK LIKE IT DOES OTB!!!! And if their is someone out there who does, you're a screwdriver short of a tool-box!

There are probably more things I could add to this list, but that will suffice for now. Rock has been very good to me and I will miss the relationship I have had with Mario and crew. I just hope that Jay, will be more pro-active in his relationships with developers, or hire someone who will(**raises his hand**). I told you this would be a somewhat "selfish" post, so if you desire to respond, please choose your words wisely...Cheers!

-ToyVan

Exactly.

Sauik, My theme/themes has been in the Cydia approval process for 36days. Rock got it done in 5.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    Rock's backup feature will be coming to Cydia. Rock only had faster loading because it did not honor APT correctly, so there were numerous buggy situations where you got screwed: there was even a recent time when Rock was screwing up an installation so core that everyone had to restore... Rock's speed was just because it was sloppy.
    You bought something that was "Sloppy" ... That isn't a good business plan. Or could it be that Rock was only going to get better? Its not bad business to say that your competition was getting to big and you wanted to buy them out.

I think this was a good move but don't bash the product that you just bought.

I hope that The Rock crew does keeps developing apps, they have make some of the best.

So how do you create a cydia account for all the paid rock apps(transfer licenses)?

Wow this sucks, I love Rock, Cydia is a slow, prehistoric looking piece of crap. The developer seriously needs to completely rewrite Cydia before it can even be considered somewhat useful.

I never did like RoCK Your Phone but I got it any way. Found a few apps I liked and wanted so I downloaded and installed. But I had to buy the full license feature so I did but I never received the full license key code to fully activate the apps I purchased. Emailed the developer but no reply emailed rock but no reply. So now I personally don't like the RoCK.app

Thanks

Cydia > Rock
    It's always been like that. Glad to see Cydia is now the only installer now.

Pretty big news... Awesome, can't wait to see "times ahead"

Man I wander If these stores give the dev team a cut? Makin that much money and the guys makin it possible to install them are doing so for free or charity. I'd def give those guys a cut even if it's just beer money. Who knows they might even be too humble to accept a actual payroll from jailbreaking even if it was offered.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Aliquippakid For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (2010-09-13)

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Aside from K.nits and a handful of others, the past 50 - 75 posts make me sick. The level of ignorant entitlement displayed by members of this site is pathetic. Want, want, want! If you bothered to pull your head out of your tail and read, you would notice that Saurik himself has posted on here and addressed, if not disproven, basically every single issue that y'all have whined about. iPhone 3G users complaining about speed! Now that is just funny.
    I'm sorry to p*ss on your Wheatyflakes, but we purchase (with real money) Apps from Cydia and when we use Cydia we view paid-for advertising.

Our entitlement is is based on the fact that we are paying customers. Cydia is a business, not a charity. We are not getting free stuff.

Do you subscribe to the view that 'the customer is always right'?
    I bet you are just as quick to excercise your own consumer rights (entitlement) as the rest of us.

Default Heuh????
    Quote Originally Posted by garbs View Post
    I don't use Rock, but this is kind of disappointing. Competition is a good thing, and saurik hasn't exactly been speedy with the updates lately as it is. We still don't even have a Cydia icon that's made for the retina display...
    wtf are you talking about, Saurik updated cydia for the iphone 4 before the jailbreak was out... the icon has been updated since iphone 4 was jailbroken.

and what do you want him to upgrade...? everything works fine.

Dont change something that works.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast